• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjim89

Bloodborne will get higher in terms of GOTY consideration than any previous Souls game, on account of most of the staff actually putting in significant time, but it won't take GOTY. Maybe Best Suprise?

Best New Character - Bloody Baron

Most Disappointing Game - Fallout 4 or Arkham Knight (I just got a feeling)

Please Stop - Konami as a whole

Holy shit guys Witcher 3 just gets better and better. Couple of technical gripes though. Buttoning through conversations takes too long, and the game always saves BEFORE conversations and never after. Also, sometime enemies are able to attack before you can see or move after a cinematic, which more than a few times has resulted in a death I couldn't have avoided. But otherwise the game is just incredible, my favorite in years.

[EDIT] Watch it with the spoilers guy.

Patryn

I said it last year, I think Witcher 3 is a shoe-in for GOTY and I think that's even more the case now its been released. Everyone, sans Brett, has heaped praise on the game and I'd bet even he will give it a fair shake and come around on it eventually. The game is too good and already blows anything on last year's list out of the water.
I'll do my part to ensure it wins it:

GB's GOTY is going to be either Metal Gear or Fallout, but Witcher will place.

Given my track record, they will now prove me wrong.

I actually haven't played Witcher 3. I've tried the series a bunch of times and it's just not for me. Maybe I'll try it down the road, but I'm kind of cold on the game right now.

justjim89

How about instead we talk about baking chocolate chip cookies? My mom swears by chilled butter and a 1:1 ratio of white sugar to brown, but I think she's crazy. Melted butter and double the brown sugar all the way.

What do you guys think?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
How does Sleeping Dogs make the Batman combat more difficult? It's almost impossible to die in Sleeping Dogs, you can counter everything and there's no more than a few enemies on screen at once. Whereas in the Batman games at any one time you can be fighting a dozen enemies, dealing with larger enemies that rush you, projectiles, and so on. The combat in the Batman games is far more varied and interesting. Sleeping Dogs is one of the more basic brawlers out there, and outside of the terrible gun implementation it never changes or adds any kind of new mechanic throughout the entire game.

Because Sleeping Dogs respects movement and has a much larger delay and smaller zone to hit a counter. Where as 'Batman throws more guys at you' Oh 3 guys? 3 guys Batman can tap y 3 times to counter and make a non issue. Not to mention the 'insta kill' mechanic. Even Dynasty Warriors doesn't give you a one button bounter than can work on an entire crowd of people. Then you factor in Batman's ability to fly half a mile across the screen into an auto combo, the free kill setup off a stun and the broken hitboxes when dodging.

I don't see how Batman combat can be difficult at anything.

Best new character?

tumblr_npevexts1C1sykjo1o1_540.png

The only thing that prevents you in Sleeping Dogs from pounding counter is the 2 or 3 second delay if you mistime the giant counter window, and being hit takes you out of it and allows you to get right back into the fighting. The thing that makes Batman's combat challenging is how aggressive the enemies are, you can counter enemies easily but it can get overwhelming when you're fighting 15 people who don't wait to take their turn assassin's creed style. Combined with managing the gun stations and all of the tools at your disposal and it becomes a blast on the harder difficulties. And Batman has a similar system where mistiming the counters resets your meter which prevents you from performing the instant kills.

In Sleeping Dogs there's almost no variation in enemy moves or at all other than the ones you can't grapple. It's mindnumbingly simple. Most enemies also just sit around, the ai needed to be a lot more aggressive. It's still fun because of the executions but Sleeping Dog's combat is way too simple.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Or maybe Just Cause 3, but please no!

Probably. I can't imagine Just Cause 3 straying much from the formula. People only remember the splosions from Just Cause 2 and the SECRET NINJAS and not all the boring shit, the long treks through boring speedtree-y looking area to get somewhere, the tedious base clearing that last 1%.

I'm always surprised how highly regarded Just Cause 2 is, honestly.

I'll take the underdog, Sigismund Dijkstra. He isn't involved in a plotline as impactful as the Bloody Baron but I'm a sucker for the accent and he reminds me of Letho as someone who is way more clever than he looks.

Best New Character has been a barely-disguised "character we'd most like to party with" replacement for years

Then I double down on Dijkstra.

Best New Character has been a barely-disguised "character we'd most like to party with" replacement for years

Whenever I think about that category, I remember being baffled that they said they've party with The Illusive Man. A rich racist asshole who likes to talk a lot about his work and show off his fancy space penthouse balcony seems like a real bummer of a party.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'll take the underdog, Sigismund Dijkstra. He isn't involved in a plotline as impactful as the Bloody Baron but I'm a sucker for the accent and he reminds me of Letho as someone who is way more clever than he looks.

Then I double down on Dijkstra.

I like him a lot too. Kind of surprised how the talk has been overwhelmingly about Baron when Dijkstra's influence is much more prominent and featured more heavily. And I like how he doesn't put up with Geralt's shit and he does a good balance of 'Man fuck you' and 'Man, you're alright.'

Probably. I can't imagine Just Cause 3 straying much from the formula. People only remember the splosions from Just Cause 2 and the SECRET NINJAS and not all the boring shit, the long treks through boring speedtree-y looking area to get somewhere, the tedious base clearing that last 1%.

I'm always surprised how highly regarded Just Cause 2 is, honestly.
They all enjoy the Far Cry games so it's not like that would bother them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom