• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

demidar

How does someone get banned on the site they work on. Rorie get your shit together.

But seriously, this is a good read. Much better than some writeups I have seen on the blogosphere these past few days.

Can't trust robots.

A much better article than the previous one. Improving diversity comes slow, and at the effort of everyone.

Honestly, I don't get why Austin had to explain that one paragraph he made on that forum post. If you got offended on behalf of the people asking why a game like Witcher 3 "should include PoC", then you're probably an asshole who won't change their attitude on topics like this.

Gestahl

Honestly, I don't get why Austin had to explain that one paragraph he made on that forum post. If you got offended on behalf of the people asking why a game like Witcher 3 "should include PoC", then you're probably an asshole who won't change their attitude on topics like this.

They could also be Polish

I see people in the OT talking about multiple playthroughs, and I'm just like 'dude what.' I've been playing it pretty much daily when I'm not at work and even then I feel like I'm nowhere close to done. I can't even imagine playing it a second time.

There ain't been a game I've beaten that some guy in the OT woudn't go "OK IVE ALREADY BEATEN IT NOW FOR NG+/SECOND PLAYTHRU WITH A TWIST LOL" 3 days later but I've realized that's just the one guy and it centers me.

I just realized how much potential Extra Lifes there are this year with the East Office now.

Huh, I wonder if they'll split the streams to give offices a break (east leading for time of course) or if they'll both do 24 hr streams and you'll have to decide which to give your time and/or money to.

Zornack

You can't just hide behind an excuse like "I come from a country that's 99% white" to explain why a game from there doesn't have single PoC in a huge fantasy world. It's a ridiculous attitude to have.

It's not. This is a good read on the matter.

The Witcher 3 is a Polish developed game based on the works of a Polish author. "Why should games have more minorities?" isn't a good question but "Why should The Witcher 3 have minorities characters?" is because of the unique development history of the game. The vast majority of big games come out of North America, Canada and the U.K. so we need to adjust how we examine games when they come from other regions.

To me it comes off as questioning why Bollywood movies don't have more Japanese people in them. Questioning Asian representation in media is a perfectly valid thing to do but you can't apply the same sweeping critique to all media.

Why doesn't he post it on the actual site?

I think he didn't post it on the site because it's just his initial thoughts on the matter which he wrote down over ~15 minutes as opposed to a piece he's worked on for hours/days.

Is it crazy to expect a AAA game developer like CD Projekt RED would develop a game in mind of the huge international audience they are going to market their game to?

Jintor

it's worth discussing, and people often say things without fully thinking through the flow-on effects from their words completely

To me it comes off as questioning why Bollywood movies don't have more Japanese people in them. Questioning Asian representation in media is a perfectly valid thing to do but you can't apply the same sweeping critique to all media.

why don't more bollywood movies have more japanese people in them?

i don't see anything that makes the line of questioning invalid. certainly there's answers and nuances and things to consider and i suppose you modulate the tone and intensity (so to speak) of the questioning depending on variant factors but it's still legitimate discussion

demidar

The Witcher 3 is a Polish developed game based on the works of a Polish author. "Why should games have more minorities?" isn't a good question but "Why should The Witcher 3 have minorities characters?" is because of the unique development history of the game. The vast majority of big games come out of North America, Canada and the U.K. so we need to adjust how we examine games when they come from other regions.

Oh I get it, by asking all works to be multiracial (particularly through the lens of America's own view of diversity), you're actually forcing homogeneity of diversity.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

They're fine with having white ass dudes on bollywood though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRzGBHcDcho

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Actually the one impressively racially diverse thing I've seen recently is REC. The chinese population is miniscule in spain yet they have a chinese/japanese couple in that movie.

Sure they're primarily there to make the other racist characters suffer some weird karmic thing for their hypocrisy, but they're still there!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
We're not getting another Vinnyvania, Old Games Show, Demo Derby, or Metal Gear Scanlon until after E3, are we?

It's been over 3 weeks since the last one of those things, and I need my fix of content about old games.

LiK

We're not getting another Vinnyvania, Old Games Show, Demo Derby, or Metal Gear Scanlon until after E3, are we?

It's been over 3 weeks since the last one of those things, and I need my fix of content about old games.

pretty much. i can't wait for the E3 content but i also want the regular shows back too.

justjim89

Guys after tonight's GoT I think I'm gonna quit playing Witcher, take a break from dark fantasy as a whole, and just watch every Endurance Run from start to finish.

Agreed?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
pretty much. i can't wait for the E3 content but i also want the regular shows back too.

That's it. Cancel E3. We have demos of PS1 Mary Kate and Ashley games that need covering.

Seriously though, I'm looking forward to the E3 content too, and understand why it might cut into the time to make their other shows. I guess I'll just watch the old Doom 2 Breaking Brad or Backflips and Bioforge again.

Jintor

"They don't exist" probably won't suffice, so I'll just tell it like it is: in the Witcher, the Conjunction of the Spheres destroyed North America.

personally, i want to see more fantasy universe set in messed up real universe. It's one of the reasons I love Shadowrun, a Dragon was briefly elected President of the USA (what remained of it)

Myggen

Guys after tonight's GoT I think I'm gonna quit playing Witcher, take a break from dark fantasy as a whole, and just watch every Endurance Run from start to finish.

Agreed?

I always wait until the season is over to watch tv shows, but the reaction to this episode has me excited.

Just got around to reading Austin's Witcher 3 stuff. What an amazing hire. I'm so happy he is working with the site.

Agreed. And I'm happy that the discussion in the comments was pretty much as level-headed as I've seen in regards to this topic. Some assholes, but a huge improvement over how this discussion would've gone if this was a year ago. I guess banning a bunch of bigots really can make a difference.

Jintor

I always wait until the season is over to watch tv shows, but the reaction to this episode has me excited.

Agreed. And I'm happy that the discussion in the comments was pretty much as level-headed as I've seen in regards to this topic. Some assholes, but a huge improvement over how this discussion would've gone if this was a year ago. I guess banning a bunch of bigots really can make a difference.

the worst (relative worst) comment in the thread is a guy being super nitpicky about grammar lol

if that's the worst, then gb community and/or troll protection has come a long way

Myggen

the worst (relative worst) comment in the thread is a guy being super nitpicky about grammar lol

if that's the worst, then gb community and/or troll protection has come a long way

If I can't attack your points I CAN AT LEAST ATTACK YOUR GRAMMAR!

Volotaire

I'm more curious about the new Doom than the next Fallout. There I said it.

I have to agree. And dare I say, if Hitman turns up, I might be more intrigued about the next Hitman than the new Deus Ex. For both, it's because we've seen virtually no footage of the games. Because of the disappointment of Absolution, I hope it gets back to its roots.

Also, wow, the D Pad thread has quite the vicious argument.

BanGy.nz

Banned
I'm waiting till something like that hits the front page before reading much into it.

Xater

I'm more curious about the Doom but I'm definitely looking forward to the new fallout - I love those damn games

Same here, I am totally going to play a new Fallout, but I am more curious about Doom. I still have this old school love for id and a good demon blasting FPS would be awesome.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm more curious about the Doom but I'm definitely looking forward to the new fallout more - I love those damn games

I defenitely want to see Doom more. I love Fallout but guess what. It's more Fallout.
I don't expect Bethesda will make any drastic changes to the "Elder Scrolls" formula so F4 will most likely be like F3.
Doom though. I have no idea what to expect. Is it just a shooter where you kill demons from Mars and/or Hell? Or will it be something more? Do I even want it to be something more? I have no idea.

You can't just hide behind an excuse like "I come from a country that's 99% white" to explain why a game like TW3 doesn't have single PoC in its huge fantasy world. It's a ridiculous attitude to have.

Hmmm...see I think this is a valid explanation how this happened, not necessarily an excuse. I highly doubt CDP are racist in any way (hell, just look at how they portray racists in their games) but if you come from a country where you basically only see and work with white people it is easy to just forget to put PoC in your game. You just don't think about it.

tchocky

Hmmm...see I think this is a valid explanation how this happened, not necessarily an excuse. I highly doubt CDP are racist in any way (hell, just look at how they portray racists in their games) but if you come from a country where you basically only see and work with white people it is easy to just forget to put PoC in your game. You just don't think about it.

In the Iwata asks for the Wii they said this happened when creating miis that they didn't include darker skin tones until it was pointed out by NOA, because it just never occurred to them.

ding ding ding

this conversation gets so much easier when we stop inferring the hows or whys about why
this sort of thing happens, and just focus on a) that it happened and b) the impact that has on players, world building and c) future diversity in games

PoC exist in The Witcher universe and have appeared in the games previously. Wild Hunt is essentially centered around the conflict of the Northern Crusades

Also its really weird that a developer in a country that has been brutally oppressed by tyrannical regimes for hundreds of years (including the Nazis and Stalin) that went out of their way to try and destroy the Slavic identity, including the destruction of ancient manuscripts and other historical and cultural items of note, is having demands placed on it by critics in one of the most imperialistic countries of all time. Not even mentioning the fact Witcher as a franchise is largely a cultural work of preserving and breathing new life into original Slavic folklore.

Flipyap

Not even mentioning the fact Witcher as a franchise is largely a cultural work of preserving and breathing new life into original Slavic folklore.
That's like saying that Final Fantasy is preserving and breathing new life into original Indian folklore by making Shiva a hot chick with ice powers.

That's like saying that Final Fantasy is preserving and breathing new life into original Indian folklore by making Shiva a hot chick with ice powers.

You tried this argument in the dedicated thread (now locked) and fell flat on your face. Again, to reiterate:

The Witcher franchise is based on a series of novels of the same name by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski. The video games take place after the books and feature the titular “witcher,” Geralt of Rivia, who is also the main character in Sapkowski’s works. The world of The Witcher series is heavily influence by Slavic mythology, and CD Projekt Red has carried this into their game adaptations.

Senior art producer Michał Krzemiński re-iterated this point, stating that the studio has woven Slavic cultural influences throughout the game right down to the designs of the buildings and villages. He said that the team also visited museums and pored through research material pertaining to Slavic history, folklore, and mythology to get ideas for the world of Wild Hunt.

Poland itself only recently gained independence in 1989, after decades of Soviet oppression (rapes, mass executions, etc) in the wake of World War 2 and the Nazi occupation, including the establishment of Auschwitz on Polish soil. This isn't even talking about the modern bigotry Slavic people face across Europe to this day.

It's half the reason Witcher has been so successful on the level of Lord of the Rings, because while Tolkien was largely influenced by the horrors of World War 1, Witcher is dealing with the Polish identity and issues they as a people have faced going back centuries - the core conflict of Wild Hunt is the Northern Crusades, for example. Elves and Dwarves aren't a stand in for PoC, but instead minorities Poland has dealt with in its past, including the Roma peoples.

"bu-but dragons and magic!! duhhhooiii" is only selling the power of fantasy literature short, cheapening it to be nothing more than generic hero's journeys and depressingly meaningless nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom