• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

demidar

I propose the use of Jefff or JeffyB to denote the BEAST Jeff.

Nah, let's just pit them in a battle to the death, Mortal Kombat if you will.

Remember when "XCOM" from 2K Marin was going to be a fresh new reboot that captured the feel of the original series and people should stop whining and accept that a turn based game with permadeath couldn't possibly be successful today

I don't know if I'm excited for the new XCOM or not, which is strange since I liked Enemy Unknown enough.

Infinite combinations of maps sounds a bit too "pie in the sky" for me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It wasn't just the art style though. The initial gameplay of XCOM had them researching the crime scene, going all detective vision on it and tracking the goo and had a cool uneasiness that tensed up really well.

It was the Men In Black game I always wanted.

Patryn

I also picked up the Bureau for cheap on a Steam sale and I enjoyed it.

Felt like Mass Effect-lite, but it should have leaned a bit more into the RPG aspect, though.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Turning classic strategy games was such a weird decision back then. Someone probably made a lot of money, whispering slyly in publishers' ears going, "make this classic IP into a [popular genre] for all the money in the world. Try it and you'll see."

We were verging on the darkest timeline back then; so glad it was avoided.

*cough*Syndicate *cough*

Lijik

I liked the Bureau quite a bit, and thats even before the game goes totally off the rails at the end with a five way "how should we end this?" plot pile up.

edit- i do wish there was more of the original art style in the final game. They at least threw a bone by having the abstract polygonal laser shooting thing show up as a lategame boss fight.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Seeing the comparisons to mass effect made me lose interest pretty quickly.

Found ME style combat super boring.

All of the footage and screenshots from the "good" version of The Bureau looked like a janky unfinished mess with a lot of pie in the sky talk to journalists about how it'd be this interesting thing that would totally work and be faithful to XCOM at the same time despite none of that stuff actually existing in the game yet.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Seeing the comparisons to mass effect made me lose interest pretty quickly.

Found ME style combat super boring.

That's because you are a person with good taste.

I still don't think he's the new hire.

Also here I was thinking "Phew, I can finally download that XCOM trailer in a good quality." just to realise that Austin just linked to a IGN Youtube video(I guess they have exclusive rights?). :/

All of the footage and screenshots from the "good" version of The Bureau looked like a janky unfinished mess with a lot of pie in the sky talk to journalists about how it'd be this interesting thing that would totally work and be faithful to XCOM at the same time despite none of that stuff actually existing in the game yet.

Even if it was decent, it'd still just be primarily an FPS. Strategy games are cool. We need games to not be afraid to inhabit a genre and just fucking nail that.

Though the alien designs were great in XCOM. But if I have to put up with Firaxis art for Firaxis gameplay than SO BE IT

a real-time action XCOM could totally work. I'm a fan of turn-based strategy, but I think the "core" of XCOM is an open-ended, high stakes campaign that is driven by an arms race.

if they had made a first person shooter where the missions forked off of a larger grand strategy campaign, it could have been amazing.

KingKong

man they really need to get some better questions for Danswers, it feels like they're just getting the same ones and saying the same things 10 episodes in

TraBuch

Banned
Jeff listens to an eclectic mix of music. Listening to a mixlr from a few weeks ago, and at one point he goes from Aqua to Randy Savage to Barcelona to E-40.

Recall

That's because you are a person with good taste.

I still don't think he's the new hire.

Also here I was thinking "Phew, I can finally download that XCOM trailer in a good quality." just to realise that Austin just linked to a IGN Youtube video(I guess they have exclusive rights?). :/

He is the new hire.

Sorry to break it to you.

Danswers felt like a waste of time since the original concept

Sort of agreed? I like to listen to it when there are guests on, as often it leads into an interesting delve into the guest's experiences (Jeff's was a fantastic episode). But everyone wants to get advice on the worst situations which end up having overlap. A lot of "what do I do with my life" kinds of questions, for example.

That and sometimes it's just depressing as fuck to listen to. I'd rather have a Dan and Danny talk show where they just blather on about whatever.

Assimilation makes me think of strategic alien-human bonking.

Why else would you need gene therapy?

Recall

imagegistv.jpg

Clearly a wrestling fan too.

:D

tumblr_inline_nodojd7ntm1rcatwu_500.gif

demidar

It would be cool if in XCOM2 you're actually playing as the bad guys and the alien colonization has done way more good than bad.

Anjin M

Yeah, I had a crisis midway through the Beastcast when either Jeff or Austin was talking and I didn't know which. Made me question everything I'd heard beforehand.
I did a second listen to the episode and I'm getting better at telling them apart. It always takes me a few days to get voices straight on a new podcast. (For instance, Idle Thumbs was a nightmare for me for the first few episodes)

I wonder if Beast will do a UPF now that there's 3 of them or if they will stick to doing other premium stuff before West does UPF.
I hope the get a Play Date up this week. It would be a great way to cap off Austin's first week.

Okay, Danswers. Paul buys you one final chance with me.

Already? Sweet!

edit://
Ending his first new story with the word "Dope" was the right move.

what I was expecting: hilarious Paul Ryckert adventures
what I got: earnest advice about relationships
Never mind, Danswers. You already blew it.

cool to see that firaxis went with my playthrough as canon where the leader of XCOM just stopped caring and disappeared after 8 hours of game time

I really need to get back on that

Myggen

Is Tested something worth getting in to? I liked their appearance on the show but I've been hearing a lot of different things.

What they did on BLLSL is nothing like what their channel is. They mostly do reviews of tech, and interviews with different people/some stuff with the Mythbusters dudes. Will and Norm are good peoples, but I've fallen off following them on a regular basis. Their reviews of all things VR are solid though, maybe give those a chance if you're interested in that tech?

Majine

Banned
Is Tested something worth getting in to? I liked their appearance on the show but I've been hearing a lot of different things.

It's my premier site for tech. They don't cover everything, far from it but I really like the format of them discussing different products rather than the usual Youtube stuff with prepared scripts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom