• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The third person game idea is just fucking stupid. I can see some application in affecting the player's interpretation of what was going on screen like at the very end of that insomiac game, but I would put money down on that being more annoying than innovating.

The third person game idea is just fucking stupid. I can see some application in affecting the player's interpretation of what was going on screen like at the very end of that insomiac game, but I would put money down on that being more annoying than innovating.

There has been plenty of public demos of Lucky's Quest and they have been almost universally glowing regarding the VR integration.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Oh my god this Rift thing is amazing. Is there any crowd? Are they just not mic'd at all? I'm pretty sure I heard somebody say "I was yelling boo-urns" but beyond that the crowd reaction is death.

Uhhh I wouldn't get your hopes up. The kind of games that the PS4 will be able to push at sufficient framerates will be very rudimentary, at least visually.

oh, i don't expect anything that isn't just slightly above ps3 quality from the morpheus given the specs they're working with. They're gonna try to basically use some tech to fake +60 framerates on more intense games is what ive read.

I just trust sony as a developer to make decent looking and decent playing games more than i trust an unknown quantity like Oculus

Lucky is such a likable guy.

CHPMg7lVIAAaYc8.jpg:large

oh, i don't expect anything that isn't just slightly above ps3 quality from the morpheus given the specs they're working with. They're gonna try to basically use some tech to fake +60 framerates on more intense games is what ive read.

I just trust sony as a developer to make decent looking and decent playing games more than i trust an unknown quantity like Oculus

60 hz is insufficient. Frame interpolation adds latency that is not acceptable in VR. It wouldn't work, they have a MASSIVE technical hurdle that Oculus doesn't have.

I am very, very skeptical of Morpheus for these reasons.

I'm not able to watch this at the immediate moment, but the Gaming thread seemed to suggest motion controls for this thing?

It's going to be disorienting enough to not be able to see the controller in my hand, and they want to do motion controls!?

60 hz is insufficient. Frame interpolation adds latency that is not acceptable in VR. It wouldn't work, they have a MASSIVE technical hurdle that Oculus doesn't have.

I am very, very skeptical of Morpheus for these reasons.

I guess we'll find out next week then. I imagine if they're going for 90-120 fps that the games are going to be PS3 quality at their best, which truthfully is alright with me.

What i really want to know is if sony will allow for morpheus to be used on PC, like how the DS4 works unofficially.

Because i aint gonna have 2 headsets in my home for this nonsense.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm not able to watch this at the immediate moment, but the Gaming thread seemed to suggest motion controls for this thing?

It's going to be disorienting enough to not be able to see the controller in my hand, and they want to do motion controls!?

Motion controls would actually be the most natural way to do it though, because the point is immersion.

Dude, you're missing the entire point. You can see your "hands" in virtual space. This input method reduces disorientation, not increases it

Motion controls would actually be the most natural way to do it though, because the point is immersion.

Dude, you're missing the entire point. You can see your "hands" in virtual space. This input method reduces disorientation, not increases it

Right, I need to stop equating "motion controls" with "wiimote." Still, it's going to have to be 1:1 perfect all the time to not be aggravating.

It's still going to be super disorienting to have you hands positioned holding something, and your virtual hands doing something else. This is likely an "experience it" thing like Jeff has been talking about.

i hope that the oculus touch supports one handed mode because otherwise I really can't see how hentai games will be viable on this platform.

Real talk though I sorta like the combination of the Touch and Xbone controller for input. Seems like the best of both worlds.

Right, I need to stop equating "motion controls" with "wiimote." Still, it's going to have to be 1:1 perfect all the time to not be aggravating.

It's still going to be super disorienting to have you hands positioned holding something, and your virtual hands doing something else. This is likely an "experience it" thing like Jeff has been talking about.

Think of it like this:

Your hand feels you're holding a "thing". You look at your hand, and you're holding a gun. That's not disorienting, that's immersive. It might be weird if your virtual hands are doing something more complex, but I don't think many devs will have the player doing odd things.

Think of it like this:

Your hand feels you're holding a "thing". You look at your hand, and you're holding a gun. That's not disorienting, that's immersive. It might be weird if your virtual hands are doing something more complex, but I don't think many devs will have the player doing odd things.

That's kinda what I'm worried about. Not every game can have you holding a thing all the time... Well, i guess they can, but then isn't that limiting the market?

That's kinda what I'm worried about. Not every game can have you holding a thing all the time... Well, i guess they can, but then isn't that limiting the market?

Well they don't have to show your hands all the time. Hell, they don't need to use the motion controllers at all. The Oculus comes with an Xbox One controller.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I think setting limitations to something as focused as VR is a good thing. You aren't going to bring every game experience to that platform.

Though they can still use the 360 pad if they want to right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom