• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plenty of arguments to be found in other threads, but a quick recap of my concerns in no particular order:

-I don't like encouraging unfinished games being sold with the justification that they can just make more money later if people mod the games. Bethesda is already comfortable enough releasing buggy ass games. They shouldn't be rewarded further when somebody else steps up to fix their mistakes.

-The modders, who are doing the largest share of the work on any given mod, got the smallest share of the money.

-It was released into an already healthy mod community that had been built up as a free resource for the game.

And, a more minor issue because it's just a slippery slope argument but it's all sorts of relevant given who is involved:

"It's only horse armor vote with your wallet and nobody will ever release more DLC"

Inherently they mightn't be a bad idea, but as I said in this thread a few days ago, Valve's plan to basically throw the system up and watch how everything went was a disaster waiting to happen for obvious reasons.

Thanks. I guess I might never fully understand that stuff, then, as despite those explanations, it seemed like a fine way of doing things. Go figure.

BearPawB

Banned
Thanks. I guess I might never fully understand that stuff, then, as despite those explanations, it seemed like a fine way of doing things. Go figure.

I agree, it seems like people yelling for the sake of yelling.
The only thing I saw as really troublesome is that people were stealing bits from other peoples mods and profiting them.

The system will work and be great, when it launches with the right game. Dota has shown that paying creators to make cool stuff works

danm999

Again, don't think it's bad inherently. It can work with the right game.

But Skyrim?

As long as Valve's return policy is as bad as it is, as long as Valve's curation is as lax as it is, as long as Valve has no DMCA style takedown system, and as long as Valve has no mechanism to determine who made what in which mods, and thus who is entitled to compensation, I don't think it was a fine way of doing things.

It very much seemed like Valve and Bethesda expected to launch this system and watch the money roll in.

I agree, it seems like people yelling for the sake of yelling.
The only thing I saw as really troublesome is that people were stealing bits from other peoples mods and profiting them.

The system will work and be great, when it launches with the right game. Dota has shown that paying creators to make cool stuff works

Yeah if people were stealing that stuff and profiting, then that's definitely a problem. I guess it will work better when they start from scratch so that creators can get their stuff out there and stake a claim first before all the copycats show up.

Anjin M

Did any entire discussion of SSX3 happen in this thread and I missed it because of work? Damn it, I have to quit now because this can't happen again.

BearPawB

Banned
Did any entire discussion of SSX3 happen in this thread and I missed it because of work? Damn it, I have to quit now because this can't happen again.

I actually really liked that SSX with the dangerous cliffs.
I thought it was a fun and challenging system

The 360/PS3 SSX was pretty fun with the exception of some really spotty track design (specifically I remember the caves being garbage and too many tracks with bottomless cliffs everywhere). It had some good styyyyyle though.

They're going to announce the new hire on the BLLSL right?

If a hire is already made at this point, I am going to guess the whole CBSi background check thing will not be bypassed just to give them a chance to do that.

Also, presenting a new hire in front of people is a bad way to make a first impression.

Other than Rorie showing up in a random Mailbag, GB staff (going back to Vinny/Brad) have always debuted on a piece of content doing there job - not paraded like some kinda trophy

If a hire is already made at this point, I am going to guess the whole CBSi background check thing will not be bypassed just to give them a chance to do that.

Also, presenting a new hire in front of people is a bad way to make a first impression.

Other than Rorie showing up in a random Mailbag, GB staff (going back to Vinny/Brad) have always debuted on a piece of content doing there job - not paraded like some kinda trophy

At least as far as video goes. For Dan and Jason, they just had them on the Bombcast; which for me is the perfect place to do it. I think it's really hard to tell how they would debut a new hire anyway. The newest production/editor staff before Jason and Dan was Drew, who was hired in 2009. Everyone else like Alexis and Rorie were hired as behind the scenes type stuff who just ended up on camera.

BearPawB

Banned
HOLY SHIT
This dota patch might as well make it Dota 3.
It is a whole new game.
Like, it can't be overstated how crazy awesome this new patch sounds

Cindro

I am so excited for a Vinny-cast.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I rarely watch GBeast content. I queued up the MK8 QuickLook today, however, because I love the game. Vinny's quip of "Oh, is he off the sauce?" to Alex saying Dry Bowser is a playable character had me rolling.

I had forgotten how much I had missed him. I really hope the new hire is a GBeaster, and the three of them then do their own podcast.

Also, have they said how long the live stream on Wednesday will last?

Bacon

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I rarely watch GBeast content. I queued up the MK8 QuickLook today, however, because I love the game. Vinny's quip of "Oh, is he off the sauce?" to Alex saying Dry Bowser is a playable character had me rolling.

I had forgotten how much I had missed him. I really hope the new hire is a GBeaster, and the three of them then do their own podcast.

You should watch some gbeast quick looks, they're quite good.

BearPawB

Banned
Does it make it good?

It is way too early to tell.
But it seems to fix a lot of the problems with the current meta.
It just adds SO MUCH STUFF, it is almost overwhelming

Is DOTA approachable then or is it still a giant void

This is going to make people who know the game have to learn some of it all over again. It is going to take awhile to
really retain all this new information.

It is way too early to tell.
But it seems to fix a lot of the problems with the current meta.
It just adds SO MUCH STUFF, it is almost overwhelming

This is going to make people who know the game have to learn some of it all over again. It is going to take awhile to
really retain all this new information.

Yeah it's a big patch. Seems to be the equivalent of a season patch in League, I can't think of patches similar in size for Heroes of the Storm. I'm on a League kicker right now but I'll probably play more doto once the patch rolls around.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Y'know, there's quite a bit of GBeast content right now.

Late, but I honestly hope that they finished recording right before the paid mods reversal came about and with Vinny in the office we get a "Doesn't sound like anything is going to change tomorrow" situation.

Jintor

Again, don't think it's bad inherently. It can work with the right game.

But Skyrim?

As long as Valve's return policy is as bad as it is, as long as Valve's curation is as lax as it is, as long as Valve has no DMCA style takedown system, and as long as Valve has no mechanism to determine who made what in which mods, and thus who is entitled to compensation, I don't think it was a fine way of doing things.

It very much seemed like Valve and Bethesda expected to launch this system and watch the money roll in.

Valve's curation is shithouse. I don't know how they expected this to work without a dedicated curation team out scouting on an individual level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom