• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lelcar

That gif never gets old lol

I like it because it's not overused. That gif actually does only get broken out at the best of times. I'm pumped for the Vinny show.

Mistakes were made.
Taylor Swift gifs are dead, long live Freddie Mercury gifs

I'd subscribe to a thread that was just about Mercury vs Swift gifs. And for the record, I didn't think that the gifs were annoying. I like it when people have a thing, you know. You're the Taylor Swift guy. Don't cage that shit. Be free.

Anjin M

If you look up Tamika Rawson she seems to have an account to every social network imaginable.

Including NeoGAF? Do you have something to share? Such as your real name?

edit:

Is it so quiet in here because of MGS? So, how was it?

edit2:

So video goes up at 9pm GBT. It's 1 hour 18 minutes. Next post is at 10:18 GBT. Book it!

edit3 (10:13pm GBT):
Never has walking forward been so hard to understand.

Damn it!

FStop7

Banned
That Axiom Verge QL totally sold me. I wouldn't trust anyone who says it's derivative after having seen those advanced weapons.

Wunder

I've never played MGS3 and my first thought was just to walk forward. Drew thinks too damn much.

Well he would have, and he said as much, but Dan and Jason were sniggering and cringing at the other solution so Drew was annoyed because he thought he was missing something and didn't want to waste time by walking forward for 30 minutes.

Well he would have, and he said as much, but Dan and Jason were sniggering and cringing at the other solution so Drew was annoyed because he thought he was missing something and didn't want to waste time by walking forward for 30 minutes.

Drew should spend less time listening to cues from Dan/Jason and instead keep playing. He seems to 2nd think himself when he hears Dan or Jason make a noise.

BanGy.nz

Banned
I'd subscribe to a thread that was just about Mercury vs Swift gifs. And for the record, I didn't think that the gifs were annoying. I like it when people have a thing, you know. You're the Taylor Swift guy. Don't cage that shit. Be free.
One day Taylor Swift gifs will raise like a phoenix and waste bandwidth once again. Today is not that day.

Drew beat The Sorrow quicker then I managed :( I crushed The Fury in my first attempt but tanked hard on The Sorrow.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Felt bad for Drew. He had the answer. I totally get why he would think what he did would be enough for trying the
revive pill.

I am in the camp that Dan needs to be more aware that his comments or general noises here and there might influence Drew one way or another. Especially during boss fights he should just try to be as quiet as possible unless Drew starts the conversation or its a dumb joke/tangent.

I've restarted watching YuYu Hakusho since MGScanlon is over. For tonight. And I need something to watch while i play Desti- GODDAMIT WHY IS THE TOWER TAKING SO LONG TO LOAD.

I shall continue Bloodborne...tomrorow.

Zebetite

Banned
It didn't help Drew that Dan also doesn't know how the Revival Pill works and continues to insist that Drew "waited too long" when he used the Fake Death Pill earlier in the series.

That time, he hit Continue instead of using a Revival Pill. It takes like two whole minutes before you've "waited too long." The concept of opening the Item Menu on a Game Over screen to use an item you can't use anywhere but a Game Over screen was completely alien as a result.

It didn't help Drew that Dan also doesn't know how the Revival Pill works and continues to insist that Drew "waited too long" when he used the Fake Death Pill earlier in the series.

That time, he hit Continue instead of using a Revival Pill. It takes like two whole minutes before you've "waited too long." The concept of opening the Item Menu on a Game Over screen to use an item you can't use anywhere but a Game Over screen was completely alien as a result.

Yep. It was quite clear that Drew never got how to use it the first time he tried it a couple episodes ago. Dan seriously boned that up.

That death stare Drew gave Dan when he finally used it right was pretty intense.

Zocano

Seeing this just reminds me of the first time I did The Sorrow fight. I should note I have never ever cared for the codec calls before that point.

After a few runs through, I was like, hey, I just don't get it, let's call the Major and see if he can give me a hint.

Wanna know what he said?

"SNAKE, USE THE REVIVAL PILL!"

I continue to not give a single shit about the codecs in the series.

Seeing this just reminds me of the first time I did The Sorrow fight. I should note I have never ever cared for the codec calls before that point.

After a few runs through, I was like, hey, I just don't get it, let's call the Major and see if he can give me a hint.

Wanna know what he said?

"SNAKE, USE THE REVIVAL PILL!"

I continue to not give a single shit about the codecs in the series.

That's a shame, you're missing out on a lot of funny and interesting stuff.

It was obvious that Drew had the right idea for the fight, but was confused about the specific mechanic. If his guide and mentor wasn't just giggling about knowing more than Drew does, maybe, for a change, an episode could end without Drew being pissed off.

Yup. It's a bummer that Jason tried to do some amazing bit of foreshadowing by having Drew use the pill earlier in the series, but Dan screwed it all up by yelling completely incorrect information over it.

jaina

The codecs almost always straight up tell you what to do, figuring out the boss fights in MGS isn't a puzzle if you call constantly.

Myggen

It was obvious that Drew had the right idea for the fight, but was confused about the specific mechanic. If his guide and mentor wasn't just giggling about knowing more than Drew does, maybe, for a change, an episode could end without Drew being pissed off.

If Dan told him what to do, even hinted, people would bitch about that too.

BanGy.nz

Banned
I was watching the Axiom Verge Quicklook while playing Bloodborne and accidentally killed the magic doll lady. Giant bomb and Axiom Verge are dead to me.

//edit
Never mind she's back! Giant bomb and Axiom Verge are cool again.

jaina

I was watching the Axiom Verge Quicklook while playing Bloodborne and accidentally killed the magic doll lady. Giant bomb and Axiom Verge are dead to me.

In the BB QL, Brad was afraid to show weapon moves in front of her because he didn't want that to happen. But looks it doesn't have a lasting effect. EazySoulz /s

Well the problem really is that Dan totally screwed up explaining the pill mechanic to him a couple episodes ago.

That plus Dan super oversells the whole "IM NOT GOING TO EXPLAIN ANYTHING TO YOU YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN" as if there is some grand puzzle that needs solving, which Drew is more than happy to take on as a guy who likes to solve puzzles, when really he just needed to walk to the end of the river. Plus all the "should I tell him Jason?"'s and whatnots.

My impression was that the thing people were bitching about was the fact that Dan was basically the one playing the game, just with Drew holding the controller. Here go there climb this tree kill everyone here's a guy throw a snake at him now call the codec while the snake is in the air you'll hear a funny thing.

That's clearly something you should tone down a bit. There's a difference between that and just pointing out when Drew is pressing the wrong button to do something.

Myggen

My impression was that the thing people were bitching about was the fact that Dan was basically the one playing the game, just with Drew holding the controller. Here go there climb this tree kill everyone here's a guy throw a snake at him now call the codec while the snake is in the air you'll hear a funny thing.

That's clearly something you should tone down a bit. There's a difference between that and just pointing out when Drew is pressing the wrong button to do something.

Sure, but even when he has pointed out something like that (which he did at times during MGS1 IIRC) you had people complaining both here and in the comments. Same with the Souls playthroughs. I'm sure Dan could do a better job, but it's almost an impossible line to walk.

So.... did Drew just eat ALL his best food for no good reason?

He should be fine since he died after that but holy shit that was hilarious.

Sure, but even when he has pointed out something like that (which he did at times during MGS1 IIRC) you had people complaining both here and in the comments. Same with the Souls playthroughs. I'm sure Dan could do a better job, but it's almost an impossible line to walk.

I think the thing with this very specific case was Drew got frustrated and stuck because Dan accidentally completely mislead him on the revival pill mechanic. You could totally see how frustrated Drew was with Dan at that point.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Calorie mate looks a lot like shortbread fingers.

edit: ok now drew mentioned shortbread and says it tastes like it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
He should be fine since he died after that but holy shit that was hilarious.

I think the thing with this very specific case was Drew got frustrated and stuck because Dan accidentally completely mislead him on the revival pill mechanic. You could totally see how frustrated Drew was with Dan at that point.

But would drew even know about the revival pill technique? Remember that he seems to have great difficulty grasping the mechanics of this series.

Yes, this is why Jason should talk more. Dan is always wrong. I mean, it makes it more funny but this was one of the not fun Drew frustration moments in the series.

But would drew even know about the revival pill technique? Remember that he seems to have great difficulty grasping the mechanics of this series.

Jason brought it up and Drew "tried it" a couple episodes ago (kinda clearly as a way to teach him the mechanic before the Sorrow fight), and Dan fumbled the explaining how it worked, allowing Drew to hit continue, and when Drew died, Dan was all "oh you didn't do it fast enough!" (which was totally wrong)

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Dan should just tell Drew what to do and not tell him to throw a snake at a guard or whatever. Dan only ever says the wrong things and laughs to himself and keeps saying "oh no YOU'LL see" which I can only imagine to be incredibly frustrating for Drew. Like, just tell him about the revival pill mechanic at a point, especially if Drew has the right idea but doesn't know how to use it.

I'm kind of over it, I've accepted the fact that this series isn't enjoyable for me outside of cutscenes because Drew is absolutely terrible at these games and Dan is no help whatsoever, for the most part.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Jason brought it up and Drew "tried it" a couple episodes ago (kinda clearly as a way to teach him the mechanic before the Sorrow fight), and Dan fumbled the explaining how it worked, allowing Drew to hit continue, and when Drew died, Dan was all "oh you didn't do it fast enough!" (which was totally wrong)

But if jason wanted to he could have also just told him, it's not like they're shy about him cutting in. The point though is for drew to try things out.

Like, I somewhat remembered that moment, and from what I remembered drew just thought it didn't work because he thought that you're meant to hit continue instead of pressing the item menu button. Dan confused him by saying that it was too long, but that's not the problem, he just didn't know the fundamental way to do it.

Myggen

Dan should just tell Drew what to do and not tell him to throw a snake at a guard or whatever.

But again, you've got a lot of people who would hate that. I'm more in your camp of more help is better than less, but people have so different expectations for these kind of playthroughs that it seems almost impossible to not get yelled at in the comments.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
But again, you've got a lot of people who would hate that. I'm more in your camp of more help is better than less, but people have so different expectations for these kind of playthroughs that it seems almost impossible to not get yelled at in the comments.

Yeah of course, it's the internet, people are always going to be mad, so why not err on the side of caution by at least making sure that the person playing is having a good (ish), less frustrating time? To me that would translate into a more enjoyable viewing experience. When Drew gets super frustrated, which is literally every other episode at this point, I just don't think it's fun for anyone. I feel like Drew was annoyed by Dan's giggling and lack of any helpful advice more than by the game itself.

Zaph

My guess is a show where he strongly advices against games. He tried them but they weren't even worth a quick look.

That was my first guess too, but Trash TV is trending as Positive on Steam... Maybe Vinny just really didn't like it?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The No-Go Show: March 2015
VIDEO ON MAR 31, 2015 09:00 AM

What's this?

EDIT: oh shit a vinny show

2739081-nogoshow_032015.jpg

WAIT A MINUTE
DREDD POSTER
TV
CARDIGAN

TANG IS BACK BITCHES

- J - D -

A lot of you guys are jumping on Dan for feeding Drew innacurate info about the revive pill, but what he actually told Drew ("You waited too long") has no actual bearing on the foibles of the Sorrow fight. Drew simply did not know that he could access the revive pill during a game-over screen. It's not about waiting too long. I don't want to put it completely on Drew, but the game does early on tell you exactly how to use the revive pill through a mandatory codec call that also includes a little video clip showing the player EXACTLY how to use the pill, explicitly showing on screen the L2 menu scrolling over to the pill during the game over screen.

Due to the format of MGScanlon, it's reasonable that Drew would've forgotten by now how that mechanic worked, so realistically, you maybe could be frustrated with Dan in this episode over his inability to pick up cues as to when Drew has gotten close to solving it and needs a little nudge.

But he gets so many conflicting complaints about telling Drew too much, or too little, of course he'd be reticent about clueing Drew into when exactly to use that pill.

Anyway, at this point, I've grown accustomed to the flow of MGScanlon episodes. Each one is 3/4 frustration, and at least one or two golden moments. So the good points still make keeping up with the series worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom