• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

I actually though I heard him say 300k, As to the post you quoted, how do we know premium subs are around 20k?

The 20k number is really old. It's what they said at the start of the third(?) BLLSL. Might be the second. From what Jeff has said it's pretty safe to assume that the number is significantly higher now.

edit: they were at 18 490 subs at the start of the third BLLSL in September 2012, so that number is really outdated now.

Patryn

I suspect that even though GB gets fewer hits, they generate a lot more revenue per user than Gamespot or IGN, due to the subscriber thing.

I think that's why CBSi seems to be slowly transforming Gamespot into something similar to Giant Bomb while still attempting to retain their "impartial" and more professional atmosphere.

Actually, now that I think it, if you add together the two offices, doesn't Gamespot and Giant Bomb have similar sized staffs at this point?

If I'm right, that says a hell of a lot considering the hit differential.

Patryn

Gamespot is way bigger and they have offices in the UK and Australia. Can't really find an accurate list except this twitter thing from the official account: https://twitter.com/gamespot/lists/the-gamespot-staff/members

That list is out of date. I see a couple of names of people who have left (Giancarlo, for instance).

But touche on the other offices. But I'm not sure the international offices still count. Are they run out of the same budget?

popo

I actually though I heard him say 300k, As to the post you quoted, how do we know premium subs are around 20k?

As said, the only figures stated are way out of date - but I guarantee it is not 300k. If it was anywhere near 100k they would shut gamespot down and just focus everything on GB. /Getting anyone to pay anything for a VG site these days is a hard task.

That list is out of date. I see a couple of names of people who have left (Giancarlo, for instance).

But touche on the other offices. But I'm not sure the international offices still count. Are they run out of the same budget?

GS sacked a lot of editors and went freelance for reviews etc. Look at the review bylines and it is rarely the same name twice.

GS posted a staff pic from last years E3 and it was like 50 people. I would not be surprised if they staff up again this year to similar levels.

Megasoum

Banned
As said, the only figures stated are way out of date - but I guarantee it is not 300k. If it was anywhere near 100k they would shut gamespot down and just focus everything on GB. /Getting anyone to pay anything for a VG site these days is a hard task.

That 300k is for Bombcast downloads, not the subs.

And yeah I vaguely remember Jeff talkinga bout multiple hundred thousands but I could be wrong.

popo

That 300k is for Bombcast downloads, not the subs.

And yeah I vaguely remember Jeff talkinga bout multiple hundred thousands but I could be wrong.

wait, are we still talking bombcast. I'm confused. 100k+ bombcast I could buy. Going from 20k - 100k+ member subs in 3 years sounds unlikely in the extreme.

Megasoum

Banned
wait, are we still talking bombcast. I'm confused. 100k+ bombcast I could buy. Going from 20k - 100k+ member subs in 3 years sounds unlikely in the extreme.

Yes we agreed that the 20k number for subs was an old number and most likely much higher now (my guess probably around 35-40 max).

That 100k was only for bombcast numbers.

Zaph

PC exclusive? That's my preferred platform, but still, wow.

It'll probably end up on consoles too, but just odd they're not doing it out the bat.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I had to look up what the 2012 goty is.

Speaks volumes about how much of an impression the rewards leave on me.

Wasn't 2012 a real shit year for games?

I seriously don't remember what the other contenders were...

The other main contender was Walking Dead.

edit: here were the other ones on the list that year

2. The Walking Dead, 3. Far Cry 3, 4. Fez, 5. Journey, 6. Mark of the Ninja, 7. Syndicate, 8. Mass Effect 3, 9. ZombiU, 10. Sleeping Dogs

no dishonored :mad:

popo

PC exclusive? That's my preferred platform, but still, wow.

It'll probably end up on consoles too, but just odd they're not doing it out the bat.

hmm, I bet it comes out in EA's own brand of early access. By which I mean official early access - not release it broken like Battlefield.

Wasn't 2012 a real shit year for games?

I seriously don't remember what the other contenders were...

Walking dead season 1 was #2 and pretty much the only contender (a shout for far cry 3 maybe?). People are generally quite down on 2012, but then again Strategy RPG and Adventure are my favorite genres.

Listening to the newest Beastcast and I have already taken to Jeff and Austin but I really need them to ring a bell or something when one of them starts talking. I can't seem to tell their voices apart.

2012 was a lot better year than 2014, that's for sure.

I'm glad XCOM 2 is PC exclusive. Maybe they'll try to actually push the hardware. Although looking at that screenshot... doesn't look like anything particularly impressive visually.

tchocky

In his latest Q&A video Patrick talks about how much being alone in Chicago resulted in him leaving GB. He discusses feeling isolated and it affecting his work and his enjoyment of the the job and he is glad how leaving has allowed them to hire Austin Walker.

Three Beers Deep

Listening to the newest Beastcast and I have already taken to Jeff and Austin but I really need them to ring a bell or something when one of them starts talking. I can't seem to tell their voices apart.

by the end of it I was starting to get a little better about it (Austin's voice seemed a little "warmer") but I'm with you. maybe Bakalar should just use his Aussie accent all the time

2015 seems like a REALLY good year for games and we haven't even hit the october/november releases

even with delays and everything, it's been a really diverse and good year. tons of stuff for people of all tastes.

I still have a feeling that Persona 5 won't make it out this year in NA

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
2012 was a lot better year than 2014, that's for sure.

I'm glad XCOM 2 is PC exclusive. Maybe they'll try to actually push the hardware. Although looking at that screenshot... doesn't look like anything particularly impressive visually.

Didn't CDPR say if they didn't have the potential sales base of the consoles that they never would have been able to push the PC version as far and as hard as they did?

If anything, at this point, I see 'PC Exclusive' and my brain doesn't register, 'great graphics.' My brain registers, 'Oh, how F2P is this going to be' a la Triad Wars.

1 XCOM , 2. The Walking Dead, 3. Far Cry 3, 4. Fez, 5. Journey, 6. Mark of the Ninja, 7. Syndicate, 8. Mass Effect 3, 9. ZombiU, 10. Sleeping Dogs

Ah yes, Syndicate was that year's Advanced Warfare, where nobody felt too strongly about it but Jeff wanted it there so nobody argued. Dishonored should have been on the list over Syndicate, ZombiU, Sleeping Dogs, and Mass Effect.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Remember back when we couldn't tell who was who when both Jason and Dan were on the same podcast? Those were the days...

I never had that problem, but when Austin or Jeff add an interjection while Vinny/Alex are speaking, I have no idea who it is that's talking. The longer they speak the more clear it is (Jeff's got some unique inflections that Austin doesn't share) but on a word or two I may as well flip a coin to make a guess.

Quentyn

I'm a little sad Dishonored didn't get recognition in GOTY. That was a good feeling game.

I am not 100 % sure, but I think Patrick was the only one who played it. That pretty much meant it had zero chance for GOTY.

Still have to play the DLC. I heard it is even better than the main game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I am not 100 % sure, but I think Patrick was the only one who played it. That pretty much meant it had zero chance for GOTY.

Still have to play the DLC. I heard it is even better than the main game.

Others played it. Only Patrick liked it.

they prefer super ez mode stealth games like mark of the ninja and batman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom