• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

Dude even someone who enjoys it needs to break though the insane density that is the lore of LOTR.

If you don't care about the basic story you're probably not gonna give a shit about the endless backstory and lore of that universe.

For me LOTR has always been a really interesting universe, but I hate Tolkien's prose so I've never been able to get through those books. He's a way better world builder than writer in my book. But I recently read his Beowulf translation, which I found a lot more enjoyable than the other stuff I've read by him.

edit: I should probably go to bed. Tried to read an article about ISIS in The New Yorker drunk, but I've given up on that adventure.

Zaph

That was pretty damn funny. Jason arming Austin with the jpg killed me.

Damn shame Austin/Dan will have limited interactions, bet it would have been great. Both seem to be completely self aware of their 'roles', but in a good natured way.

Tolkien's a historian, not a storyteller. If you're looking for entertainment first and foremost there are countless other fantasy novels that will treat you better than LOTR.

Myggen

Tolkien's a historian, not a storyteller. If you're looking for entertainment first and foremost there are countless other fantasy novels that will treat you better than LOTR.

It's not about wanting it to be "entertaining" ("engaging" is probably the better word), but if I don't like the prose that's pretty much always a deal breaker for me. I can deal with bad prose to some degree in non-fiction, but generally not in fiction.

Is Dan too chicken to respond to Austin?

Maybe he's busy?

edit: I just bought Chip's Challenge 2. Hmmm...

Eh... He was a Philologist and he actually studied English Literature. He was also friends of many writers and the Hobbit was convicted as a children book

Lijik

edit: I just bought Chip's Challenge 2. Hmmm...

the ql actually turned me off on it despite being excited about it finally coming out. i might pick it up for the level editor but that ice level in the ql looked like something i never want to ever play.

Myggen

the ql actually turned me off on it despite being excited about it finally coming out. i might pick it up for the level editor but that ice level in the ql looked like something i never want to ever play.

Mostly bought it for the level editor, yeah. The base game looks a bit meh.

justjim89

Not even officially on the job and Austin is fucking wrecking Dan. Holy shit. Game of the Year will be fun with these two together. It's such a shame that Dan kinda holes up and retreats when really taken to task on his nonsense.

mattp

as much as I didn't think much of Kung Fury, Blood Dragon is literally the video game equivalent of that thing and seeing him pretend otherwise hurts the brain

haha yeah i thought it was pretty funny dan liked blood dragon
to me its the same try-hard bullshit from kung fury

oh my god

MGSV comes out this year and Dan will nominate it for best story no matter what it is

this is going to be incredible

The weirdest part about his infinite adoration of the series (which, let's be honest, is just because it was a pretty good game that he played between the ages of 13 and 15) is his apparent total inability to appreciate the story beyond a bunch of cool guys doing cool shit. Like, nothing about the nature of MGS2's story being about the very nature that it is a video game and how the players playing the game just wanted another MGS game so it's literally trying to recreate the events of Shadow Moses? How Raiden facing the truth of his own reality during Ocelot's interrogation correlates not only with the game's very nature breaking apart at the seams as if Raiden is waking up from the dream (i.e. simulation) that he's been going through, but also with the gameplay forcing you to use his actual well-worn skill in slicing people up instead of attempting to ape Snake's shoot-'em up style (Jack the ripper, etc)? Instead all he talks about is some stupid retroactive acronym about "Meme Gene Scene"? I swear to the Maker, if he doesn't comment at all - not one iota - about, like, the cynicism of modern game development in MGS4, where Old Snake is practically an avatar of Kojima, a classically trained fighter, being forced back into battle one last time, but now on a field where all of the participants are a bunch of young wide-eyed kids who grew up playing violent video games and don't know anything but violence, and couldn't fight worth a damn if their tech doesn't work, etc. etc. etc. I will be furious.

Zornack

How do people still get their finernails in a tizzy when someone on the internet says something they like sucks. It's 2015!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
How do people still get their finernails in a tizzy when someone on the internet says something they like sucks. It's 2015!

Humanity, basically. We are social creatures, and thus seek comfort being part of a group and also from the validation of our peers. It's why there's so much conflict all over the world, because we are honestly pretty intolerant creatures to things that don't fit into our own personal worldview.

Austin trying to tackle Dan on twitter stuff? LOL good luck to him with that (Austin)

Danny has said it best about Dan in that he will only cede defeat when only he sees it, even if fucking everyone else has been showing it to him for a while

Jothel

The weirdest part about his infinite adoration of the series (which, let's be honest, is just because it was a pretty good game that he played between the ages of 13 and 15) is his apparent total inability to appreciate the story beyond a bunch of cool guys doing cool shit. Like, nothing about the nature of MGS2's story being about the very nature that it is a video game and how the players playing the game just wanted another MGS game so it's literally trying to recreate the events of Shadow Moses? How Raiden facing the truth of his own reality during Ocelot's interrogation correlates not only with the game's very nature breaking apart at the seams as if Raiden is waking up from the dream (i.e. simulation) that he's been going through, but also with the gameplay forcing you to use his actual well-worn skill in slicing people up instead of attempting to ape Snake's shoot-'em up style (Jack the ripper, etc)? Instead all he talks about is some stupid retroactive acronym about "Meme Gene Scene"? I swear to the Maker, if he doesn't comment at all - not one iota - about, like, the cynicism of modern game development in MGS4, where Old Snake is practically an avatar of Kojima, a classically trained fighter, being forced back into battle one last time, but now on a field where all of the participants are a bunch of young wide-eyed kids who grew up playing violent video games and don't know anything but violence, and couldn't fight worth a damn if their tech doesn't work, etc. etc. etc. I will be furious.
fMnQem.gif

justjim89

Austin trying to police the use of "sucks" on Twitter is kinda lame.

Well, someone in Dan's position and having such a large audience means shit Dan says reaches and influences a lot of people. Dan's level of discourse over things he doesn't like really comes across as dismissive and childish. Someone who gets paid to discuss video games for a living should be able to do so on a level higher than a GameFAQs poster.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Well, someone in Dan's position and having such a large audience means shit Dan says reaches and influences a lot of people. Dan's level of discourse over things he doesn't like really comes across as dismissive and childish. Someone who gets paid to discuss video games for a living should be able to do so on a level higher than a GameFAQs poster.

I actually do think this kind of reasoning is on the same level as "game developer's are having money taken from them because you" of being a terrible reason.

Criticism of his ability to critic should not be based on his influence, and no cultural entertainment piece is sacred enough to be protected from casual dismissal.

I mean I agree that Dan is not the most nuanced person in the world, but I also agree with him that twitter is not the place for such discussion.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

There might be some ammount of commentary about the state of videogames and kojima's life in there, but it's far from being as significant as you make it out to be. If MGS really was mainly about Kojima's feelings as a game designer as much as you make it seem, then I would only lose appreciation of that series quite a lot.

Watching Metal Gear Scanlon, there were times I was frustrated at them both writing off some pretty interesting allegories as simply a random thing that seems cool to do, but they noticed some meaning behind things I didn't notice, and even if there is deeper meaning to some stuff they miss, it's still basically random assortment of cool things in the end. Just because Kojima decided to throw in some random allegory that somewhat fits in with the story doesn't make that inclusion any less random.

Zornack

I also agree with him that twitter is not the place for such discussion.

Yeah, same here. To me twitter is a place for jokes and quick snips, not the place to go into a discussion on why you don't like something and not a place where you should preface your opinion with "Well, in my opinion..." That and disaster related information is all I think twitter is good for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom