• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

In his latest Q&A video Patrick talks about how much being alone in Chicago resulted in him leaving GB. He discusses feeling isolated and it affecting his work and his enjoyment of the the job and he is glad how leaving has allowed them to hire Austin Walker.

Three Beers Deep

Sounds like it was pretty much what everyone had guessed. I'm happy for Patrick that he's found something that is working for him better there, but isn't he still kind of alone? Does Kotaku have anyone else in Chicago?

Ah yes, Syndicate was that year's Advanced Warfare, where nobody felt too strongly about it but Jeff wanted it there so nobody argued. Dishonored should have been on the list over Syndicate, ZombiU, Sleeping Dogs, and Mass Effect.

Let's see...

Syndicate: Jeff's pet game
ZombiU: Patrick's pet game
Sleeping Dogs: Vinny's pet game
Mass Effect 3: Brad's pet game

GB's GOTY is always about what the editors enjoy best, and that list fits.

FStop7

Banned
The other main contender was Walking Dead.

edit: here were the other ones on the list that year

no dishonored :mad:

The brilliant Sleeping Dogs at #10, that piece of hot garbage Syndicate at #7, the buggy and broken Walking Dead at #2

That's one of those lists where you look back at it and just shake your head. Like looking back at pictures of people in the 90s wearing Zubaz pants.

Zacagawea

Yeah, I had a crisis midway through the Beastcast when either Jeff or Austin was talking and I didn't know which. Made me question everything I'd heard beforehand.

also with the recent Civ releases i am really wary of Fireaxis now

Yeah Beyond Earth sounded like a real bummer.

Let's see...

Syndicate: Jeff's pet game
ZombiU: Patrick's pet game
Sleeping Dogs: Vinny's pet game
Mass Effect 3: Brad's pet game

GB's GOTY is always about what the editors enjoy best, and that list fits.

I'd have to re-listen, but I'm pretty sure that's not accurate. Multiple of them played those other games, and liked them. Nobody else gave a shit about Syndicate.

Zaph

Dishonored wasn't perfect, but holy shit did that game come out at the right time. With sequel after sequel, tacked-on mulitplayer and generally broken games flanking it, it was like a breath of fresh air.

Also, the brothel and dinner party levels were incredible.

Yep. Dishonored had some really cool, fresh ideas and I think it has stuck with me more than some other games that I may have liked more at the time. You can possess a fish, guys.

Patryn

I'd have to re-listen, but I'm pretty sure that's not accurate. Multiple of them played those other games, and liked them. Nobody else gave a shit about Syndicate.

I didn't mean to imply that the person listed is the only person who played that game, simply that the game meant more to that person than it did most people.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I bought Dishonored when I was being real irresponsible with Steam sales, played maybe ten minutes, said to myself "Wait, I hate stealth games" and haven't played it again.

I was a little sad they didn't get the reference, but Fallout is pretty damn old by now.

I don't even know that anybody on Giant Bomb has played the original Fallout games to have forgotten the reference in the first place.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
By this point last year, I had only played Stick of Truth.
In 2015, I've played Cities: Skylines, Witcher 3, Dying Light, and Splatoon.

Dishonored is a terrific stealth game with a ton of viable options and approaches. It also passes the ultimate stealth game test of how it plays as soon as you're caught: you can just straight up fuck dude's shit up and still feel like a badass. It felt like a better deus ex sequel than dxhr did, it's that good.

My biggest issue with with Dishonored was that a lot of the cool powers were based around combat which meant that I never got a chance to use them, hopefully the sequel hits a good balance between non lethal and lethal with it various abilities and equipment.

Dishonored has probably the best feeling movement Ive seen in a first person game. I just want to run around in that game for the rest of my life

Lijik

moonvest wouldnt do this.
GjhW6XE.jpg

Yeah Beyond Earth sounded like a real bummer.

I listened to those casts a couple months ago, and Patrick pretty much willed Zombi U on the list. Not to say it's undeserving, but aside form Jeff mayyyyybe putting in an hour or two, no one else had played it.

Remember when "XCOM" from 2K Marin was going to be a fresh new reboot that captured the feel of the original series and people should stop whining and accept that a turn based game with permadeath couldn't possibly be successful today

I listened to those casts a couple months ago, and Patrick pretty much willed Zombi U on the list. Not to say it's undeserving, but aside form Jeff mayyyyybe putting in an hour or two, no one else had played it.

Yeah, I think ZombiU sort of made the cut through novelty. Game didn't have a lot of staying power, though, which makes it seem like the quintessential 'launch game'.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Remember when "XCOM" from 2K Marin was going to be a fresh new reboot that captured the feel of the original series and people should stop whining and accept that a turn based game with permadeath couldn't possibly be successful today

Remember when people bitched about a cool looking FPS that had tons of style and covered an interesting theme with unique enemies and instead peoples bitching got it turned into an awful hybrid strategy/third person shooter with generic alien enemies just to make it 'muh x-com'

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

They're clearly saving the Bureau 2 for e3. To be announced just after EA's Syndicate 2,

as someone who still plays OG X-COM to this day, my eyes were rolling completely over in my head, but even I was surprised that Enemy Unknown was as well received as it was

Remember when people bitched about a cool looking FPS that had tons of style and covered an interesting theme with unique enemies and instead peoples bitching got it turned into an awful hybrid strategy/third person shooter with generic alien enemies just to make it 'muh x-com'
some of us actually still remember that series' terrible dark period of third person shooting and were understandably put off by the idea

I did like the art style in those early teasers though

Turning classic strategy games was such a weird decision back then. Someone probably made a lot of money, whispering slyly in publishers' ears going, "make this classic IP into a [popular genre] for all the money in the world. Try it and you'll see."

We were verging on the darkest timeline back then; so glad it was avoided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom