• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a real bad feeling about AK since it was announced. I really hope I'm wrong about it because I loved the last two Rocksteady games.

Where is that bad feeling about AK coming from? I ask because I have it too and I can't explain why. I never played Origins so I don't exactly feel burnt out on the concept since I was ready for a sequel as soon as I finished City which I loved. Just something about what they've been showing so far is off.

Where is that bad feeling about AK coming from? I ask because I have it too and I can't explain why. I never played Origins so I don't exactly feel burnt out on the concept since I was ready for a sequel as soon as I finished City which I loved. Just something about what they've been showing so far is off.

It's the car.

Doubling down on the open world and adding way more activities seems like another step away from how brilliantly focused and tight Arkham Asylum was. They are adding a ton of gameplay systems and mechanics, like the driving and the character swap stuff, which could potentially just make the game feel really unfocused and scattered. Especially if the new stuff isn't excuted as well as the main combat and navigation stuff, which judging by the previews seems really likely.

The art style's getting a little out there for what I like from Batman, and the Arkham Knight character seems sorta beat.

Basically they seem to be building on the parts I didn't like from Arkham City, and getting further away from what made Arkham Asylum so special.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They didn't need to make another Batman after the first game. The combat was praised because it was simple but fun. In City, they added more finishers and added more enemy variety to bloat it more rather than making the basic combat itself more complex. Sleeping Dogs is a better concept of making Batman combat more difficult without making it feel muddled. Course, Rockstar did that LONG before Batman with The Warriors and Bully.

The Arkham franchise is the perfect candidate for how badly bloat can hurt your game from the location to the massive selection of villains just so they could 'get everyone'

I feel I could enjoy driving around in the car and doing a few side activities in it but the tank stuff Jeff has complained about a few times does look boring as fuck.

Zaph

Dunno why, but the car stuff in AK reminds me of G-Police, so I'm hyped.

Now who wants some Diesel jeans?

Brashnir

d7Qj4jf.gif

everyone reading this thread is now saying this in the voice from the game.

erawsd

Batmobile looks like a ton of fun to me.

tvNANVs.gif

The tank mode looks weird but it seems like it could be a fun diversion as long as it isnt overused.

I always thought the Batmobile was dumb. A car is pretty much the least efficient mode of transportation for a superhero.

Need to get somewhere fast or pursue someone? Use a bike, you can dismount easier and aren't confined to empty roads. Need to travel a greater distance? Use a fucking JET.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I always thought the Batmobile was dumb. A car is pretty much the least efficient mode of transportation for a superhero.

Need to get somewhere fast or pursue someone? Use a bike, you can dismount easier and aren't confined to empty roads. Need to travel a greater distance? Use a fucking JET.

You know what else isn't efficient for a superhero?

A fucking cape.

Zaph

But what if you need to chase people down a highway while looking really cool and endangering civilian lives? BATMOBILE

You know what else isn't efficient for a superhero?

A fucking cape.

D40qoxE.gif

Strax

The driving stuff is a red flag given what Jeff has said. I remember reading reviews and posts on GAF complaining that the car wasn't drivable in Asylum and City and now people don't want the car (mostly)

People don't know what they want so don't listen to them.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
"I wasn't driving, so I didn't kill those criminals."

I don't think Batman is concerned anymore about not killing anybody. In the trailer he shoved a guys head into an fuse box. That can't be good.

I cannot believe we are actually talking about GotY. But so far it has to be Witcher 3. Nothing else comes even close.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The driving stuff is a red flag given what Jeff has said. I remember reading reviews and posts on GAF complaining that the car wasn't drivable in Asylum and City and now people don't want the car (mostly)

People don't know what they want so don't listen to them.

That's been my thought.

Since Asylum came out, what I wanted most, was a real version of Gotham, complete with vehicles and random civilians needing to be saved.

This is almost there. Just seems like they created a reason for most of the civilians to be gone, and no jets.

I said it last year, I think Witcher 3 is a shoe-in for GOTY and I think that's even more the case now its been released. Everyone, sans Brett, has heaped praise on the game and I'd bet even he will give it a fair shake and come around on it eventually. The game is too good and already blows anything on last year's list out of the water.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
wouldn't be surprised if the car stuff ends up being mostly optional. i mean there's really no need to use it for traversal since Batman can basically fly in those games. the tank stuff has looked dumb since the beginning tho.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
wouldn't be surprised if the car stuff ends up being mostly optional. i mean there's really no need to use it for traversal since Batman can basically fly in those games. the tank stuff has looked dumb since the beginning tho.

The example Jeff gave on the bombcast didn't sound great.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
you know who always thought mordor and destiny would be in the top 10 ? me and tharp baby

take that daydream/myggen/wunder

Did people really not expect Mordor to even be in the top ten? I thought it was clearly their game of the year before the whole thing even started.

I'd say that's also part of the problem. The biggest thing they've added to the game is a vehicle that will likely be a worse method of traversal than the already existing method, so the only time you'll use the vehicle is during forced sections that are either drawn out puzzles or tank combat. Hopefully there are plenty of refinements to all of the existing ideas from Arkham City because if Arkham Knight is that game again only in a bigger city with a vehicle it would be a real bummer.

Zornack

I can't see anything beating out Witcher 3 for GotY besides MGS V, but only if Brett gets behind it, or if Fallout 4 comes out this year.

Or if No Man's Sky comes out and is fucking crazy and spaceships and planets and this is my life now, but I doubt that'll happen.

jaina

we only started GOTY talk to get away from pitting very enjoyable podcasts against each other.

I hope the stand-ins or some similar tomfoolery return for this year's GB EEE.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
There's no way Arkham Knight is going to come out better than Asylum or City, and probably not even Origins, which was really unfairly maligned imo. It's going to be a bloated mess with too many collectibles and busywork, bad car sections. At the same time, don't be surprised if it initially scores 9s and 10s all over the place because reviewers are easily impressed by high production values and games that are easy to play because they've been tuned to the lowest common denominator. That's not me shitting on the press, that's just the way it is. Critics generally don't have time to devote dozens of hours to a single game.

Whatever happens I'm just glad that we're halfway through the year and we've already had multiple games that blow last year's big winners out of the water.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'd say that's also part of the problem. The biggest thing they've added to the game is a vehicle that will likely be a worse method of traversal than the already existing method, so the only time you'll use the vehicle is during forced sections that are either drawn out puzzles or tank combat. Hopefully there are plenty of refinements to all of the existing ideas from Arkham City because if Arkham Knight is that game again only in a bigger city with a vehicle it would be a real bummer.

oh no doubt. if one of the two things on the cover ends up being a meaningless or boring mechanic, that's kind of a bummer.

honestly, the biggest worry for me so far has been the voice acting. it was awful in that last video they released. maybe I just got used to Mark Hamill being awesome and stealing the show, but I could've sworn the voice direction was better in the previous games. especially Asylum.

How does Sleeping Dogs make the Batman combat more difficult? It's almost impossible to die in Sleeping Dogs, you can counter everything and there's no more than a few enemies on screen at once. Whereas in the Batman games at any one time you can be fighting a dozen enemies, dealing with larger enemies that rush you, projectiles, and so on. The combat in the Batman games is far more varied and interesting. Sleeping Dogs is one of the more basic brawlers out there, and outside of the terrible gun implementation it never changes or adds any kind of new mechanic throughout the entire game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom