• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

Everyone seems so eager to talk on the Beastcast, and they're only 3 people. It's certainly a striking difference to the SF cast.

2755772-banner01.gif

Fitting.
No games.

justjim89

Eh, not sure I agree with you there.

Don't get me wrong, I love Dan and him and Jason being brought on made the site the best it has ever been, but on the bombcast it's almost always:

"Well, Dan, how was your weekend?"

(20 minutes pass)

"Well Dan, what've you been playing?"

(2 hours pass with the Jeff and Brad show in full force)

"Dan, someone emailed in to ask you this..."

And that's basically it. Dan's an entertaining personality but on the bombcast all he brings to the table are wacky stories.

It all feels like a desire for “the good old days,” where things–race, countries, games–were simpler. But there were no good old days. There were just days before we knew better.

with three sentences, Austin makes an awful lot of people look really stupid

Myggen

Don't get me wrong, I love Dan and him and Jason being brought on made the site the best it has ever been, but on the bombcast it's almost always:

"Well, Dan, how was your weekend?"

(20 minutes pass)

"Well Dan, what've you been playing?"

(2 hours pass with the Jeff and Brad show in full force)

"Dan, someone emailed in to ask you this..."

And that's basically it. Dan's an entertaining personality but on the bombcast all he brings to the table are wacky stories.

I would say that Dan almost talked as much as Brad and Jeff on this week's Bombcast (which I actually kept an eye on because of all the complaints about Dan not being active enough etc.). Which is more than usual, but I feel like you're exaggerating so much that it's difficult to respond.

That said, I would always like Dan to be more active on the Bombcast! But I think he's been getting a lot better.

justjim89

I would say that Dan almost talked as much as Brad and Jeff on this week's Bombcast (which I actually kept an eye on because of all the complaints about Dan not being active enough etc.). Which is more than usual, but I feel like you're exaggerating so much that it's difficult to respond.

That said, I would always like Dan to be more active on the Bombcast! But I think he's been getting a lot better.

That's fair, I suppose I am being a bit hyperbolic.

justjim89

Best story is bound to be an interesting discussion, because it'll inevitably come down to Witcher vs. MGSV. And if Dan was willing to dig his heels in and argue for Ground Zeroes, he'll surely do the same for MGSV, assuming the game is of at least some level of quality.

Best story is bound to be an interesting discussion, because it'll inevitably come down to Witcher vs. MGSV. And if Dan was willing to dig his heels in and argue for Ground Zeroes, he'll surely do the same for MGSV, assuming the game is of at least some level of quality.

I mean Dan didn't exactly change anyone's mind during the Ground Zeroes debate.

Myggen

It looks cool but I can't decide if I want to buy it on Steam or on my iPhone.

It's really good on a phone. A game like that will always be better on phones for me because it feels like (and it probably was) made for a touch screen.

I mean Dan didn't exactly change anyone's mind during the Ground Zeroes debate.

GZ was an impossible argument to win. MGSV might be a bit more interesting, even though I'm guessing Witcher 3 will take it.

Are there any other narrative contenders coming up this year? I can't think of many.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Bombcast gave Splatoon more universal praise than Witcher. Everyone will fall off Witcher and it'll be like 7th place for 'doing something cool but not really having enough time to see more of it and deal with its controls.'

If you're lucky it can be 2016's 2015 GOTY.

Bombcast gave Splatoon more universal praise than Witcher. Everyone will fall off Witcher and it'll be like 7th place for 'doing something cool but not really having enough time to see more of it and deal with its controls.'

If you're lucky it can be 2016's 2015 GOTY.

Can you imagine the drama generated if Splatoon won GB GOTY?

The Fallout versus Witcher fight would be legendary if it happens.

Speaking of I wonder how much the Deus Ex guys are looking at Fallout right now hoping it doesnt launch right next to their planned release.

Sure, but the option's there to explore it further if they wanted to. I do however feel that Witcher 3 isn't a very good game to have discussion around both because of the cultural context and because of the source material being very, very white. There's plenty of gender and race problems in games, but I honestly can't fault the devs of Witcher 3 too much.

White in America is not the same as white in Europe. Slavic people have had not a very fun time at all. Poland only became a soverign nation in 1989 after the Nazis and the Soviets brutalized the land for the better part of the 20th Century. From Auschwitz to the Red Army raping and murdering their way across the land on the road to Berlin, from Nazi book burning to Soviet cultural marxism which executed a great deal of scholars on the matter, Witcher is basically a work of cultural preservation for a people that have been utterly fucking brutalized and savaged by history for centuries.

If anyone gets a bit of a pass for a lack of diversity, its probably CDProjektRED, who also hired the black creator of Cyberpunk 2020 and have named him co-creator on the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 game. Polygon's original piece is hilarious considering they don't even have a single black person on staff yet are decrying a lack of diversity in a fictional world.

I think Jeff will go all in for MGSV. When it was first announced he was excited that it was wacky in the character descriptions, and between that and the dog companion...its all over, boys

Crashdown

Neo Member
Remember when people in this thread thought I was crazy to think they might like Witcher 3?

Also I can't wait for Jeff to try and argue there was no game of the year.

I feel like he's been within a hair's breadth of arguing that a couple of times.

justjim89

The Fallout versus Witcher fight would be legendary if it happens.

Speaking of I wonder how much the Deus Ex guys are looking at Fallout right now hoping it doesnt launch right next to their planned release.

Oh yeah Deus Ex is due this year, isn't it? Hmmm.

I'm hyped for Fallout, but I just don't see any city in F4 feeling as bustling and lived-in as Novigrad. Or any stretch of open Wasteland feeling as huge and foreboding as the first time you run around in Velen.

That's not even to mention the quality of characterization and dialogue. Though I'd love to be surprised if Fallout 4 has a character equivalent of The Bloody Baron. Someone you by all rights should absolutely despise but end up just wanting to hug.

Real talk.

Kerbal Space Program is the first game I have ever lost a entire afternoon to.

I sat down at 4pm on a Saturday a week or two ago and suddenly its 9pm.

This is probably light weight for some people but I normally never play a game longer then 1 hour at a time. Sometimes I go to 2 but that is rare. Not because of life responsibilities. just the way I play. Also I never play a game before 1pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom