• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BanGy.nz

Banned
The Giant Bomb E3 coverage is gonna be great this year, between like eight press conferences and the debut of Dan and Jason
and Cara
. Honestly I probably enjoy GB's E3 coverage more than the actual conference itself, their edited stuff is always fantastic.

Have they said which infomercials press conferences they're covering? I know they're not covering the "PC games are cool too" event but any word on Bethesda or Square Enix?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I bet like 10 people only play it

Man, what a dead game. I bet the devs are extremely disheartened. With the cash shop they set up, they should've just made it an F2P with rotating hunters/monsters. Would've been much more popular.

It's not entirely unfeasible that this would happen. I wouldn't be surprised if it went F2P sometime soon.

In fact they already have the infrastructure for it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Have they said which infomercials press conferences they're covering? I know they're not covering the "PC games are cool too" one but any word on the Bethesda event?

They are doing the sofa thing again so they can cover them all

Have they said which infomercials press conferences they're covering? I know they're not covering the "PC games are cool too" event but any word on Bethesda or Square Enix?

I'm pretty sure Jeff said they'd be doing the Bethesda conference, not sure about Square Enix. That's a shame about the PC conference, I hadn't heard that! Sounds like it would be an entertaining trainwreck

It's not entirely unfeasible that this would happen. I wouldn't be surprised if it went F2P sometime soon.

In fact they already have the infrastructure for it.

Yeah, and it wouldn't hurt them as much since they don't have a subscriber model. I'm betting they're waiting for the first major sale, they'll prolly cut the price by half, then they'll make it free before december. Reap maximum profit.

Jintor

Evolve sounded like what I always believed Natural Selection was kind of like but focused on one big monster instead of a team of upgrading chestbursters

I wanted Evolve to be the next gen game that defines a entire generation of asymmetrical multiplayer video games but then 2K had to ruin it with some of the most egregious implementation of DLC and preorder bullshit in any game. I hope they learned their lesson.

just to add stats here

boKCzyA.png

now this is only steam

we dont know what it is on consoles

and off the top of my head i dont know if evolve is steamworks or not so it could even have pc players elsewhere

L4D3 isnt too far off

It's kinda like Halo 3 to Halo 4, the magic will probably never be recaptured for me.

fo sure. i have some really strong memories of l4d and l4d2 in both co-op and versus mode

Yeah man! I still break out Slow Zombies Realism on this crazy accurate Disneyland map when I'm back with my cousin for holiday break. It's great! Such a fun game, and so many good memories with it.

danm999

Was the content just not there or something for Evolve? The drop off is almost difficult to believe for a game that's, by and large, not broken.

Zebetite

Banned
Currently playing Castlevania SOTN for the first time and I fecking love this sound track.

Dat demon hunting disco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv5MAdxxX_8

I always really liked how SOTN made the bold choice to include a minimal number of remixes from earlier Castlevania titles (Saturn version notwithstanding). Every 16-bit era CV game has its own spin on Vampire Killer, Bloody Tears and Beginning, but SOTN's like "nah b, let's just repurpose two Rondo tracks (Dance of Illusions and Bloodlines) as boss tunes and leave it there." Everything else is 100% original.

demidar

I always really liked how SOTN made the bold choice to include a minimal number of remixes from earlier Castlevania titles (Saturn version notwithstanding). Every 16-bit era CV game has its own spin on Vampire Killer, Bloody Tears and Beginning, but SOTN's like "nah b, let's just repurpose two Rondo tracks (Dance of Illusions and Bloodlines) as boss tunes and leave it there." Everything else is 100% original.

I need Vinny to get to SotN. I need it.

breezy I'm dead serious right now

I read your balance talk in the other thread

that's not the way riot balances, never has been never will be

if you do want a game that let's things play out and see what happens... well I think you know where I'm going with that

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh man, I'm playing through 999 right now and i coincidentally managed to find the episodes where Patrick was talking about 999.

Gonna be fun to listen to his impressions again now that I have some context. Hopefully he doesn't spoil anything

demidar

Oh man, I'm playing through 999 right now and i coincidentally managed to find the episodes where Patrick was talking about 999.

Gonna be fun to listen to his impressions again now that I have some context. Hopefully he doesn't spoil anything

First time? I envy you.

breezy I'm dead serious right now

I read your balance talk in the other thread

that's not the way riot balances, never has been never will be

if you do want a game that let's things play out and see what happens... well I think you know where I'm going with that

I will never back down and join DotA. NEVER!

And I know Riot will never balance like that...

Myggen

I'm pretty sure Jeff said they'd be doing the Bethesda conference, not sure about Square Enix. That's a shame about the PC conference, I hadn't heard that! Sounds like it would be an entertaining trainwreck

His answer on Tumblr when someone asked if they're gonna "talk over" the PC conference:

That thing’s being run by a magazine. It’d be like if we rebroadcast IGN’s stage show and talked mess about it the whole time. Nope!

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Evolve just isn't that good, it's not only about the DLC and whatnot. They had an open "alpha" and that's where I decided that I don't like it. Wasn't the only one either, judging by the reactions at the time.
Gamespot had so much coverage, though. Some higher-up must've thought it's the new TF2 or something.

danm999

Evolve just isn't that good, it's not only about the DLC and whatnot. They had an open "alpha" and that's where I decided that I don't like it. Wasn't the only one either, judging by the reactions at the time.
Gamespot had so much coverage, though. Some higher-up must've thought it's the new TF2 or something.

I mean, IIRC it had a shitload of buzz at E3 and won awards but just got forgotten.

Zaph

Evolve is a like a perfect case study for what happens when you don't strike while the iron is hot. They dragged out the release and marketing of that game something rotten, to the point where all they had left to talk about was the DLC.

Also doesn't help that they tried to turn what should have been a cool little multiplayer thing which grows organically into your typical overexposed AAA release.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

I played the game and absolutely loathed it. The start was great but it became extremely tedious. The subsequent play through a required made it worse. The story was so rediculous.
When the solution to a big mystery is magical nonsense, it's not satisfactory for me.
I don't get what the appeal is. I might have to give that spoilercast a listen to figure out what Patrick and others saw that I didn't.

I did, however, enjoy Danganronpa. I'd like to get to the sequel at some point.

Aaron

Minus the dlc bs it would have done fine if it came out in October
No way. The game has serious logevity problems due to being very team dependent and intentionally imblanced. It should have been a free to play game at best. Sending it out for $60 was sending it to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom