• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
As long as the actual office space is ready, I'm confident in that quote. If it isn't all best are off.

But if the move is a few month away we should probably save the worrying for at least a week.

The office space is not the problem here... They only need a desk to put their laptop on and they are good to go.

The problem is the set, quicklook room and control room.Those things take forever to setup and they obviously can't buy everything twice just so that they can setup the new rooms while still using the old ones. They will need to go dark for a while to takedown the old place and setup the new one.

Myggen

The office space is not the problem here... They only need a desk to put their laptop on and they are good to go.

The problem is the set, quicklook room and control room.Those things take forever to setup and they obviously can't buy everything twice just so that they can setup the new rooms while still using the old ones. They will need to go dark for a while to takedown the old place and setup the new one.

When I say office space I mean everything: set, QL room etc. I get that setting up that equipment on another floor isn't an easy process, but as long as they are able to begin doing that job immediately after they move and not have to wait for the office space itself to be finished, it shouldn't take that long to get things up and running. Will still take weeks obviously.

Myggen

Yea, that's good to see. I am wondering if they are plan on doing more travelling in the future. Although I would understand if they won't. From the content perspective there is really no good reason to go to Gamescom or TGS. 70%-80% of the games that will be there will also be at E3.

I would like to see one last Tokyo trip. Not because of TGS, but because of the all other craziness that would happen.

Also, from pictures Gamescom looks like hell on earth. Holy shit there's way too many people at that thing.

Anjin M

There is so much going on! I need to catch up.

• Giant Bomb moving to new office space sounds awesome. I'm so used to the duders moving from time to time, I was afraid they would get too comfortable in their current setup. Since they do have to move equipment and rebuild the set, I suspect that there will be a delay similar to the moves between Whiskey offices or the move to CBSi.
  • I used to follow E3 back when that seemed like something to get excited about. Nowadays, I'm pretty much just watching Giant Bomb and what they with E3.
  • At the rate Giant Bomb is going, I doubt they will write even 25 reviews this year. If anyone wants to take up the bet, I would stake my avatar on it.

I'm glad this has already been made a thing.

a0QZwpP.gif

Patryn

What is the current timeline for offices at this point?

2008-2010 - The Basement
2010-2012 - The Whiskey Offices
2012-2015 - First CBSi office

Is that correct?

Mully

If they move down to a basement office again I want to see a weekly feature of the crew setting off bug bombs.

Also, what comes first: new hire or new office?

Myggen

If they move down to a basement office again I want to see a weekly feature of the crew setting off bug bombs.

Weekly feature of them trying to get back to their old office, but being thrown out each time. Ends with them moving the site to Jeff's house.

Perfect. I love internet ephemera.

:(

GBGAF has the scoop, now no one will even be able to confirm it! (I don't know how Periscope works)

I wonder how much giant bomb could raise in a kickstarter/patreon if it ever came down to that. Let's hope it continues to be profitable for CBS and never does. I suppose they would get sold before anything else...

Danielle posted she's staying at Idle Thumbs and Polygon even with her move to NYC in the fall. So the people freaking out about her being the hire can calm down.

OR CAN THEY.

Anjin M

I wonder how much giant bomb could raise in a kickstarter/patreon if it ever came down to that. Let's hope it continues to be profitable for CBS and never does. I suppose they would get sold before anything else...

All they have to do (to get me at least) is reset subscriptions for their new site and I would be there day one.

Danielle posted she's staying at Idle Thumbs and Polygon even with her move to NYC in the fall. So the people freaking out about her being the hire can calm down.

OR CAN THEY.

The New Hire Tinfoil Hat Brigade stops for no one!

Virtually no one in this thread was against the notion.

There were one or two who weren't happy about her joining Idle Thumbs, but it's been pretty positive in here.

Living in SF sounds like a fucking nightmare. Holy shit.

And now we have literally no idea who the hire might be D:

Well it could be Danielle's girlfriend Patricia, who currently works at Kotaku and was the one to initially mention New York on Twitter. For some reason everyone didn't consider her and option and immediately jumped to Danielle?

Myggen

I really don't cara who the new hire is at this point

243.gif

Well it could be Danielle's girlfriend Patricia, who currently works at Kotaku and was the one to initially mention New York on Twitter. For some reason everyone didn't consider her and option and immediately jumped to Danielle?

Oh, she was considered. People just wanted Danielle more in the Giant Bomb Hire Fantasy League.

But it seems likely they're moving mostly because of cost of living in SF, going by Danielle's tweets. Patricia going to NYC where the Kotaku HQ is is probably also not a bad deal for her.

243.gif

Oh, she was considered. People just wanted Danielle more in the Giant Bomb Hire Fantasy League.

But it seems likely they're moving mostly because of cost of living in SF, going by Danielle's tweets. Patricia going to NYC where the Kotaku HQ is is probably also not a bad deal for her.

Patricia would be a bad hire. I really don't see GB hosting 'Bloodborne is really menstrual blood' articles.

Myggen

Patricia would be a bad hire. I really don't see GB hosting 'Bloodborne is really menstrual blood' articles.

That theory was actually not that bad!

But yeah, she's always been very much a Kotaku writer, good and bad (she has some good articles too!). But I've never seen her do much video/heard her podcast, so can't really comment on anything outside of the Kotaku articles I've read.

But neither of Danielle or Patricia are the new hires, so onto the next ones.

Is the Hot Pepper Gaming guy a possibility?

I mean, true

but she works for Kotaku/Gawker who are NYC-based already so it seems unlikely

I really don't cara who the new hire is at this point

They should probably just hire me. I recently got an iPad, so I'm totally "with it" and "hip" to the future of video games. I also understand the millennials and could probably whip something up that they'd like either in an ironic or post-ironic fashion.

I still think there is a chance it could be someone working for kotaku or polygon already based in New York, since its technically a news position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom