• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

at my job we literally can't fill all the positions we're budgeted for. I mean we could just hire any yahoo but finding qualified people is hard. we've been under our cap for well over a year

I worked for companies like that with multiple open positions over a long term. I found they have one thing in common - unless they're based in the middle of nowhere, they're probably offering way below market average.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I don't mean this in a bad way, but the more we know about Dan the more amused I am he passed corporate vetting there. they seem so stiff in the hiring department but the dude who picks public verbal battles with former sports people and catfishes sadsacks on OK Cupid made it through.

I seem to remember Jeff at one point saying something similar about him getting through
What

justjim89

I've been of the opinion for a while now that since the hiring of Dan and Jason, Giant Bomb has been better than it's been for years. Definitely the best it's been in the current office.

hamchan

Basement is the best times but it's been pretty great since Dan and Jason got hired.

The whole Whiskey Media family, with their big office and their BLLSL and Happy Hours always felt a bit forced and unnatural to me.

2013 to 2014 before hires is the worst period, for understandable reasons.

Xater

I've been of the opinion for a while now that since the hiring of Dan and Jason, Giant Bomb has been better than it's been for years. Definitely the best it's been in the current office.

I definitely miss Patrick. Him interacting with Dan on a regular basis would have been gold.

popo

My completely uninformed guess at what happened: Cara was a shoe-in for the job, the process started, the US Embassy laughed, GB is back to square 1, and Cara is disappinted and doesn't want to continue her nomadic style of reporting.

I doubt it. HR would have done the first pass at the applications and I doubt a foreign national with no visa even made the first cut.

Likely it is just taking a long time to find a woman who is capable of doing the job
this was a joke, please stop hitting me!

Srsly, I bet it being NY put a lot of people off. Unless you already live there is is going to be an expensive move for the likely salary. At least in SF you are in a fairly small city and with an awful lot of other people in the same boat. Move to NY as a single person and I can see settling in being a pretty lonely affair.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
yeah, post Ryan up until E3 2014 was (understandably) the slump period, and even then it was responsible for some of the best content on the site. (Motorbike QL, Bioforge...)

Wait, were those during that period? Patrick was in for bioforge so I don't think that was post-ryan.

Lelcar

anonymous asked: said:
Would you be able to give a hint as to how many Premium Subscriptions you sold during the BLLSL?

jeffgerstmann via tumblr said:
We did pretty dang well.

That's really good to hear. I was curious about this too. The BLLSL was so damned good, I'm glad that it paid off for them.

popo

That's really good to hear. I was curious about this too. The BLLSL was so damned good, I'm glad that it paid off for them.

I believe Jeff 100%, but nobody ever says "we are doing terribly and are likely to go under". First you heard of Whiskey being in trouble was after they were sold.

Jeff's been pretty open about it though. They were already doing well enough to open up the budget to do more special events, etc. This just bolsters that and opens more opportunities. I'm really happy for them.

I think he's even said they're one of the few game sites that aren't operating at a loss (Kotaku)

The BLLSL used the be the event to usher in new Premium features, but I don't feel like that's the case this time. I like Demo Derby and of course MGS, but I hope (at least) Flight Club makes a comeback like Vinny alluded to.

Antiwhippy

Also iirc weren't there talks that whiskey media was basically set up to be sold for awhile now? They certainly found some very high profile buyers.

Jeff's been pretty open about it though. They were already doing well enough to open up the budget to do more special events, etc. This just bolsters that and opens more opportunities. I'm really happy for them.

It's great that they are finally able to do things they've wanted to do for a long time, they've certainly earned it.

I'm interested to see how E3 does for them this year, I remember Jeff saying they had crazy good numbers last year.

Bacon

Blight Club is a new GBEast feature.

But they've been doing blight club for months now
troll.png

Antiwhippy

The BLLSL used the be the event to usher in new Premium features, but I don't feel like that's the case this time. I like Demo Derby and of course MGS, but I hope (at least) Flight Club makes a comeback like Vinny alluded to.

Uh, they did debut the best regular premium feature thought of in awhile, Is it better with nacho cheese?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
yeah, post Ryan up until E3 2014 was (understandably) the slump period, and even then it was responsible for some of the best content on the site. (Motorbike QL, Bioforge...)

Weirdly enough, I distinctly remember Motorbike being one of the last QLs they did before...you know

popo

Also iirc weren't there talks that whiskey media was basically set up to be sold for awhile now? They certainly found some very high profile buyers.

I mean, most startups are looking to get bought eventually. Whiskey operated very much under - grow fast and work out revenue streams later or become acquired. I just believe they had to sell up way sooner than was planned. Wasn't it only CBS and Whale Cock in for GB/CV and only Whale Cock in for the rest.

All worked out in the end (maybe not for Screened RIP) and I really do believe GB is doing well. My point was that the question is a bit pointless as nobody is going to say they did badly in a situation like this, it is a confidence thing. I was once in a general meeting where the board was telling all the workers what an exceptional year they were having and the firm went in to administration a week later.

Lelcar

There's a part during the BLLSL where Jeff was talking briefly about what you can expect when you become a subscriber and the only feature he named was Mario Party Party, out of everything that he could have plugged.

see jeff likes to act like he hates mario party but he so tsundere~

And yeah, I love that so many GB East features were announced during the show.
- Return of VinnyVania
- Return of Flight Club (coastal)
- New feature: Blight Club
- a fast approaching GBEASTcast

can't wait.

Tucah

you speak so well
There's a part during the BLLSL where Jeff was talking briefly about what you can expect when you become a subscriber and the only feature he named was Mario Party Party, out of everything that he could have plugged.

- Return of VinnyVania

can't wait.

Yeah, it seems like we'll get more of a balance in East/West premium stuff soon which is good news.

I'm really interested to see what the BEASTcast ends up being. I remember Alex and Vinny talking about something more single topic focused, which could be interesting. With Alex, another news person, and Vinny for color commentary they could have a really good news focused show too.

At some point I'd probably be most happy with it being the Bombcast but with Alex and Vinny and
Cara

fuzzyset

- Return of VinnyVania

can't wait.

The biggest thing is their "zero-lag" setup for videos. I'm excited.

Patryn

I mean, most startups are looking to get bought eventually. Whiskey operated very much under - grow fast and work out revenue streams later or become acquired. I just believe they had to sell up way sooner than was planned. Wasn't it only CBS and Whale Cock in for GB/CV and only Whale Cock in for the rest.

All worked out in the end (maybe not for Screened RIP) and I really do believe GB is doing well. My point was that the question is a bit pointless as nobody is going to say they did badly in a situation like this, it is a confidence thing. I was once in a general meeting where the board was telling all the workers what an exceptional year they were having and the firm went in to administration a week later.

I thought Jeff said that there were several potential buyers for Giant Bomb?

Honestly, as much trouble as CBSi has been, I think things have turned out pretty well. GB hasn't really lost its identity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom