• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I grew up playing carmageddon - but I don't think I have the desire to play another one again, sadly.

Drew needs to stop talking about a Star Citizen feature and do a Star Citizen feature. Arena Commander is actually really fun and more complete than they seem to think.

Pretty beefy. Nothing crazy, though. I play at 1080p with a 4690k and a OCed 7970, but my framerate bounces around 40-60 with the bigger dips going as low as the 20s. It's just very un-optimized at this point.

I kind of appreciate that Dan is playing this game in the most boring way possible, and doing a pretty poor job of it at the same time

it's kind of appropriate

Santar

I really enjoyed the first Carmageddon, the car combat parts of it was fun and I loved exploring the huge stages, finding secret areas and stuff. The car physics were good too, they had good weight to them.
Feels a bit like Dan didn't even give the game a chance in the quicklook.

Brashnir

Jeff and Dan have a nice Father/Son dynamic going in that latest mailbag/trashbag.

Dan: "Can I open these Rikishi pack of WWF cards?"
Jeff : "I mean ... no. There will be cards everywhere."

*points to bag of snacks*
Dan: "Can I open it?"
Jeff: "Yeah sure. Try not to open everything, otherwise we just have open food that we eat one hand of and throw away."

also, mailbag creeper.

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/6/61169/2752889-creeper3.gif

Dan wants Jeff as his GB Dad.

Which means that weekday GB office time is basically weekend GB-GAF.

Megasoum

Banned
Midtown Madness was the superior.

Fuck YES...

I played hundreds of hours of 1 on 1 CopsVsRobbers in Midtown Madness 1 with my friend.

We played so much that we knew by heart all the spawn points for the gold, police station and hideout on the map lol.

Xater

i was always an interstate 76 guy

Interstate 76 was great but also nothing like Carmageddon. It was more a car combat game not a racing game. Carmageddon at it's core was a bad check point racing game that added two more possible victory conditions.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Poor Dan. Working for Giant Bomb for less than a year, and Jeff's already convinced him that the early Twisted Metal games and car combat as a whole were no good. He's defeated. Soon he's going to be ranting about Waluigi and Yoshi being non characters.

Poor Dan. Working for Giant Bomb for less than a year, and Jeff's already convinced him that the early Twisted Metal games and car combat as a whole were no good. He's defeated. Soon he's going to be ranting about Waluigi and Yoshi being non characters.

2 is the only good "early" Twisted Metal.

Haunted

There's no sense of speed, there's not enough going on, the game doesn't look good enough for a 2015 game.

Since it's a Kickstarter, it's already a success that it exists. Feels like a game for the backers... and the backers only. Jeff's summary at the end seems appropriate.

??

But he came to that conclusion on his own though with the whole "he was younger" stuff.

And the site is down for me :/

A couple of hours in, I can see why Jeff is enjoying Splatoon. It has nifty 'traversal stuff' and strafing in the ink feels like drifting!

Bit behind on this thread, are they thinking of doing a live Quick Look for it? I think the video embargo ends today...

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
There's a dog man in that mad max game trailer o.o

image.php

Heh didn't Drew say on the bombcast that he was looking to upgrade his video card for Witcher 3? Guess that GTX 770 came at the perfect time lol

While we're on the subject of old games, does anyone know the name of an endless-runner styled game where you were a spaceship on platforms? You could hop and move left and right, and basically had to dodge the holes/ledges as you flew along.

I have such fond memories of playing that game with my brother back in the day.

I remember laughing at the showering hedgehogs.

tesqui

I'd hope Drew would upgrade to something better than a 770, though. Might as well upgrade to something that's not already 2 generations old.

I thought 700 series was 1 gen old? I think the 800 series was just laptop video cards.

but I would totally take the 770. it's not bad by any means. If it's got good vram (3-4gb) then he should be good to go.

edit: it appears 770's only have 2gb. I would probably want something more for an open world game like witcher 3. You probably won't get a constant 60 with that card unless you lower the graphics settings a good amount. I assume @ ultra you would be around the 30 fps range.

hamchan

You're right, it's only a generation old and you can't beat free.

But it's not a card you upgrade to to play Witcher 3.

It's more than good enough to outstrip the consoles and keep a stable framerate with decent settings. If I was Drew I would totally take the free card then he can wait for the next gen of Nvidia cards.

Megasoum

Banned
You're right, it's only a generation old and you can't beat free.

But it's not a card you upgrade to to play Witcher 3.

I'm playing Witcher 3 on a 770 and I ended up capping the FPS at 30 cause I was tired of running between 45 and 50.

I get to run it at ultra (everything maxed out except hairworks) at a solid 30 tho.

I have a 660ti and frankly it runs almost anything at 60fps if you're willing to knock back some post-processing.

but I'm gonna upgrade to a 970 at some point in the next few months.

I remember during the Whiskey days, Will would have like $3000 in video cards just collecting dust because manufacturers sent them. I'm sure there's a similar stash somewhere in the CSBI offices.

Jeff and Dan have a nice Father/Son dynamic going in that latest mailbag/trashbag.

Dan: "Can I open these Rikishi pack of WWF cards?"
Jeff : "I mean ... no. There will be cards everywhere."

*points to bag of snacks*
Dan: "Can I open it?"
Jeff: "Yeah sure. Try not to open everything, otherwise we just have open food that we eat one hand of and throw away."

also, mailbag creeper.

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/6/61169/2752889-creeper3.gif

You also had that big brother-little brother moment where Dan started annoying Jason so Jason kicked him. That cracked me up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom