• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Splatoon is coming in thinner than Titanfall. It's not even that there's barely any meat on that bone, it's that it's all bone.

Are they selling splatoon as a full priced game? Maybe they should sell it for less and hope it gains some traction from there.

LiK

Splatoon is coming in thinner than Titanfall. It's not even that there's barely any meat on that bone, it's that it's all bone.

Are they selling splatoon as a full priced game? Maybe they should sell it for less and hope it gains some traction from there.

Full priced. I'm expecting it to bomb even with all the push it's getting. Looks fun but I'm not enticed enough to get it day one.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm the premium feed is still not working for me in iTunes. Is it for anyone else?

BTW I don't know why Vinny's bad pronunciation of "Nachtisch" would anger anyone. He didn't say anything offensive at all. It was just Nachtisch with the typical thing of English speakers not really being well at doing the "ch" sound.
Who's angry now?

Is the Splatoon DLC going to be paid? If not, then it'd be a huge step up from Titanfall which killed its community by splitting up the map packs.

so happy to have Vinny and Alex back on and doing podcasts. Loved the Witcher talk and have just gotten to the Splatoon talk.

I tried those beta sessions a few times and it was novel fun for a bit but I wasn't really compelled to play a ton more after those few hours. Will probably get it eventually down the line but at the moment Witcher
(and potentially Destiny)
will keep me busy for a while

Jintor

Yeah that was... Quite an experience.

Aww. Hope there's a good reason and not because it's something different that is Nintendo made.

it's your standard 'duhh nobody bought a wii u' (to be fair, true-ish) mixed with a hint of 'nintendo only just discovered the 90s!', though, to be fair, it's not like he talks over alex or anything, he's just kind of down on the splats.

really enjoyed the beastcast, even the standard gb meandering was entertaining.

It's got a single-player mode, though. More than Titanfall had!

When you're launching with features that just barelllllyyyyyyy edge out Titanfall then you've done fucked up.

Isn't it launching with only 4 maps? I dont know when the rest of the game is coming out but unless those are 4 maps like how Battlefield does them (huge maps for Conquest that are then compartmentalized for smaller modes and skirmishes) it's community is going to go poof real fast.

When you're launching with features that just barelllllyyyyyyy edge out Titanfall then you've done fucked up.

Isn't it launching with only 4 maps? I dont know when the rest of the game is coming out but unless those are 4 maps like how Battlefield does them (huge maps for Conquest that are then compartmentalized for smaller modes and skirmishes) it's community is going to go poof real fast.

It's not great. The free DLC makes it seems like this game was PROBABLY planned for Christmas but ended up coming out now for likely experimental marketing reasons (it lets them keep pushing the game over the next six months or something as they keep releasing new content).

That said, I expect paid Mario-themed content to come out somewhere down the line. (And I'll buy it, Ricco Harbour would be sweet)

No_Style

I haven't played the game but I wouldn't be so quick to judge Splatoon for its number of maps. If they're quality, it can sustain a community. Many shooter communities love a small handful of maps. CS has its DE_DUST, Battlefield 4 has numerous 24/7 Operation Locker servers and --this is apple and oranges but-- DOTA2 has only 1 map.

Jintor

It's not great. The free DLC makes it seems like this game was PROBABLY planned for Christmas but ended up coming out now for likely experimental marketing reasons (it lets them keep pushing the game over the next six months or something as they keep releasing new content).

That said, I expect paid Mario-themed content to come out somewhere down the line. (And I'll buy it, Ricco Harbour would be sweet)

I haven't played the game but I wouldn't be so quick to judge Splatoon for its number of maps. If they're quality, it can sustain a community. Many shooter communities love a small handful of maps. CS has its DE_DUST, Battlefield 4 has numerous 24/7 Operation Locker servers and --this is apple and oranges but-- DOTA2 has only 1 map.

splat has 5 maps, but the really weird thing is the map locking thing where you can only possibly play 2 at a time, and it's totally random. add that to all nintendo's other weird internet nintendo-ness and no wonder it's targeted at a wider audience who don't necessarily have expectations for what an online multiplayer experience should be like

I mean they're lucky (or they're really good at planning) that the core concept is insanely fun, because if this was surrounding a bog-standard shooter everyone would already have packed up and left

Hmm the premium feed is still not working for me in iTunes. Is it for anyone else?

BTW I don't know why Vinny's bad pronunciation of "Nachtisch" would anger anyone. He didn't say anything offensive at all. It was just Nachtisch with the typical thing of English speakers not really being well at doing the "ch" sound.

I can't really say too much positive about my german skills, but I'm at least pretty proud of my pronunciation. even if apparently I have a heavy accent to go along with it.

I don't actually think accents are a bad thing at all but other people sem to

KingKong

lol the part on the podcast where they ask Alex what his last favourite action movie before Mad Max was and when he says it they both go.. "huh...ok" like wait a second maybe I shouldn't trust this guys movie opinions

It better not be the Amiibos. We'll see a dark future where Nintendo makes shells of a game just to drive their toy line.

Are we going to see a Giant Beastcast thread?

well sooner rather than later there will be more amiibos than wii u's out there so this would not surprise me

listening to this beastcast while playing witcher 3

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
splat has 5 maps, but the really weird thing is the map locking thing where you can only possibly play 2 at a time, and it's totally random. add that to all nintendo's other weird internet nintendo-ness and no wonder it's targeted at a wider audience who don't necessarily have expectations for what an online multiplayer experience should be like
Wait, they are locking maps all the time? I thought that was a beta test thing. How exactly does it work?

Jintor

Wait, they are locking maps all the time? I thought that was a beta test thing. How exactly does it work?

there'll only be two maps available for, like, four hour periods at a time or something. then they switch over to two random other maps. the excuse is that it lets you have an idea of your ideal loadout, but I'm not certain what the point of that is when you can't see what your teammates have chosen until you're already locked in.

i dunno. I mean, the two maps they had available were great, and i bet they're all fantastic, but who knows.

there'll only be two maps available for, like, four hour periods at a time or something. then they switch over to two random other maps. the excuse is that it lets you have an idea of your ideal loadout, but I'm not certain what the point of that is when you can't see what your teammates have chosen until you're already locked in.

i dunno. I mean, the two maps they had available were great, and i bet they're all fantastic, but who knows.

What about the friend matchmaking system will it still be all random ?

Zaph

How does Nintendo always find a way to be their own worst enemy? Splatoon was looking great - fun gameplay, new IP, gorgeous art - what's all this piecemeal nonsense?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

That's just really, really dumb.

daydream

Banned
How does Nintendo always find a way to be their own worst enemy? Splatoon was looking great - fun gameplay, new IP, gorgeous art - what's all this piecemeal nonsense?

you could always wait and pick it up later. like coldman said, it was probably slated for a later release but, well, here we are now

for peeps like me who are just enamoured with the staggering depth and fun of the gameplay, five maps will totally suffice. it's not like they're all the game has to offer.

Jintor

What about the friend matchmaking system will it still be all random ?

let's see... you can join in on your friends servers (clunkily - you just get tossed into a queue to wait until someone leaves, and you're not even spectating, you're just sitting on a loading screen) but you can't join a party of four and then go out searching for other parties until august.

it's noooooooooooooot great.

but hell, i played tf2 for probably close to at least 50 hours before they even started patching, so i dunno. of course i got that game with the orange box for probably, like, twenty buck, so

Xater

I can't really say too much positive about my german skills, but I'm at least pretty proud of my pronunciation. even if apparently I have a heavy accent to go along with it.

I don't actually think accents are a bad thing at all but other people sem to

I don't mind accents. I'm just saying that as a native speaker I don't know why Vinny saying "Nachtisch" could have resulted in that reaction.

Bacon

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. Nintendo gonna Nintendo

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
You know what works great

A server that has a sequential rotation of all available maps, or selection of maps determined by server admin. A list of servers, or a button to find you one, done!

Blooper skins would be incredible.

Christ, that's really stupid. I really liked what I played during the server test but stuff like this completely puts me off, hopefully it's not set maps for each period of time.

Jintor

I get why the whole Nintendo not getting online thing can put people off, but for me it kind of doesn't matter really... but then, I never was a huge online shooter guy, and I never liked anything that wasn't rotating map servers.

4 hours really is too long though, I hope I'm remembering that wrong.

Xater

I get why the whole Nintendo not getting online thing can put people off, but for me it kind of doesn't matter really... but then, I never was a huge online shooter guy, and I never liked anything that wasn't rotating map servers.

4 hours really is too long though, I hope I'm remembering that wrong.

To me there just is a certain standard to MP shooter things that has been established and not meeting this bare minimum is kinda weird.

Jintor

Once you've established traditions, people don't really ask if they're necessary. Certainly they're wanted, but... well, we'll see if they're missed or not.

*shrug* I'm willing to give Nintendo a chance on this. We'll see. 's not like I'm reviewing it or anything, so whatever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom