• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

EndmROk.gif

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I mean the gameplay looks boring (then again I was never interested in the megaman games) but the graphics look decent to good.

I'd say "decent to good" is a stretch, but the concept art looked amazing and the final game looks like the sort of game you see every Steam sale for $2. I've seen multiple people compare it to ARES, and I can't argue with that comparison.

The fact that they're going with concept art making the game look like it will be a beautifully done 2D game again while they're planning on another 2.5D unreal game doesn't exactly inspire confidence in this new Kickstarter.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
That's the thing though, it's concept art. When has any game lived up to its concept art?

Even something like Xrd doesn't live up to daisuke's amazing artwork.

BearPawB

Banned
That's the thing though, it's concept art. When has any game lived up to its concept art?

Even something like Xrd doesn't live up to daisuke's amazing artwork.

Which is fine. But is exactly why I wont fund any more games that just show me concept art. People are dropping hundreds of dollars on this kickstarter, and no one has any idea what the game is actually going to look like.

Concept art is cool when it is character sketches.
But when you put in fake "in game" concept art, it just seems gross.
Like the UI mock-ups and stuff.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm not going to argue against that honestly. People should be smarter with their money. Same thing with preorders really.

Still don't think the in-game graphics look as bad as people are making it out to be. Hitting below expectation compared to the concept art, sure, but that's like thinking a CG trailer would look like gameplay.

neshcom

Banned
Man, they hid that 2.5D info in the very bottom of the campaign. I guess Street Fighter games and Guilty Gear have gotten a good use out of stylistic shaders.

They must really expect this thing to be big if $28 is the barrier to entry.

Patryn

I really don't understand people's alpha protocol hate.
That game is incredible

If you treat it like a shooter, you will have a bad time.

In fact, if you try anything other than pistols/stealth, you will have a more difficult time.

It is not difficult to find yourself in a position where you're at a boss battle and your build makes it horribly difficult to beat *cough*Moscow*cough*.

I still love that game.

pistols/stealth is pretty much the only viable way to play that game, but that doesn't really take away from what actually makes it good. arguably one of my favorite games of all time?

I respect the man for putting on an amazing video, but if there's no gameplay, I don't buy that it'll make it out of the gate. A shame, I really like that art style.

Though it's moving at a pretty good click for funding, so who knows?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I respect the man for putting on an amazing video, but if there's no gameplay, I don't buy that it'll make it out of the gate. A shame, I really like that art style.

Though it's moving at a pretty good click for funding, so who knows?

It'll easily be funded. Gamers are too much suckers for hype for it not to. They'll say, 'never again' if it doesn't turn out great and then say, 'Well, it had some ideas that could be fixed in a sequel' and the cycle starts a new. The Sonic Cycle is all video games, not just sonic

it's almost half funded in about 2 hours of being posted. I'd say it's practically a done deal.

at this point I'm almost more interested in seeing what happens with the project than what the final product is (which is 2 years away anyway)

popo

Kickstarter is such a cock tease. I mean games take a while and kickstarter is the very start of development but I don't really want to pre-order 2 years in advance thx.

Especially with something like this where it is backed the first day - a prediction but a safe one.

New set in a few months!

Both Spot and Bomb are moving downstairs!

Great. Expect a 6 month content holiday.

Where is that scoop from anyway Keyser?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Kickstarter is such a cock tease. I mean games take a while and kickstarter is the very start of development but I don't really want to pre-order 2 years in advance thx.

Especially with something like this where it is backed the first day - a prediction but a safe one.
I waited three years for Broken Age and I backed one more Kickstarter a little later and that isn't anywhere near being finished. That's what turns me off the whole idea, really.

I may help the little guy a bit and give some money to an interesting struggling Kickstarter, but I don't see much point in backing the ones that will succeed either way.

Except Star Citizen, because damn that thing was (is) crazy. $82M!

Myggen

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

So much for content this year.

GBEast, you're our only hope!

If the office space is ready to go when they move, it shouldn't take that long to just move the equipment. What has taken so long for East is setting up something entirely new and getting the equipment, which West will hopefully not have to do. Moving into CBSi didn't take that long IIRC.

popo

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

So much for content this year.

GBEast, you're our only hope!

I mean the sensible way for CBS to do it (lol) would be to build the new space before moving out of the old one.

If it were just GB moving then I would predict a mess but I can't see them wanting any heavy down time for their darling Gamespot.

Although I remember Jeff saying their current space was "only temporary" 3 years ago - which sounds about right for the speed business seems to get done.

If the office space is ready to go when they move, it shouldn't take that long to just move the equipment. What has taken so long East is setting up something entirely new, which West will hopefully not have to do. Moving into CBSi didn't take that long IIRC.

Beat me by seconds. Plus GBE is the ginger step child so I imagine they had to fight for their work to get done. For once GB and GS being lumped together might expedite the process.

I may help the little guy a bit and give some money to an interesting struggling Kickstarter, but I don't see much point in backing the ones that will succeed either way.

Except Star Citizen, because damn that thing was (is) crazy. $82M!

That is a weird one. People who see that a project has been funded many times over their goal and say ... I want in on that too. If past experience is anything to go by, too much money is as bad as too little.

With not-castlevania it is $25 for the game - so not even a discount on what is likely to be a $15 download.

Myggen

I mean the sensible way for CBS to do it (lol) would be to build the new space before moving out of the old one.

If it were just GB moving then I would predict a mess but I can't see them wanting any heavy down time for their darling Gamespot.

Although I remember Jeff saying their current space was "only temporary" 3 years ago - which sounds about right for the speed business seems to get done.

It would be insane to not have the office space ready, especially when GS is moving too. It would make no economic sense to move them before the actual office is ready, especially when they've probably known this was gonna happen for a long time.

Patryn

It would be insane to not have the office space ready, especially when GS is moving too. It would make no economic sense to move them before the actual office is ready, especially when they've probably known this was gonna happen for a long time.

Quoting this so we have something to remember when we're on month 2 of them using the move as justification for light content weeks.

This will lead to the merger!

I could totally see them having the editorial bullpens of both sites sitting together.

Myggen

Quoting this so we have something to remember when we're on month 2 of them using the move as justification for light content weeks.

As long as the actual office space is ready, I'm confident in that quote. If it isn't all best are off.

But if the move is a few month away we should probably save the worrying for at least a week.

I want to believe this.

When Keiji Inafune launched the Mighty Number 9 Kickstarter, I thought my dreams of a new (albeit spiritual successor to) Mega Man Legends would finally come to pass. Since then, however, I realized I really just want an HD Mega Man Legends collection. I don't know what that says about me, but I think I might be part of the problem.

Zaph

All jokes aside, it sounds like GB is doing great, numbers and subs are up, budget actually exists etc etc. Barring any catastrophe that diverts his attention from the site, I don't think Jeff will let CBSi drag this out. Especially considering the NY office setup got so bad even they turned it into a running joke.

Myggen

All jokes aside, it sounds like GB is doing great, numbers and subs are up, budget actually exists etc etc. Barring any catastrophe that diverts his attention from the site, I don't think Jeff will let CBSi drag this out. Especially considering the NY office setup got so bad even they turned it into a running joke.

The merger is happening, Zaph. Get with the program!

edit: Seems like even Dan is sick of Twitter.

Yeah there's no way that they wouldn't have the floor ready for GS. So hopefully GB would also be well prepared by extension.

They've also toyed with the idea of gutting their existing setup to make everything cleaner. At least this will give them an opportunity to have a fresh start; especially with Jason there now too they can build something themselves. Well maybe not good with Jason's aversion to the over/under cabling method. I see them replacing cables on a weekly basis.

Quentyn

Yea, that's good to see. I am wondering if they are plan on doing more travelling in the future. Although I would understand if they won't. From the content perspective there is really no good reason to go to Gamescom or TGS. 70%-80% of the games that will be there will also be at E3.

I would like to see one last Tokyo trip. Not because of TGS, but because of the all other craziness that would happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom