• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why, but I went and watched a random Happy Hour video from 2011. It's amazing how magical those WM years were where everyone was just hanging out and producing a mismatch of stuff and acting normal and not in character. Ryan was such a great host, and everyone was in such great form. The only negative I can think of from this time was Vinny was saddled in the control room.

I wish there were an easy way to download all the WM stuff. I had forgotten a bunch. What a great time for the site.

Edit: Jeez. Remember quests and the question of the week? Can't believe how long ago that stuff is now.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I thought the period where the happy hour was the only premium content they did was pretty mediocre.

They got so much better once they dropped it.

Lelcar

Whiskey Media was truly a fantastic era for Giant Bomb. Ryan, Vinny and Jeff remains to be my perfect trifecta of people. And the guests, the friends of the site, were a lot more reoccurring back then.

Mully

Whiskey Media was basically a really awesome public access network, that allowed you some time to get a drink when the anime started.

I thought the period where the happy hour was the only premium content they did was pretty mediocre.

What bothered me was they kept promising new and more stuff, and failing to deliver. New shows! More content! We'll actually start on time! And, it never took off for, what we can look back now, budgetary reasons. I was harsh during these issues, but in retrospect, they are my second favorite time with my favorite being the time right before the move to the Whiskey Media offices.

But, then again, I kept thinking after the merger CBS would just absorb Giant Bomb into GameSpot, so my opinion on all of this is suspect to many. And, I was way wrong. But, I still think the site went into a spiral after the departure of Dave leading into Ryan and Patrick's departures (and continues to this day where I rarely visit the site, barely visit this thread, and use qlcrew.com to avoid certain personalities at all cost because I find them obnoxious and stupid).

Anyway, my point (other than reminding people of those Whiskey Media days) is that there are probably a lot of fans that never saw anything prior to the last couple of years or so. There's probably a sizable chunk that never saw Ryan host the podcast so skillfully, or any of his content. Nor, the weird early morning outings of Vinny and Dave in the Phantasmagoria or Blade Runner and such. Remember the Saw quicklooks? Jurassic The Hunter? And, the forever incomplete Running of the Lanterns? Story Time Adventure? Jeff and his "creeper cam"?

I don't know. It made my nostalgic for whatever reason. And, I felt like sharing.

Edit: Also, remember when they held hostage the bombcast behind the premium paywall for a week? That was a truly scumbag move.

And, prior to his death, I really wished they finished The Ripper and The Running of the Lantern (though i understand that after the "faggot" outburst by Ryan that they would never finish TRofL anyway).

That was the dark time when GB subscriptions weren't really worth it. The Happy Hours became increasingly rote and there were no real other premium content of note. The site was great, but very little of that greatness was behind a paywall.

hamchan

Never forget their false advertising of "daily premium content". Pffftt that never happened lol.

Also remember when they wanted to split the bombcast up. Yeesh, what a bad idea that was. Can't believe it's been like 4 and a half years since then.

Been some rough times with a Giant Bomb but I've always stuck with them.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
But, then again, I kept thinking after the merger CBS would just absorb Giant Bomb into GameSpot, so my opinion on all of this is suspect to many. And, I was way wrong. But, I still think the site went into a spiral after the departure of Dave leading into Ryan and Patrick's departures (and continues to this day where I rarely visit the site, barely visit this thread, and use qlcrew.com to avoid certain personalities at all cost because I find them obnoxious and stupid).

What a shit way of putting that.

What a shit way of putting that.

I thought the site's quality declined greatly after Dave left, then Ryan's untimely death, and then Patrick's departure to Kotaku. I don't know another way of putting it. In fact, I mentioned that I always though GB would get absorbed into GameSpot prior to all of this in my original post. Dave's departure, Ryan's death, and Patrick's leaving were huge. I don't know how else to phrase it without sounding negative (which I was at the time and how I feel now) and not sound disingenuous. The site changed greatly, and in my mind for the worse, after those three were no longer involved. All of this is which is why I went from a heavy poster in the GB threads to my rarely occasional posts.

But, I said something negative about GB in this thread and I know how that usually goes.

Anyway, I said all I've meant to say. People should go back and watch the Whiskey Media and previous stuff.

I'm regretting I posted a positive "old days" post. Oh well. Ignore, I guess. Unsubscribe from threads.

Jintor

I don't think it declined. It just changed, and not necessarily to everybody's tastes.

I just wish the content wasn't so split into the two camps. Obviously people gotta live where people gotta live, but it sucks to have Vinny and Alex basically only ever producing Vinny and Alex content.

Can't wait for BBLSL

Anyway, I said all I've meant to say. People should go back and watch the Whiskey Media and previous stuff.

I'm regretting I posted a positive "old days" post. Oh well. Ignore, I guess. Unsubscribe from threads.

It's fine to live in the past. I don't blame ya.

But don't discredit everything they've done since. Dans been a boon to the site.

It's fine to live in the past. I don't blame ya.

But don't discredit everything they've done since. Dans been a boon to the site.

I've seen stuff since Dan's involvement because my membership charged me back in September of last year despite my cancellation. Either he is as dumb as his online character "persona" allows, or he is that obnoxious and obtuse in real life as he showcases. Whatever. I don't find him entertaining, and I think he is terrible. And, I think the entertainment that people find from him saddening and entirely oppositional of the old Giant Bomb. But, again, what do I know? I've said my piece and I'll leave.

I've seen stuff since Dan's involvement because my membership charged me back in September of last year despite my cancellation. Either he is as dumb as his online character "persona" allows, or he is that obnoxious and obtuse in real life as he showcases. Whatever. I don't find him entertaining, and I think his is terrible. And, I think the entertainment that people find from him saddening and entirely oppositional of the old Giant Bomb. But, again, what do I know. I've said my piece and I'll leave.

Hohoho, you yearn for the past and yet here you are, calling people who enjoy the entertainment Dan provides 'saddening' and that we are what's wrong- I'm sorry, let me correct myself "opposing to old Giant Bomb". If you're insinuating that we're spitting in the memory of Giant Bomb, then don't try to flower your language. But we do both agree on one thing, your leaving. The GB community doesn't need someone who mocks kindred viewers for enjoying the offerings provided by what brings us together. Good bye.

Myggen

I can't seem to find the original Big Live Live Shows, can anybody help me outs?

It seems to be lost to time. Not on Youtube that I can find, and not on the site.

I know people have been asking about it before, and others coming up empty. so I assume it's not to be found. Maybe someone have it downloaded and will upload it to Youtube one day or something.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Don't really want to continue this argument because yes, it's fine if you don't like the new cast, everybody are entitled to like what they like, but what did you the old giantbomb was that makes Dan opposite to what they were about? Dumb, casual and funny videogame stuff as opposed to dumb (dumber, I'll grant you that), casual and funny videogame stuff?

Hohoho, you yearn for the past and yet here you are, calling people who enjoy the entertainment Dan provides 'saddening' and that we are what's wrong- I'm sorry, let me correct myself "opposing to old Giant Bomb". If you're insinuating that we're spitting in the memory of Giant Bomb, then don't try to flower your language. But we do both agree on one thing, your leaving. The GB community doesn't need someone who mocks kindred viewers for enjoying the offerings provided by what brings us together. Good bye.

Ya got me! (hands shake in that breaking bad gif)

sorry i said something negative about GB. I'm out, for good. Wish I stilled owned Gbendurancerun.com and vinnybomb.com to redirect my hate, I suppose. but, all OT are the same and insular once they enter the OT. Unless you are 100%, you might as well be 0%.

Myggen

Yep AFAIK it's gone, save for a few segments on YouTube, shame really!

Yeah, a lot of the live streams from back then and earlier were never archived, and that probably includes BLLSL. Did they still maybe use Ustream back then or something? I forget.

I don't know why, but I went and watched a random Happy Hour video from 2011. It's amazing how magical those WM years were where everyone was just hanging out and producing a mismatch of stuff and acting normal and not in character. Ryan was such a great host, and everyone was in such great form. The only negative I can think of from this time was Vinny was saddled in the control room.

I wish there were an easy way to download all the WM stuff. I had forgotten a bunch. What a great time for the site.

Edit: Jeez. Remember quests and the question of the week? Can't believe how long ago that stuff is now.

While the Whiskey Media era was sweet, Happy Hour was more miss than hit for me. Probably the worst long running video series they've ever done, with some fantastic moments.

I like Giant Bomb dot com.

Do you like Giant Bomb dot com?

I like it~ Just like I like...League of Legends~!

spoiler]sorry i said something negative about GB. I'm out, for good. Wish I stilled owned Gbendurancerun.com and vinnybomb.com to redirect my hate, I suppose. but, all OT are the same and insular once they enter the OT. Unless you are 100%, you might as well be 0%.[/spoiler]

You can pretend it's a blind community lashing out at you. But in the end, the only sad person is the one wishing to redirect your hate to current GB through other means. Good bye. This is twice I say that. You don't want to make me into a liar, do you?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

I like you.

It's okay not to like things but it's silly to expect everyone not to like it with you.

Jothel

I like Giant Bomb dot com.

Do you like Giant Bomb dot com?
Yes Taylor I certainly do!

Yeah, a lot of the live streams from back then and earlier were never archived, and that probably includes BLLSL. Did they still maybe use Ustream back then or something? I forget.
I think so? Did they use Justin.tv at some point too?
The Happy Hour highs were very high but boy the lows were low too

danm999

]sorry i said something negative about GB. I'm out, for good. Wish I stilled owned Gbendurancerun.com and vinnybomb.com to redirect my hate, I suppose. but, all OT are the same and insular once they enter the OT. Unless you are 100%, you might as well be 0%.

It's that old "it's fine not to like something, so long as you're not a jerk about it" that I would suggest you reflect upon.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Come on, there wasn't anything to be angry about until you all followed up on it.
Giant Bomb is certainly different today and that sucks for you if you don't like it anymore. Not hard to relate.

edit: I'm actually interested in what sites you visit instead of GB. Like, what gives you what you're missing?

hamchan

I like the "Unless you are 100%, you might as well be 0%" as if we don't criticize Giant Bomb on a near weekly basis. In particular there is always a bunch of criticism for Dan and how the man acts on Twitter.

Lol I like how this dude is acting like a victim because people don't agree with his criticism
It's not even the criticism, it's everything around the criticism. It's not the first time someone has come into the thread and insulted a member of the giant bomb crew, only to act like a victim when they get called out for being a jerk.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
my main Dan related criticism is actually how completely he disengages from any topic he isn't already super invested in on the Bombcast. Sometimes he speaks and its kind of startling, like, oh, Dan's on this podcast... right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom