• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
It hadn't occurred to me how many people have not yet seen Nintendo's asinine rollout strategy for Splatoon. I won't ruin it for you guys, you should experience the surprise and wonder as questions arise like "When will Nintendo employ people who have experienced the 21st century?" and "Will this game actually be on fire as it goes gold?"

Jintor

Maybe. I would be fascinated to know how much of this clunkiness is a deliberate choice and how much of it is because under the hood Splatoon is a coding nightmare or something, and if it is a choice, why. Beyond just 'lol Nintendo'.

KingKong

The Beastcast was really great, Jeff was a good guest and they actually had an interesting and in-depth discussion about games that reminded me of the best of Idle Thumbs and it's only episode 0. GBEast > GBWest confirmed

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
There's a quick look for invisible inc up.

Pity that Dan isn't driving it like the unfinished though. I wanted to see him get locked in the closet again.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Huh I thought the persona dancing game came out already

I'm quietly hoping that the upcoming changing of Nintendo's guard will usher in sensible online systems, and that the Splatoon devs really are our next generation of Nintendo adly shackled by the old guard.

It hadn't occurred to me how many people have not yet seen Nintendo's asinine rollout strategy for Splatoon. I won't ruin it for you guys, you should experience the surprise and wonder as questions arise like "When will Nintendo employ people who have experienced the 21st century?" and "Will this game actually be on fire as it goes gold?"

While I wasn't aware of the rotating map stuff, I was aware of the dlc plans and I can't really say I'm too bothered by it right now, if the game feels like it's lacking content when it releases then it's a problem.

If I don#t get a QL of this involving Vinny I will be very disappointed.

There are no excuses now that the technology exists for cross coast quicklooks.

nah i always knew this would happen

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
nah i always knew this would happen

I assumed the online would have that special Nintendo "charm" like how pugs are just walking genetic defects that cause people to mistake pity for affection, but I never in a thousand years would have guessed they'd release this game without party play for three full months.

All summer long, their kid friendly multiplayer shooter will not allow kids to play with their friends.

w1GbrQl.jpg

Nintendo,ladies and gentlemen.

Anyone elses premium break? I got a payment confirmation mail and then 5 mins later "We're sorry to see you go, but we thank you for giving us a try."

I want to see Bread Borne Blood.

Zaph

I assumed the online would have that special Nintendo "charm" like how pugs are just walking genetic defects that cause people to mistake pity for affection, but I never in a thousand years would have guessed they'd release this game without party play for three full months.

Fucking poetic

Anyone elses premium break? I got a payment confirmation mail and then 5 mins later "We're sorry to see you go, but we thank you for giving us a try."

Yeah it's a bug. Contact Rorie and he'll fix it

So I should note that a lot of the Splatoon "free DLC" is actually already finished content from what I can tell, and they're apparently going to be rolling out the updates every 1-2 weeks.

Like, some of the "DLC" maps are not only maps that showed up in trailers nearly a year ago, but even in the last Nintendo Direct about Splatoon you saw a screen for an event taking place only a month after launch where there was an additional map, I'm pretty sure that one of the DLC maps is already in the game in a modified form as a single player stage, and even when the game is displaying the "two stages" thing there is a slot exactly big enough for a third stage selection.

Y'know, it's weird. From any other game company, I'd be really upset, but with Nintendo it just feels... Fine to me. I don't know if it's just because of conditioned indifference or if I forgive them for at least trying something new, despite lacking standard practices.

Y'know, it's weird. From any other game company, I'd be really upset, but with Nintendo it just feels... Fine to me. I don't know if it's just because of conditioned indifference or if I forgive them for at least trying something new, despite lacking standard practices.

because while everyone else has been running for years, doing marathons and getting in shape, Nintendo is just starting to stop crawling and doing that weird kinda half wobbly walk and occasionally falling flat on their faces, like a toddler is want to do.

No one wants to be the jerk who makes fun of a toddler for starting to get this whole being-on-your-feet thing.

popo

But I think that was years later after sales and stuff. That's what enabled them to do the ports to Mac/Linus if I remember correctly.

Also companies don't like to make a small profit as if you factor in the opportunity cost of tying up capital - they consider it a loss.

Why is the Beastcast nearly 200MBs yet only two hours ?

192kbps vs 64 kbps for usual GB podcasts. Likely an error as you really don't notice the increased bit rate with mono spoken content.

Jeff likes Persona more than Vinny tho

From experience, Jeff doesn't like any Persona much that isn't 4. Vinny will at least have an open mind.

Did Vinny ever do the story stuff from the persona fighting game? I remember jeff doing it and saying it was pretty lengthy.

I still haven't done it myself because as soon as the first fighting game got cheap, the second one was announced. And now i'm waiting for the second one to get cheap, but that would require i turn my ps3 on for the first time in like 6 months.

Was worried it was going to be 30mins or something when they said they were going short. What a lovely thing to come home to after a shitty work week.

danm999

But him and Jeff together would be the best possible outcome.

They appear as Vinny and Jeff for the first 20 minutes or so and then they leave and Scott has to grapple with Dr Tracksuit and Small Businessman the rest of the episode.

I'm quietly hoping that the upcoming changing of Nintendo's guard will usher in sensible online systems, and that the Splatoon devs really are our next generation of Nintendo adly shackled by the old guard.

Yes I like to think so. And instead of fixing like, universal accounts or region locking or something these people have to slowly remove the fossils at the top by starting with some of the most unnattractive modern gaming practices (basically; Nintendo Early Access).

They appear as Vinny and Jeff for the first 20 minutes or so and then they leave and Scott has to grapple with Dr Tracksuit and Small Businessman the rest of the episode.

I'm fine with this as long as we also get Manzukis in for the interview. Zuk's and Aukerman together would be great for the questioning. They also have the background in shit getting depressing and I could see Tracksuit going down a dark hole.

"It can't be paint because it could have lead in it and we gotta be E for everyone." Or it's because they're squids? Also ink hasn't had lead in it for ages... Like, at least a few good generations.

Sigh. Wish this had just been Vinny/Alex. I don't feel like the Cnet guy is really adding anything to the podcast.

ArjanN

All summer long, their kid friendly multiplayer shooter will not allow kids to play with their friends.

Nintendo,ladies and gentlemen.

Haha, got a laugh out of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom