• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It all feels like a desire for “the good old days,” where things–race, countries, games–were simpler. But there were no good old days. There were just days before we knew better.

But my Saturday morning cartoons!

If this is what Walker considers a "quick response" I'm excited to see the meatier pieces he puts out in the future.

Zornack

Eh, not really a fan of the piece. Doesn't touch on the original source having no ethnic diversity and while I agree that the poster offhandedly calling him an idiot went too far, he is right that Austin did set up a straw man.

Eh, not really a fan of the piece. Doesn't touch on the original source having no ethnic diversity and while I agree that the poster offhandedly calling him an idiot went too far, he is right that Austin did set up a straw man.

I thought that's what the whole thing about Zerrakania was about. As in, yeah, the Witcher universe isn't just Slavic dudes, there is minor diversity there, as there is in Poland, however slim it is.

Myggen

I thought that's what the whole thing about Zerrakania was about. As in, yeah, the Witcher universe isn't just Slavic dudes, there is minor diversity there, as there is in Poland, however slim it is.

Yep.

Eh, maybe, but the way the games handle Zerrikanian is identical to how the books handle Zerrakania: hardly at all.

Sure, but the option's there to explore it further if they wanted to. I do however feel that Witcher 3 isn't a very good game to have discussion around both because of the cultural context and because of the source material being very, very white. There's plenty of gender and race problems in games, but I honestly can't fault the devs of Witcher 3 too much.

Eh, maybe, but the way the games handle Zerrikanian is identical to how the books handle Zerrakania: hardly at all.

You could probably then say the original books have the same problem, right? It's easy to throw one's hands up and claim fealty to source material, but it's just as easy to then apply your criticism across both the adaptation and the source material.

On top of that, the nature of games as a medium means you see more of the wider world than in a book or a film. There's no director's intent about what parts of the world you're seeing, or a constant tracking eye on certain characters; you have to build that world, and everything you build is available for consumption and then criticism.

I've no real side here, having experienced literally none of the Witcher side, that's just my two cents. The Witcher seems like a fairly well-realised world, politically speaking, so I don't want to bag on it too much for the one thing it never really tries to tackle. But for those that do, the source material isn't an iron-clad defence.

As someone who absolutely adores the Witcher 3, the criticism about the lack of diversity is 100% valid. I would have loved to have seen some travelers from far off lands coming to the Northern Kingdoms. There's a massive war going on, so even if you argue that in this fantasy world the area is dominated by white races, I'd expect mercenaries and profiteers from around the world coming to take advantage.

The 3 main arguments arguing against it that I disagree with the most are:

1. The insufferable "don't tell the artist what to create" argument that has been oh so common when anyone dare criticize a game about diversity or representation. Strangely, you rarely ever see the same argument when it comes to game play mechanic and other design decision criticisms. I know the source of this argument's new popularity, which makes it that much more irritating.

2. The "it wouldn't make sense for other races to be represented," which seems to be a desire to perpetuate the whitewashing of history. It's all the more absurd when it's a fictional fantasy world.

3. "Don't add diversity for diversity's sake." Like any non-white race character needs to justify their existence. This one I understand the least. How about diversity for the sake of realism. How about don't alienate for no good reason?

Having read a few articles about the issue with Witcher 3, I'll agree that it's a little weird that there aren't even a couple people of color somewhere in there. I don't think CDPR deserves to be raked over the coals for it, because it probably wasn't malicious. But I definitely think it's fair to be disappointed, and to point it out to them, and hope that they do better in the future with an increased awareness.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
This whole thing feels completely out or proportion to me, thanks to the friendly folks who run around screaming "YOU CAN'T CRITICISE THEM FOR THAT". Yes you can. It's actually pretty easy.
People need to realise that criticising something isn't the same as hating it. It is absolutely fair to say "Hey, CDP please think about making your next game more diverse". There is nothing wrong with it. CDP can handle themselves, they are big boys. They can deal with a little criticism.

You could probably then say the original books have the same problem, right? It's easy to throw one's hands up and claim fealty to source material, but it's just as easy to then apply your criticism across both the adaptation and the source material.

On top of that, the nature of games as a medium means you see more of the wider world than in a book or a film. There's no director's intent about what parts of the world you're seeing, or a constant tracking eye on certain characters; you have to build that world, and everything you build is available for consumption and then criticism.

I've no real side here, having experienced literally none of the Witcher side, that's just my two cents. The Witcher seems like a fairly well-realised world, politically speaking, so I don't want to bag on it too much for the one thing it never really tries to tackle. But for those that do, the source material isn't an iron-clad defence.

I read the books, I don't remember a line like "And there were absolutely no black people around anywhere. The end"
So saying "but the books!" is a weak excuse.
Also
GERALT FUCKING DIES
at the end of the books, so I feel like they already took some artistic liberty. People don't need to make excuses for CDP, they can deal with it.

1. The insufferable "don't tell the artist what to create" argument that has been oh so common when anyone dare criticize a game about diversity or representation. Strangely, you rarely ever see the same argument when it comes to game play mechanic and other design decision criticisms. I know the source of this argument's new popularity, which makes it that much more irritating.

*COUGH*Mass Effect 3 ending *COUGH*

Sure, but the option's there to explore it further if they wanted to. I do however feel that Witcher 3 isn't a very good game to have discussion around both because of the cultural context and because of the source material being very, very white. There's plenty of gender and race problems in games, but I honestly can't fault the devs of Witcher 3 too much.

where are the black people in sleeping dogs

why isn't anyone else as upset about this as me

the elder scrolls games should be a model example to follow because they do diversity well and relatively effortlessly

for all the other problems that series has, at least you can say that much about it

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
the elder scrolls games should be a model example to follow because they do diversity well and relatively effortlessly

for all the other problems that series has, at least you can say that much about it

There is a rumor going around that Fallout 4 will only let you play as a male, and I see people being excited about this because "it will piss off the SJWs!!"

Myggen

*COUGH*Mass Effect 3 ending *COUGH*

Yeah, the same people who scream bloody murder every time they see an argument being made in favour of more diversity in a game, against the rape scene in Hotline Miami 2 etc. probably didn't have ANY problem with Bioware "changing" that ending based on the massive outrage.

The internet really needs to learn the difference between criticism and trying to get something changed/banned. They're not the same.

There is a rumor going around that Fallout 4 will only let you play as a male, and I see people being excited about this because "it will piss off the SJWs!!"

The original casting was supposed to be both male and female, at least according to the documents Kotaku obtained in 2013 or whatever. Seems weird if they've changed it.

that would kind of bum me out if true because I play as women 100% of the time* when the option is available

*except Mass Effect because femshep just always seemed too serious and playing as the male Space Douchebag was too funny to me. something about that guy's voice and intonation always cracked me up

Speaking of Fallout 4.

I really hope you can pick voices for the main character because I really dont want to have my MC for a 100 hour game be Troy Baker. Nothing against him but enough is enough already.

Or ya know. Maybe I make a lady if they only have 1 voice per gender.

danm999

I think the Witcher handles a fuckton of issues with a lot of grace that video games either handle badly, or don't even bother touching. I'm specifically thinking of racism and racial tension, homophobia, domestic violence, trans identity and eugenics.

So when I read an article like that one that spawned the gaming side discussion a few days ago that says CPDR probably forgot black people exist hence no representation my eyes roll pretty far back in my head.

I agree with the article's core point; you could pretty easily represent racial diversity in the Witcher without compromising the game or the lore (shit I'd love to learn more about Zerrakania and it's culture). I just think that failing to do so is not such a terrible flaw given that the Witcher is clearly interested in allegorising the discrimination of racial minorities in our own world with a lot of stuff in that game's lore.

It's a popular current release so I get why it's receiving that scrutiny. I just suppose I want to say to CDPR "you did great, but here's how you can do even better" rather than the "you fucked up" tone.

Yep.

Yeah, this whole brouhahahahaha takes the eyes off the elephants in the room, but ALOT of people have shoved their chips into shaky bets that ain't looking too good due to the heated arguments.

The original casting was supposed to be both male and female, at least according to the documents Kotaku obtained in 2013 or whatever. Seems weird if they've changed it.

Also considering that Fallout 3 let you play as whatever gender, as do most open world games, I don't think they'll go male only.

Likely it's just wishful thinking of that distrusting, puss-filled tumor that sits on the corner of the gaming internet.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Speaking of Fallout 4.

I really hope you can pick voices for the main character because I really dont want to have my MC for a 100 hour game be Troy Baker. Nothing against him but enough is enough already.

Or ya know. Maybe I make a lady if they only have 1 voice per gender.

What if troy baker voices the lady?

What if troy baker voices the lady?

F4mPM6i.gif

But Renegade femshep is the best possible Shepard :(

Renegade Femshep is the only way to play ME.

that would kind of bum me out if true because I play as women 100% of the time* when the option is available

*except Mass Effect because femshep just always seemed too serious and playing as the male Space Douchebag was too funny to me. something about that guy's voice and intonation always cracked me up

But Renegade femshep is the best possible Shepard :(

I played through all of Saint's Row 2/3/4 with a blue-haired anime looking chick with the male cockney voice

I will go ahead and say that those games probably have my favorite character creation systems as a result

demidar

Witcher 3 (of as much as I've played of it) always seemed like a deeply considered world. Almost everything was placed with intention with respect to lore and world events. That doesn't mean that PoC couldn't be seamlessly integrated in though through an involved sidequest (or even part of the main quest ala Witcher 1). CPR could've run out of time, or maybe they never intended to put them in in the first place (considering the Northern Kingdoms in a warzone and Zerrikania is even further away from it than Nilfgaard), but the absence of PoC never felt out of place to me, not in the way an open world game set in relatively modern times would.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It was a real dumb point my gut tells me was born from reading the Slavic mythology page on Wikipedia and misunderstanding what "no first hand records" means when it comes to folklore rather than anything more insidious.

Oh I agree that it wasn't anything insidious, but you really shouldn't put misinformation that can be easily used to dismiss your argument.

danm999

Oh I agree that it wasn't anything insidious, but you really shouldn't put misinformation that can be easily used to dismiss your argument.

Yeah pretty much. As I said in that thread, it's kind of hypocritical to call out something for being regressive in terms of representation and then call a cultural mythology we don't usually see represented in games somehow unworthy.

Crashdown

Neo Member
Yeah pretty much. As I said in that thread, it's kind of hypocritical to call out something for being regressive in terms of representation and then call a cultural mythology we don't usually see represented in games somehow unworthy.
Quick question: Are you two referring to Austin, or the writer of that Polygon piece?

Beastcast is so fucking good. I don't mind them having guests but it seems to work really well with just Vinny, Alex and Austin; they're a great combination. The Hearthstone bit in this week's episode had me struggling to not make weird noises on the train.
Banner contest is churning out some winners

2755766-squaree3.png

I like this one:
2755557-whitegreyblack-playstation-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom