• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tricky's cooler, but SSX 3 is one of the best games of all time

I'm a really big fan of the connected mountain in 3. Being able to seamlessly flow from a backcountry run into the lodge/hub area and hear yer boy DJ Atomika tell you what's up is a really cool thing.

Also I don't understand what's up with the stream of hearts in the bottom right of this Periscope page.

Tucah

you speak so well
I'm a really big fan of the connected mountain in 3. Being able to seamlessly flow from a backcountry run into the lodge/hub area and hear yer boy DJ Atomika tell you what's up is a really cool thing.

Also I don't understand what's up with the stream of hearts in the bottom right of this Periscope page.

On mobile you can tap to heart.

Also SSX3 really is fantastic.

Eh, I feel like this is how valve operates. They don't really know how the market would react so they just throw shit out and see what sticks.
that's exactly what they do

they're on the forefront of all if this

there is nothing to model after, they're seeing what works in real time and we're the guinea pigs

I generally approve of DJ Atomika, but Rahzel is better. Having a guy beatbox and shout out "FUNKY DOPE MANEUVER" and shit while you're snowboarding is awesome.

bigkrev

Of course Jeff has a Sling TV subscription in addition to his cable subscription. Of course he does. I think Jeff may have the most service subscriptions of any man in America.

I'm thinking of getting one because FIOS doesn't carry the El Ray Network, and I want to watch Lucha Underground in both HD and English

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I thought the site's quality declined greatly after Dave left, then Ryan's untimely death, and then Patrick's departure to Kotaku. I don't know another way of putting it. In fact, I mentioned that I always though GB would get absorbed into GameSpot prior to all of this in my original post. Dave's departure, Ryan's death, and Patrick's leaving were huge. I don't know how else to phrase it without sounding negative (which I was at the time and how I feel now) and not sound disingenuous. The site changed greatly, and in my mind for the worse, after those three were no longer involved. All of this is which is why I went from a heavy poster in the GB threads to my rarely occasional posts.

But, I said something negative about GB in this thread and I know how that usually goes.

Anyway, I said all I've meant to say. People should go back and watch the Whiskey Media and previous stuff.

I'm regretting I posted a positive "old days" post. Oh well. Ignore, I guess. Unsubscribe from threads.

I was critiquing the way your sentence structure read. Your sentence to me basically read that Dave's departure from the site lead to Ryan's passing and Patrick leaving.

But keep on playing the "oh I can't criticize because I know how it goes around here" card

I will never understand the evangelizing of the old GB stuff even when honestly it wasn't as great as now. The only things currently missing is Ryan's take on all of this (RIP :( ) and more content (either new or returning)

The same stuff happens when someone takes over the podcast and people yearning for the previous host.

I've been watching the site like... every week non-stop since 2009, and I like it a lot right now.

Waiting for GB East to kick off, though. Come on Vinny. Give us some good news on Wednesday or something.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I will never understand the evangelizing of the old GB stuff even when honestly it wasn't as great as now. The only things currently missing is Ryan's take on all of this (RIP :( ) and more content (either new or returning)

The same stuff happens when someone takes over the podcast and people yearning for the previous host.

Basement Punk Rock GB had Ryan, Vinny+Jeff combo, Snide, and Coonce.

Modern stuff don't even come close.

Also Basement GB had better stupid fan stuff sent to them instead of 'der here's my old games and some other garbage i don't want.'

The same stuff happens when someone takes over for the podcast.

I would agree with you up until Vinny went to NY. The lack of premium stuff from him sucks, he's always been more of a gamer's gamer since he's almost always played games for pleasure and not because he needed to do a writeup for them. his perspective on them seems/seemed less cynical than the rest of the staff likely due to that.

So hopefully they have the new hire stuff sorted out already and they'll have a 3 person team going in NY so that he can do more of his thing.

Basement Punk Rock GB had Ryan, Vinny+Jeff combo, Snide, and Coonce.

Modern stuff don't even come close.

Eh does nothing for me tbh.

I would agree with you up until Vinny went to NY. The lack of premium stuff from him sucks, he's always been more of a gamer's gamer since he's almost always played games for pleasure and not because he needed to do a writeup for them. his perspective on them seems/seemed less cynical than the rest of the staff likely due to that.

So hopefully they have the new hire stuff sorted out already and they'll have a 3 person team going in NY so that he can do more of his thing.

I wanted to place Vinny leaving in there due to the lost dynamic/positivity but i also think its a good opportunity to build something with GBEAST (especially with Alex just fucking lingering before this).

He just needs to get back on the site some more.

Myggen

Jeff Gerstmann @jeffgerstmann

BREAKING: Shares of Konami now to be exclusively dispensed via pachislot machines and back-alley knife fights.

This made me laugh.

Gonna be a good week of GB content.

There was a WWE PPV last night. and I forgot about it because there was no PB Cast!

I still have the WWE Network (for NXT), so I guess I should watch.

M3z_

I think the reason people like myself who like the early Giant Bomb stuff more than the new is due to a few things. Mainly for me probably was just the energy the guys all had and the sense of community between those in the office because they all wanted to make things work and be successful being a start up that was not yet proven. There were a lot of videos of the office and them sort of just shooting the shit, things you see today but don't value as much because you have 7 years of it, where as at the time it was refreshingly different. Watching stuff from that time period their is a distinct sense of day to day enthusiasm that has decreased overtime. I don't criticize them for that at all. When the site first launched they got to go to work everyday and think about what they wanted to be as a site and what they wanted to do. Nowadays they are constrained by a certain degree of fan expectations and also they have been working the job recording weekly podcasts and daily quicklooks for 7 years. Anyone no matter what profession they are in are likely to experience a lessening enthusiasm for the day to day without change.

Jeff has mentioned multiple times in podcasts and mixlr streams about his desire to constantly be thinking about new things the site could be doing, and always being supportive of ideas to mix things up. That is a totally reasonable perspective for him because it's his job that he attends 5 days a week and when you are working somewhere for 7 years it's nice to feel like you don't do the exact same shit everyday. I give them credit they have really tried a variety of things and they still come up with a lot of fun things. That said however as a fan watching their content I can say that these days there is a vibe from the old stuff that doesn't exist in the new.

I mean there was also just a lot less content in the old days, which you could deem as being bad, but for people thinking back on the old days they did not have the same degree of expectation for large amounts of content then so that does not effect their evaluation of that time period.

I would state I still very much enjoy what the new GB does, I just think the early stuff had some powerful things going for it that reasonably diminished overtime. They are still my favorite place to visit and I hope whoever joins GB East works out great.

The basement and WM days were by far the best and the content I always go back to. Doesn't mean GB isn't great still it was just the perfect time, place and people kinda thing.

WHAT DID YOU DO!?!?

tumblr_inline_nbwp8q62Lo1qb973a.png

i wonder what chaos breaker did

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom