• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
I look forward to a MKX Jason quick look. The website really has slacked on the MKX coverage, this will redeem them in the eyes of their fans and the gaming community at large

popo

That is pretty dang harsh. But Dan is more successful than all of us. So...there's that.

Speak for yourself bro. His job looks fun and I envy him that at times. Glad I am not renting a shared apartment in one of the most expensive cities in the world.

That isn't a measure of his success though, more how screwed up SF is.

Wikipedia describes them as being similar to a scone which is the closest I could explain. They are a savory fluffy bread item that is wonderful.

From experience, more like say a cheese cobbler - as one might find on top of a stew (casserole for the yanks).

What's with this latest trend of inaccurate QL titles? Game's called Westerado: Double Barreled. Step up yo' game, Jason.

This is a problem of the database only having an entry for the browser version. A version they already quick looked http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-westerado/2300-7004/

Speak for yourself bro. His job looks fun and I envy him that at times. Glad I am not renting a shared apartment in one of the most expensive cities in the world.

That isn't a measure of his success though, more how screwed up SF is.

yeah I do pretty ok for myself I guess.

actually I'd feel pretty bad about the world if Dan was more successful than everybody who follows his work. I don't think "video game talker-abouter" is particularly high on the list of lucrative jobs.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Though of course as long as you're not directly negatively effecting someone's life of course.

Like, a racist getting a job in the KKK is not succeeding in life.

Just to be clear.

popo

He's doing what he loves, which is what I consider succeeding in life.

He is near the top of the profession he has chosen. Given how few EIC positions are available, there isn't really any further to climb unless you go management or skip to the dev side.

I wasn't talking him down but I find it a little odd when people say "we would all love his/her job" or how lucky games press are. There are a ton of perks but it isn't all fun and games [sic]. Especially if you don't work for an easygoing site like GB. Still a job.

yup, I think being happy and satisfied is more important than straight up financial success.

The irony being that Dan is Super American and has been conditioned by society to believe otherwise.

I think both wealth and job satisfaction are both measures of career success. A few lucky people land a job which provides both. Unfortunately the vast majority are stuck in a job that provides neither. Which just sucks. But such is life sometimes.

Myggen

Can [sic] be used in that context? Usage of that has always confused me except for the obvious way of using it when you're quoting a misspelled word.

popo

Can [sic] be used in that context? Usage of that has always confused me except for the obvious way of using it when you're quoting a misspelled word.

I ain't no english grad, but I always understood you could also use it to denote that you are acknowledging something could be interpreted as a pun or contradiction, or that it was intentionally so.

Sort of drawing attention to the previous word or statement and giving a knowing wink at it. Saying "I know how that reads and I am going to leave it like that. Just so you know that I know". Winky face.

In the context of quoting a misspelled word, it is essentially the same. You are saying - I know that this isn't how you spell the word but that is a direct quote. Guy is an idiot.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I know, but it's all relative isn't it? Very few jobs have zero downsides, even dream jobs. Love cooking but I feel like I would absolutely hate working in the cooking industry, but if people consider it their dream job who am I to say they haven't succeeded? Success is ultimately measured on a personal level anyway.

I've never seen why anyone would think the game press is lucky. All people do is yell at you on twitter all day. Shitty job. GB seems fun to work for but other than that, it seems like a shitshow.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I've never seen why anyone would think the game press is lucky. All people do is yell at you on twitter all day. Shitty job. GB seems fun to work for but other than that, it seems like a shitshow.

People are yelling at twitter all day anyway. It's just a question of how easily you can ignore the fact that the majority of people are awful human beings.

The use of [sic] is pretty varied, I've found. I've even seen it used to denote factual errors in a quote ("The sky is green" [sic]), although I don't know the technical correctness of that.

But I just used four pieces of punctuation in a row, so who cares what I think. A space is punctuation, right?

Bacon

Most public facing professions have to deal with people yelling at them on twitter all day. I'll take being yelled at on twitter all day if it means I can play games for a living for sure

We need English graduate rudds to give a ruling.

I only use it when quoting a phrasing or typographical error.

I have an english degree and this is how I have understood its use.

also I'm not at all rich and I still have unfulfilled ambitions but I wouldn't consider myself unsuccessful.

whatever.

Most public facing professions have to deal with people yelling at them on twitter all day. I'll take being yelled at on twitter all day if it means I can play games for a living for sure
The idea of playing games for a living sounds super unappealing to me, I think having them be a part of work would diminish how much I enjoy them as a hobby.

strafer

JEEEEEEFFFF GERRSMAN GOING GRAZY OVER TONY JHAWK PRO SKATER 5 BOU

5 stars

hqdefault.jpg

Zebetite

Banned
(sic) is used in the context of quotations, generally ones in which a person has made a typographical error. You reproduce the error in your quote and then you tag it to demonstrate that you were not the one to introduce the error to the quotation

(sic) is used in the context of quotations, generally ones in which a person has made a typographical error. You reproduce the error in your quote and then you tag it to demonstrate that you were not the one to introduce the error to the quotation

I think everyone here knows that, we're merely discussing the uses beyond the obvious.

The idea of playing games for a living sounds super unappealing to me, I think having them be a part of work would diminish how much I enjoy them as a hobby.

I agree. I go through phases where I don't play many games even as-is. If I played them every day at work I would probably sour on them pretty quickly and stop playing outside of work entirely.

daydream

Banned
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5. Jeff is going to be excited or extremely dissapointed.

THPS HD dev and I'm kinda iffy on the early details. Some people will also be super not thrilled by cross-gen. Certainly interested in what Jeff thinks, I can't say I'm a huge fan or anything.
snowboarding games were always more fun

strafer

THPS HD dev and I'm kinda iffy on the early details. Some people will also be super not thrilled by cross-gen. Certainly interested in what Jeff thinks, I can't say I'm a huge fan or anything.
snowboarding games were always more fun

oh yeah, give me a new Cool Boarders.

Also, had awesome time with that 1080 game on N64.

Myggen

Yeah, the THPS HD dev working on this kills much of my hype. Will need to see more of this before getting excited.

From what both Dan and Jeff has said about that HD remaster, I'm guessing they'll both be in the "wait and see" boat as well.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I just rewatched the Sonic Boom QL and noticed for the first time how they just used the fucking MS Word special font for "Yesterday" at the beginning.

Yes, this is my contribution to this thread.

popo

I know, but it's all relative isn't it? Very few jobs have zero downsides, even dream jobs. Love cooking but I feel like I would absolutely hate working in the cooking industry, but if people consider it their dream job who am I to say they haven't succeeded? Success is ultimately measured on a personal level anyway.

I agree. If it is your dream job then you take the good with the bad. I point I was making is that games press isn't everyone's idea of a dream job - but on GAF it is often assumed to be.

That is certainly the traditional usage.

I did a quick google to see if I was crazy and it seems I was using in in an ironic fashion.

The "ironic use" of sic.
Occasionally a writer places [sic] after his or her own words, to indicate that the language has been chosen deliberately for special effect, especially where the writer's ironic meaning may otherwise be unclear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom