• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacon

Why does Gamespot not have a podcast? Isn't that crazy? I bet half of you would listen to it if it had Danny and/or Mary on it.

Yeah it doesn't make much sense. They finally have a nucleus of people who would work really well on a podcast and they aren't taking advantage of it.

Anjin M

Why does Gamespot not have a podcast? Isn't that crazy? I bet half of you would listen to it if it had Danny and/or Mary on it.

I'd listen to a podcast of nothing but Mary talking to herself for 3 hours each week

Yeah it doesn't make much sense. They finally have a nucleus of people who would work really well on a podcast and they aren't taking advantage of it.

Their old podcasts were so, so bad. But Danny and Mary could probably make me a fan.

A Danny/Mary/Pete Brown podcast with Watters occasionally popping in to let us know that he kinda did a bad job reading Sphere would actually be a pretty good cast.

of and fake drew. does fake drew play games? Maybe he plays every game or something, like what a true fake drew would

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
A Danny/Mary/Pete Brown podcast with Watters occasionally popping in to let us know that he kinda did a bad job reading Sphere would actually be a pretty good cast.

of and fake drew. does fake drew play games? Maybe he plays every game or something, like what a true fake drew would
I would need some Kevin van Ord in there, too. He's also usually the one reviewing the games I like.

Podcasts usually need at least 3 people to promote interesting discussion
2 Hours is a good length for a podcast.
That is 6 hours of combined work time gone for one podcast
Podcasts need to be edited (that is more time gone)
At the very least, the host of the show needs to research weekly content to steer discussion in interesting ways (more time)
Some of the co-chairs need to be up to date on stuff too to discuss it (more time)
Podcast are hard to make money on (this is important)
It is legitimately hard to build a successful one

So, basically too much work needed weekly to create something that is a drain on resources.

Anjin M

Podcasts usually need at least 3 people to promote interesting discussion
2 Hours is a good length for a podcast.
That is 6 hours of combined work time gone for one podcast
Podcasts need to be edited (that is more time gone)
At the very least, the host of the show needs to research weekly content to steer discussion in interesting ways (more time)
Some of the co-chairs need to be up to date on stuff too to discuss it (more time)
Podcast are hard to make money on (this is important)
It is legitimately hard to build a successful one

So, basically too much work needed weekly to create something that is a drain on resources.

Hello, rain cloud! I see you found a nice parade.

Mully

I'm watching the cleaning stream while cleaning my room.

Hopefully it looks like this again:

ebg0svf.jpg

Since we're on the subject, anyone got any podcast recommendations? Only listen to the Bombcast, SBFC, and Cathedral of Shadows podcast and would like to listen to more.

I'm hit or miss on 8-4.

Harmontown is divisive but I absolutely adore it. My Brother, My Brother and Me is probably the best advice podcast out there. Savage Love is interesting if you want to hear more about relationships and sex. Slate's Political Gabfest is really fun if you're into politics.

Lijik

Their panel gameshow podcast Kevin VanOrd used to do was pretty okay (granted I dropped it but I liked the concept). Kind of wish they took a second stab at it

mary was great on bomb after reading, the world needs her on a regular podcast.

then again the world also needs vinny and jason as regulars on a podcast and that keeps not happening.

they should solve this by making a video production podcast.

As much as I like Danny and Mary, the stuff they do for Gamespot/without Giant Bomb guys is not good.

eh, some of it's good. they're not, like, helpless without giant bomb.

popo

The fact that gamespot don't have a podcast clearly suggests nobody was listening to them. Now it could be that all the podcasts were awful but it could also be that their audience has no interest, rather like their low numbers on live streams.

I'm at the May 18 2010 episode of Bombcast where they talk about all the trademarks Activision just made at the time including Space Warfare, Secret Warfare, Future Warfare, and Advanced Warfare including "Advanced Warfare 2" and "Advanced Warfare 3" and Brad thinking it's dumb because it's too similar to Advanced Warfighter. What a weird hindsight.

The fact that gamespot don't have a podcast clearly suggests nobody was listening to them. Now it could be that all the podcasts were awful but it could also be that their audience has no interest, rather like their low numbers on live streams.

Didn't they stop the last one because a bunch of people got laid off?

LiK

Kevin actually became host of the last Hotspot but yea, most of the people on the podcast were laid off and it died. Not really sure why they haven't bothered making a new one.

I wonder how old we are going?

My knowledge goes back to the NES, and can keep up with Jeff when talking about that.

Further back, and I get lost (and arguably lose interest a bit).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom