• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

Oh good. I don't listen to Alt+F1, so I didn't hear that. I just assumed that he wouldn't be able to make it since Colin and Greg live goes from 11-12:30ish (Pacific) and, when they have a guest, they go out to treat them to lunch and then (in this case) return to record a podcast that is usually roughly 1 to 1.5 hours long.

We'll see I guess.

Liamc723

I was thinking of making a thread on this on the gaming side but I feared I would be torn apart.

Are any of you duders just getting completely bored of 2D indie side-scrolling games?

I started playing Shovel Knight yesterday, and 3 hours of playtime later, I'm bored of it. 2D games just don't offer me the same level of enjoyment that a 3D game can give.

Myggen

I was thinking of making a thread on this on the gaming side but I feared I would be torn apart.

Are any of you duders just getting completely bored of 2D indie side-scrolling games?

I started playing Shovel Knight yesterday, and 3 hours of playtime later, I'm bored of it. 2D games just don't offer me the same level of enjoyment that a 3D game can give.

Not me, but I get where people are coming from with this, you included. Like Jeff said when talking about Axiom Verge, there's SO MANY of these games coming out of the indie scene that there seems to be a lot of bad or mediocre ones to every really good one. And that will make some people tired of the whole thing eventually.

Liamc723

Not me, but I get where people are coming from with this, you included. Like Jeff said when talking about Axiom Verge, there's SO MANY of these games coming out of the indie scene that there seems to be a lot of bad or mediocre ones to every really good one. And that will make some people tired of the whole thing eventually.

Yeah, there's just so many of them at the moment. I have Axiom Verge to play after Shovel Knight and I really fear the same thing will happen, after hearing so many good things about it.

That's cause none of the quests in the gameare in any way memorable. Not even the side quests for your companions.

Quests not being memorable would be fine, but everything in that game is entirely forgettable. I can remember more from last years 5 hour call of duty campaign than I can from my 60 odd hours spent with Dragon age.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

I've always felt this way for years. You're certainly not alone, but I don't think people should be robbed of those 2d indie games they like. I just wish more indie developers looked at different systems to draw inspiration from rather than, 'Metroid is really well liked. Let's make a Metroid' or Castlevania or Zelda or whatever.

There are definitely people out there with an affniity for low poly art styles. At least give it a try when, honestly, a lot of the 2d 'pixel art' looks like they're made from the same person.

repeater

Like, they just put out a video last night as part of their podcast about Anti-Americanism. All because Colin, a straight, cis white Republican, was mildly disrespected for being an American while in Iceland recently. And he was all, "I don't understand why you would hate someone just for where they're from, something they can't control." While simultaneously proclaiming America to be the greatest country on Earth and saying everyone is jealous of America.
Twitter handle: @notaxation. That there pretty much gives it away.
"No taxation"? Really, man? What are you, 13 years old?

chogidogs

Happy for Greg and Kinda Funny having a stage at e3. I'd rather have Gamespot focus on their efforts than to spread themselves thin between 2 stages.

danm999

One of the worst games ever made. Not even in a Big Rigs Truckers bad, but colossal fucking failure at everything it ever attempted bad.

And yet some people named it GOTY? Madness, what a good marketing budget will get you.

It suffers from trying to correct the mistakes of the last game too much; since DA2 was too short and limited they went too large with Inquisitions but very little of the content was meaningful.

Kind of like how Rare made DK 64 after Banjo Kazooie. Hopefully Bioware still has it in them to walk a middle ground; a Banjo Tooeie.

Is this where I poke the beast again and mention that I liked it?

And that it won DICE's Game of the Year, which is given by fellow developers?

Opinions, man.

Still not willing to debate merits! You hate it, I like it and both are valid.

The DICE awards only demonstrates that the people who make middling games enjoy similarly middling games.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
One of the worst games ever made. Not even in a Big Rigs Truckers bad, but colossal fucking failure at everything it ever attempted bad.

And yet some people named it GOTY? Madness, what a good marketing budget will get you.

You must not play many games if you think DA:I is one of the worst games ever

This is the most hyperbolic thing i have ever read

I've yet to see a single person make a coherent argument to why it's good, much less GOTY material.

Or was that same, drawn-out, overly fucking long pickup animation which was reused for nearly every interaction in the game that fucking majestic to see over and over again over the course of 60+ hours?

You must not play many games if you think DA:I is one of the worst games ever

Oh, I've played a lot of games. I've played a lot of bad games, and sometimes in those there's something worth enjoying, something exciting, something that makes up for the surrounding badness - or at least they tried. Tried to do something different.

DAI is simply, "let's put all the worse shit in MMOs into this bad RPG with a villain that is completely ineffective with a cast of characters that are all varying degrees of insufferable in their own unique ways."

a good game is a good game and it can surpass fatigue. the market is bursting with subpar 2d games but that shouldn't damage when good ones arrive.

-- the following is more a broad critique than a response to you btw

i don't give a lot of weight to opinions that are like "I'm sick of [broad swath of varied games/music/movies]." it's a half-baked thought.

that email last week about being fed up with pixel graphics really annoyed me. do you really hate pixel art or do you just hate lazy pixel art and can't be bothered to figure out why it annoys you? are you shallow enough to let bad examples of a style ruin the good examples? Paranormal Activity are bad horror movies, but they don't make me dislike Rosemary's Baby. if you truly hate all pixel art, why? and why does it bother you enough to tell strangers that you hate it?

i mean, this was posed as a question so my response is "no." and people can think whatever they want and like whatever they want. but if I'm going to engage in conversation, I'm going to want details

I've yet to see a single person make a coherent argument to why it's good, much less GOTY material.

Or was that same, drawn-out, overly fucking long pickup animation which was reused for nearly every interaction in the game that fucking majestic to see over and over again over the course of 60+ hours?

Oh, I've played a lot of games. I've played a lot of bad games, and sometimes in those there's something worth enjoying, something exciting, something that makes up for the surrounding badness - or at least they tried. Tried to do something different.

DAI is simply, "let's put all the worse shit in MMOs into this bad RPG with a villain that is completely ineffective with a cast of characters that are all varying degrees of insufferable in their own unique ways."

This is the most hyperbolic thing i have ever read

daydream

Banned
i'd rather play big rigs than dragon age

i'm coming for your speedrun time, alex

a good game is a good game and it can surpass fatigue. the market is bursting with subpar 2d games but that shouldn't damage when good ones arrive.

i don't give a lot of weight to opinions that are like "I'm sick of [broad swath of varied games/music/movies]." it's a half-baked thought.

that email last week about being fed up with pixel graphics really annoyed me. do you really hate pixel art or do you just hate lazy pixel art and can't be bothered to figure out why it annoys you? are you shallow enough to let bad examples of a style ruin the good examples? Paranormal Activity are bad horror movies, but they don't make me dislike Rosemary's Baby. if you truly hate all pixel art, why? and why does it bother you enough to tell strangers that you hate it?

thinking is hard for most people

Bacon

You're always so angry

I've had a similar feeling and going back to the old SNES/Genesis generation my issue is a lack of genuine style, or artistic individuality to make a lot of stuff like Shovel Knight stick out - it feels like its simply aping that generation when there was nothing but pixel art. There's a lot of outright bizarre shit from that time which stands on its own a hell of a lot better than what comes out nowadays, and it just feels exhausting to look at.

Also maybe I just came into gaming too late to have nothing but contempt for platformers, especially collectible platformers.

You can not like the game, that's fine.
But to compare it to a game as fundamentally broken as big rigs is a joke and you know it

I'm not comparing it, I'm saying Big Rigs is actually a fundamentally better experience because it requires a lot less time investment and there's some hilarity to the brokenness.

DAI's jank is just fucking depressing considering the budget, manhours, and marketing budget that is supposed to make this game a big deal but going back and looking at everything the genre has to offer, especially with Divinity Original Sin which came out that same year, is goddamn soul breaking.

Patryn

I'm trying to adopt a more positive attitude towards games, where I focus on the games I like and try not to dwell on things I didn't like. I've also come to accept that many of my favorite games are games that other people really dislike. I call it my "Shinobi mindset".

Honestly, I find that I'm enjoying gaming a lot more. It really is true that positivity breeds positivity.

Also maybe I just came into gaming too late to have nothing but contempt for platformers, especially collectible platformers.

"Platformers" is at least a narrow enough definition of gameplay to be useful for discussion though.

I guess it was really specifically the pixel art thing that just really got under my skin

DONT TRUST PROFLOWERS DOT COM

Order that --> Get this

tF58qOY.jpg

6OG6EbU.jpg

vHkQV0Dl.jpg

TRUST ME. I WILL GET YOU WHAT YOU NEED. FLOWERS. ANYTHING.

It's such a weird way to marginalize things you may enjoy. The more arbitrary limits you self-impose, the smaller the scope there is of available entertainment.

BanGy.nz

Banned
Hello,

I am a fan of the content found on Giant Bomb Dot Com. Are any of you also fans of the content found on Giant Bomb Dot Com? if you are we should be friends
(except BreezyLimbo because they play bad games and are bad)

Goodbye.

Really what do you expect when you order flowers that are going to be shipped across country in a tiny ass box.

There's usually a florist in many towns and cities, often with delivery. Just order from them.

Ketch

I had fun playing it. I had more fun playing DA:I then titanfall, dark souls 2, or mariokart which were the only other games released in 2014 that I actually played last year.

horse.gif

You know, pertaining to the 2d chat, I hate 2d Indie pixel 'metroidvania inspired' original super hard games. At this point there's too many of them. We have to start selling licenses to hunt these games down, they are a blight on games today. I agree with you guys that it's tiring seeing those type of games.

Hello,

I am a fan of the content found on Giant Bomb Dot Com. Are any of you also fans of the content found on Giant Bomb Dot Com? if you are we should be friends
(except BreezyLimbo because they play bad games and are bad)

Goodbye.

I'm trying to adopt a more positive attitude towards games, where I focus on the games I like and try not to dwell on things I didn't like. I've also come to accept that many of my favorite games are games that other people really dislike. I call it my "Shinobi mindset".

Honestly, I find that I'm enjoying gaming a lot more. It really is true that positivity breeds positivity.

I'm enough of an old fart to have just come to terms with the fact that I like the things I like, and I know why I like them. it's a great place to be, and people should really get to that point in their lives.

I guess that's just why it gets on my nerves sometimes (and Liam, I'm not bashing you) when people feel the need to just complain about things all the time without having any real argument. just... find things you like, man. fuck off with the angry video game youtubers. you don't have THAT long to live, spend your free time finding things to be happy about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom