• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tchocky

Reading Austin's top 10 list this part about Fantasy Life has made me want to hear him and Dan on a podcast together.

First: it is exactly the sort of power fantasy that I hate. Through narrative and mechanics, you’re told that you can do anything (“if you try hard enough!”) As you work through your different fantasy “lives” (read: jobs) you’re encouraged to keep at it. You’re told that you can make it through this, and you’ll be rewarded for your hard work! This story shows up in media and in common wisdom over and over, and anyone who has studied the history of, well, any field knows it’s just not true: lots of folks work really hard and never receive any reward, or have their reward taken from them, or sometimes it takes years and years to even really know who did what work.

Zaph

Because Dan has often said all you need to do is work hard and good things will happen the opposite of what Austin said in that comment.

Nah, I got what you meant. Was more of a huh at his statement. Hopefully his interviews are good.

Haunted

Because Dan has often said all you need to do is work hard and good things will happen the opposite of what Austin said in that comment.
tumblr_m6ipfx9ing1rof13go1_500.jpeg

Reading Austin's top 10 list this part about Fantasy Life has made me want to hear him and Dan on a podcast together.

Man, I wish at some point I'll end up playing a game that's even close to being as important for me as Fantasy Life seems to have been for Austin.

I have Fantasy Life, and I've played a couple of hours. It just seems very... rudimentary? Like it's a My-First-RPG. Does anyone know if it picks up at some point?

daydream

Banned
I have Fantasy Life, and I've played a couple of hours. It just seems very... rudimentary? Like it's a My-First-RPG. Does anyone know if it picks up at some point?

I played a lot of it (like, close to 100h) and loved it. Still wanna go back and get every job to God rank. What do you mean by "picks up"? It's basically Rune Factory with MMO trappings with you as a walking one-man economy. The game definitely gets more difficult, with later bosses best being handled in online co-op as they will wreck you otherwise.

One of the most underrated soundtracks of the year, too.

Interesting. I'm playing as an archer, and the combat just seems so simple. Press button to shoot arrow. I suspect I didn't play enough to understand what the game is all about.

daydream

Banned
Interesting. I'm playing as an archer, and the combat just seems so simple. Press button to shoot arrow. I suspect I didn't play enough to understand what the game is all about.

You can easily spend 200h with the game if you wanna do and max out everything. Playing a couple of hours won't really give you a good idea of what it is. The game gets real addictive once you get into the thick of things.

Honestly expected one of the duders to get into it but it didn't pan out that way.

r u looking forward to fantasy life 2 on mobile daydream?

shuddup

*knocks over magazine rack*

doesn't look like it'll be a real sequel, anyway

I know, but IGN was among the first sites writing about it ;)

Did they learn anything from publishing last year's stories regarding the "tyranny" of Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley at Naughty Dog or the "confirmed cancellation" of The Last Guardian right before E3 2014? Clearly not. All about those clicks. I'm glad the Kinda Funny guys got out of there. Funnily enough, the seem to be more associated with GameSpot/Giant Bomb than IGN nowadays. In fact, IGN management has said no IGN employee is allowed to be a guest at Kinda Funny.

Curufinwe

Did they learn anything from publishing last year's stories regarding the "tyranny" of Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley at Naughty Dog or the "confirmed cancellation" of The Last Guardian right before E3 2014? Clearly not. All about those clicks. I'm glad the Kinda Funny guys got out of there. Funnily enough, the seem to be more associated with GameSpot/Giant Bomb than IGN nowadays. In fact, IGN management has said no IGN employee is allowed to be a guest at Kinda Funny.

Their reviews editor also spends a lot of his time making a complete ass of himself on Twitter.

Their reviews editor also spends a lot of his time making a complete ass of himself on Twitter.

Yeah. I honestly don't care if someone doesn't like Bloodborne or not (I'm loving it personally). It is a game that is clearly not for everyone. But, if I was IGN's reviewer of the game, I would've had words with him. What Dan Stapleton did was unprofessional in my eye. IGN has said time and time again that they stand with their reviewers, but Dan (the reviews editor!) essentially wrote and published his own scathing "review" of the game while the assigned reviewer was putting together his! Seriously!? A least wait until the actual review has been out for (maybe) a week before you put out your thoughts. Or put it as an addendum at the end of the official review. I didn't read the comments of the official review (which had a positive score), but I have to imagine some people in the comments were using Dan Stapleton's "review" to bash the official reviewer and his final score. His twitter rant was ridiculous as well. Although, I do think Shane Satterfield of SIFTD Games (formerly of GameTrailers) takes the cake. He essentially called out reviewers by calling them irresponsible for giving Bloodborne such high scores, essentially calling the general public/non-hardcore gamers' intelligence into question by saying they will just look at the Metacritic score and be duped into buying the game and will be burned because it's too hard for them.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Dunno if I would call Hayabusa a boob enthusiast when he's stone cold celibate (I think?) in 2 series full of ridiculous boobs.

Curufinwe

Yeah. I honestly don't care if someone doesn't like Bloodborne or not (I'm loving it personally). It is a game that is clearly not for everyone. But, if I was IGN's reviewer of the game, I would've had words with him. What Dan Stapleton did was unprofessional in my eye. IGN has said time and time again that they stand with their reviewers, but Dan (the reviews editor!) essentially wrote and published his own scathing "review" of the game while the assigned reviewer was putting together his! Seriously!? A least wait until the actual review has been out for (maybe) a week before you put out your thoughts. Or put it as an addendum at the end of the official review. I didn't read the comments of the official review (which had a positive score), but I have to imagine some people in the comments were using Dan Stapleton's "review" to bash the official reviewer and his final score. His twitter rant was ridiculous as well. Although, I do think Shane Satterfield of SIFTD Games (formerly of GameTrailers) takes the cake. He essentially called out reviewers by calling them irresponsible for giving Bloodborne such high scores, essentially calling the general public/non-hardcore gamers' intelligence into question by saying they will just look at the Metacritic score and be duped into buying the game and will be burned because it's too hard for them.

Stapleton also said similar but not as harsh things about Bayonetta 2. You really have to question why IGN would hire a reviews editor who only knew PC games and didn't even use a controller regularly until a few years ago.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I liked the shadow stuff for KI. Probably wouldn't have heard about it otherwise, and it's scary but not entirely surprising that Dave Lang is responsible for a computer program that acts like Jeff after less than ten minutes of learning.

Vinny should green screen himself into a pic of the UPF set and play FMV games. Last eps were boring. Only Drew and Dan seem to occasionally bring interesting games in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom