• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mount Your Duders! (Illustration)
2745978-gbpile.jpg

Uff duh

Banned
After watching the BLLSL, it was great! It makes me miss Vinny in SF. I started watching GB during E3 2013, and I love every minute of it. I wasn't around when Alex was there any good moments with him in the archives I should watch? I have only really watched some Bombasticas with him and Scoops and the Wolf. I have to understand the GBeast.

Myggen

Danny O'Dwyer ‏@dannyodwyer

We're hoping to get Papa Vinny on Danswers tomorrow. If you have questions about moving, marriage, babies, whatever - askdanswers@gmail.com

edit:

Also shoutout to the engineers who's names escape me right now. Those guys were awesome as well. Like the REALLY tall guy. Who told me drinking with Dan is something else. Props to wenis for the sunglasses on Brad lol.
Great times had by all.

Nice! Seemed like a good time.

I joined the stream late, did Dan tell the story about he and Drake? The one where Drake was "putting out fires" or "cleaning up his mess"?

Myggen

I joined the stream late, did Dan tell the story about he and Drake? The one where Drake was "putting out fires" or "cleaning up his mess"?

Nah, they're probably saving that one until the next time Drake guests on the Bombcast.

edit: I need to get in on this pre order action for the new t-shirt.

Dares

Somebody asked Dan at the after party but he wouldn't tell it then. He said he want to have John on the bombcast so we can hear both sides of the story.

I hope everyone here who went enjoyed the afterparty.

Ended up missing a few segments that I'll need to catch up on, then there's the premium stream so I've got enough content for the rest of the week.

Anjin M

The BLLSL was far better than I expected. Congratulations to the Giant Bomb team. I was thoroughly entertained by everything I got to see.

Um, Myggen, did you sleep at all?

Myggen

The BLLSL was far better than I expected. Congratulations to the Giant Bomb team. I was thoroughly entertained by everything I got to see.

Um, Myggen, did you sleep at all?

I'm on less than 3 hours of sleep.

Gonna be a productive work day.

But it was worth it.

Do you know what day it is today? George Washington took office as the first president of the United States 226 years ago today. And it happened right here. We were going to declare a new independence. A new nation -- here. The end of the Patriot's secret rule, liberation of this country; this was where it was supposed to begin. This is where freedom could have been born.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Reupped my subscription and they had me flagged as a free user even though my premium was not up for another week or two. Oh well, I saved $5.

Started watching the stream finally. Really enjoying it. I love this dumb little site.

Myggen

Didn't see this posted here, Jeff on games journalism:

Anonymous asked: Do you think game journalism is more or less dying and what you guys do more as just entertainment is where the industry is heading?

Hard to say. There’s a large chunk of the potential audience (meaning people who are looking for info about games on the internet) who are perfectly happy just getting the company line directly from the company mouthpieces. Like trailers, community managers, that sort of thing. Some of them have gone “personality-focused” in their approach the same way we have, and it’s kind of crazy to see.

I think the people most interested in “deeper” news coverage and reviews will always be there to an extent, but if you’re asking me if any site will get back to 2005-2006 numbers by solely focusing on block-and-tackle games journalism… no way. Facebook, Twitter, and all that stuff ended that gravy train years ago. Twitter is a better viewport into most game news than any news-focused game site.

As the ad market continues to transition away from game-focused sites and game publishers and other potential advertisers reach their demographic on other sites, it’ll get harder and harder for the traditional approach to work. Some will continue to go down the custom content “informercial” hole, for whatever that’s worth. But when there are plenty of people who are willing to get info directly from the source, how long is a publisher going to pay an external company to produce something like that? We’ve been going down the subscription route, and it’s worked out pretty well for us. But if we were just reporting the news and reviewing games in the same old dry style and asking people to pay for it, I doubt that approach would work out the same way.

We’ll probably always try to be a mix of information and entertainment, if only because that’s the only style that I find interesting to produce these days. If anything, it’ll differentiate us from the standard YouTube approach and offer something for people who care enough about games to want to know more about them and the increasingly strange industry behind them.

Our “journalistic” role is, in most cases, to provide context for what’s going on and curate things a bit so that we’re focusing on things that are actually worth knowing about, rather than simply providing a firehose that blasts out every little bullshit announcement and trailer. The firehose is working reasonably well for the sites that employ it, but I have no interest in building something like that. It already exists in multiple places and I’m not convinced that it’s the winning long-term strategy, either.

Short answer: There will continue to be more turmoil and some of the sites that are around today might not make it. But new, more efficient things will probably rise out of that mess and try to find a new path.

Didn't see this posted here, Jeff on games journalism:

I read that earlier yesterday. It's interesting insight. But yeah, the youtube demographic of game reviewing is way too big for smaller game sites to compete. IGN, Gamespot, and Giant Bomb are all relics of another time. GB however started off with what is common today-'The Personality driven site', Gamespot transitioned quite well, and IGN..........well I don't really go to IGN.

I read that earlier yesterday. It's interesting insight. But yeah, the youtube demographic of game reviewing is way too big for smaller game sites to compete. IGN, Gamespot, and Giant Bomb are all relics of another time. GB however started off with what is common today-'The Personality driven site', Gamespot transitioned quite well, and IGN..........well I don't really go to IGN.
Has gamespot transitioned well? They certainly started focusing on personalities but any of the shows that are personality driven like the lobby don't get great views.

Myggen

Has gamespot transitioned well? They certainly started focusing on personalities but any of the shows that are personality driven like the lobby don't get great views.

I would call it a work in progress. They have a few really compelling personalities, but it takes time to even attempt to transition a site like Gamespot (and even then their main focus will probably always be on news and reviews).

edit: Anyone willing to resize this one to avatar size?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It's hard to see how well they are off from the outside. IGN has mor than 4 billion views on youtube, for example. Gamespot 1.4 million followers on Twitter. Just because they don't make content for people like us, they are still huge.

Myggen

It's hard to see how well they are off from the outside. IGN has mor than 4 billion views on youtube, for example. Gamespot 1.4 million followers on Twitter. Just because they don't make content for people like us, they are still huge.

Yup. Especially IGN.

Myggen

What's the best place to watch the BLLSL? About to get home from work so wanna waaaaatch

Only option right now is their Twitch channel, but if you don't wanna deal with shitty Twitch archives I'm betting the archive goes up on the site today.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Man, killer is dead is like a suda just created a whole bunch of metaphors but no longer can be bothered to tie any inherent meaning behind any of it.

Enjoyed it but maybe won't recommend it?

Great eyes though. Really stood out to me is how good the eyes are.

I don't think anyone would deny that those sites are huge, it's more a question of how many people would be interested in content focused on the personalities of those sites and it's a really small fraction.

Giantbomb is a special case and most sites could not duplicate their success.

Man, killer is dead is like a suda just created a whole bunch of metaphors but no longer can be bothered to tie any inherent meaning behind any of it.

Enjoyed it but maybe won't recommend it?

Great eyes though. Really stood out to me is how good the eyes are.

Well if you won't, I will! Game is solid and weirdly fun once you get around the hump that the story makes no sense. So... Sorta like most other Suda games, but this one is a slowed down character action one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom