• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually thinking about that, does that mean that if I were to use SteamOS or SteamMachine I might not have access to being able to play all the games in my library?

LiK

Jeff on the CONTROVERSY OF THE WEEK:

Jeff explained the situation way more clearly than anything Colin did in his "article". I stand by my thoughts that it was a really lame rant. Wasn't as clever as Polygon expected it to be. I don't follow Colin's works so anyone reading it without knowing his "voice" would find the article a huge waste of time. I don't agree with Jeff on this one.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Actually thinking about that, does that mean that if I were to use SteamOS or SteamMachine I might not have access to being able to play all the games in my library?
Yep, SteamOS is Linux. A lot of big games don't support it. Better to put Windows on that thing.

Jeff explained the situation way more clearly than anything Colin did in his "article". I stand by my thoughts that it was a really lame rant. Wasn't as clever as Polygon expected it to be. I don't follow Colin's works so anyone reading it without knowing his "voice" would find the article a huge waste of time. I don't agree with Jeff on this one.
He just sounded like a huge dick, which maybe he isn't and it's actually funny, but I don't know him and that's what I took from it.

Yep, SteamOS is Linux. A lot of big games don't support it. Better to put Windows on that thing.

If fucking Windows allowed you to install a key on more than one computer, I would.

I don't have a situation where I need a steam machine, but that sucks for someone who doesn't want to pay for a license.

if you have another PC you can stream non-linux games to your steam machine.

But if you decide to have your steam machine as your only gaming pc? youre SOL unless you put a windows partition on that thing which negates the point of getting a steam machine pretty much.

You can see what games are linux/steamOS compatible on the store if you want an idea of what's directly compatible ATM.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Pretty sure you just described Polygon as a whole.

He just sounded like a huge dick, which maybe he isn't and it's actually funny, but I don't know him and that's what I took from it.

Wait, no, you did.

KingKong

Good quick look, I like everything about the game except the actual combat. The X-Com remake really got that part right, I've found all the other turn-based games like Xenonauts or Banner Saga or this to just be really boring to play.

Megasoum

Banned
I never actually finished the new X-Com and I'm kinda tempted to go back to it after the reveal for the sequel and the Massive Chalice quicklook this morning.

Zaph

Jeff is usually an oracle with this shit, but I don't understand his defence either. If you suppose someone could have chosen to write nothing as a potential alternative, that's a pretty damning summation of what he did write.

Feeling completely disrespected by a publisher taking up your time and then telling you what you can't write because they've sold an exclusive to the competition? Make that your story - address the absolute dumb fuckery that is the setup of E3 Judges' Week. But oh no, that might jeopardise future access.

If I hadn't followed Jeff's work for years and didn't know his impeccable history, I'd say it sounds like the same old "but I know this writer and I like them!" wagon circling that started sowing the seeds of distrust in the enthusiast press years before GG was a thing.

Feeling completely disrespected by a publisher taking up your time and then telling what you can't write because they've sold an exclusive to the competition? Make that your story - address the absolute dumb fuckery that is the setup of E3 Judges' Week. But oh no, that might jeopardise future access.

This is unreasonable for a site that wants to maintain a presence at these events, or an individual who wants to keep their job and go to them. Negative community backlash is inconsequential to their professional work; if anything, it keeps them employed because of the traffic.

LiK

Jeff is usually an oracle with this shit, but I don't understand his defence either. If you suppose someone could have chosen to write nothing as a potential alternative, that's a pretty damning summation of what he did write.

Feeling completely disrespected by a publisher taking up your time and then telling you what you can't write because they've sold an exclusive to the competition? Make that your story - address the absolute dumb fuckery that is the setup of E3 Judges' Week. But oh no, that might jeopardise future access.

If I hadn't followed Jeff's work for years and didn't know his impeccable history, I'd say it sounds like the same old "but I know this writer and I like them!" wagon circling that started sowing the seeds of distrust in the enthusiast press years before GG was a thing.

I remember a game journo (forget which one) saying the article was written for them. Well, yea, great. Thanks for writing about something that doesn't respect the audience's time. No one wants to click on "Rock Band 4 Impressions" and end up reading something that looks like it was copied/pasted from Livejournal. Save that shit for an OP/ED piece.

Myggen

It was just a poorly written piece that made the writer look really really lame. I don't have a problem with doing that kind of story if it's good like this one: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/14/cara-vs-crysis-3-was-never-a-fair-fight/

Yeah, that's my takeaway too. For me it's not about the writer not "respecting my time" or whatever, it's a preview piece of a Guitar Hero 4 event that was part of the judge's week and it takes me maybe 20 seconds to see that it doesn't contain much information about the game so who gives a fuck, but it wasn't very well written. And that's okay. The backlash against that article has been absolutely fucking insanely out of proportions, and that Tired Old Hack article just seemed bitter and hyperbolic to me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It was just a poorly written piece that made the writer look really really lame. I don't have a problem with doing that kind of story if it's good like this one: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/14/cara-vs-crysis-3-was-never-a-fair-fight/

I can't stand Rock Paper Shotgun solely because of these kinds of articles. I'd put up with a Polygon or Kotaku article before them. If you think Alex is too snarky, NEVER read that fucking site.

Everything's an editorial.

popo

Jesus christ, i just finished the bombcast and i get a notification for the beastcast.

Sucks. I just did a big shop and I can't fit all this food in to my big American style fridge. Sometimes I think it would be better to be poor and hungry. ;)

BearPawB

Banned

Colin Blocked me on twitter...I wasn't even mean! just asked him a clarification question

I still think it is shitty to go to a place, ostensibly to play a game, and instead of playing the game and writing about it, you choose to write about how you stood in the corner and ate some food.

I don't know how that helps your readers. I don't know why anyone should find that interesting.
I don't want a bulletpoint list of rockband facts. But why would i want an article from a guy who doesn't even want to touch a controller?

*edit: i also think it is shitty to attack a writer for a lame article.

Zaph

well maybe it convinced a few more people to not read Polygon and we can just consider that a net gain

Where else am I supposed to find the latest comic book movie trailers and Game of Thrones recaps? You should really think these things through before making crazy suggestions, stump.

LiK

Colin Blocked me on twitter...I wasn't even mean! just asked him a clarification question

I still think it is shitty to go to a place, ostensibly to play a game, and instead of playing the game and writing about it, you choose to write about how you stood in the corner and ate some food.

I don't know how that helps your readers. I don't know why anyone should find that interesting.
I don't want a bulletpoint list of rockband facts. But why would i want an article from a guy who doesn't even want to touch a controller?

*edit: i also think it is shitty to attack a writer for a lame article.

It's not an attack, it's criticism. He got paid for writing that....thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom