• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just going to quote myself from the Gaf thread.

FearlessJoyfulAnt.gif

Press O to Poop is this year's paying respects.

danm999

I think Dan was being generous when he said he'd have thought that was cool at 15.

But geez to make something like that and have such a glass jaw...

hamchan

I think I'll be able to tell Austin and Jeff B apart the more I hear them. I remember having trouble differentiating Dan and Jason but now I can easily tell apart their different levels of raspiness.

Xater

I think I'll be able to tell Austin and Jeff B apart the more I hear them. I remember having trouble differentiating Dan and Jason but now I can easily tell apart their different levels of raspiness.

To me that is impossible to understand. They sound nothing alike to me.

popo

no, I get them mixed up all of the time too. Austin has a really small lisp which helps to pick him out but you don't really hear it unless he goes off for a length of time.

Not sure about a lisp but his voice is more nasal. Also he (Austin) talks pretty fast and Jeff Balaklava talks louder and slower. If they were in a buddy junky movie then JEff would be the stoner and Austin would be doing lines of coke off of a DVD case.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I think it would be solved if there was more live content from the beast side and I could really learn the group.

On the GOG note, I'm mad at myself for how many games I'm buying when I have an impossible backlog. I got Luftrausers and Paranautical Activity because they were so cheap, and now Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae is two dollars and Valdis Story is four. I really like Galaxy's set up even if it's just in Beta-- having the thing that says "never been played' motivates me to try it at least once.

I still don't know the names of most of my coworkers...

Well Lufratusers at least shouldn't take long to "finish". Unless you want to keep replaying to get highscores, you can get through the majority of it in a couple of hours.

Myggen

I'm not surprised by those kill screens. Jaffe seems to be going for a very 90s, early 00s "this is what teens thought were edgy" feel with that game. I'm sure the bad writing is at least somewhat intentional.

I won't touch that game because it does nothing for me, but I can kinda see what he's going for.

I'm not surprised by those kill screens. Jaffe seems to be going for a very 90s, early 00s "this is what teens thought were edgy" feel with that game. I'm sure the bad writing is at least somewhat intentional.

I won't touch that game because it does nothing for me, but I can kinda see what he's going for.

well the terrible writing in Hatred is intentional, too.

Doesn't make it any less awful.

The sad thing about this game is that in a post-hatred world people are going to keep comparing it to that game, especially with shit like BUTT-FUCK YOU ANYWAY.

I mean if you want to see stupid writing that's enjoyable there are the last two saints rown games i suppose.

Myggen

well the terrible writing in Hatred is intentional, too.

Doesn't make it any less awful.

The sad thing about this game is that in a post-hatred world people are going to keep comparing it to that game, especially with shit like BUTT-FUCK YOU ANYWAY.

I mean if you want to see stupid writing that's enjoyable there are the last two saints rown games i suppose.

Yeah, I didn't mean to say that the writing looks good or anything. The "buttfuck" thing is especially cringe worthy.

I think the jury is still out on whether the writing in Hatred is intentionally bad. From what they've said the game's main goal has always been FUCK POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, so it seems strange to then go and make a game with intentionally bad dialogue. More likely it's some Polish(?) devs who's trying to write something edgy, but it ends up sounding corny as shit because their English leaves a lot to be desired.

This duck game on the other hand looks really cool, and the QL is pretty great.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Were the terrible writing,dumb characters, and general aesthetic in God of War and Twisted Metal also "intentional"? How many games does David Jaffe have to make before people accept this is just David Jaffe?

Were the terrible writing and dumb characters in God of War and Twisted Metal also "intentional"? How many games does David Jaffe have to make before people accept this is just David Jaffe?

well, it's the combo of teenage level writing combined with a self serious tone. God of War is actually a well told tale whereas who cares what excuse you need to have cars blow each other up?

the difference is that the writing in those games isn't trying to shock you or get a reaction out of you like this terrible shit is. They aren't bulletpoints in the grand scheme of either game like they are for Drawn to Death.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
well, it's the combo of teenage level writing combine with a self serious tone. God of War is actually a well told tale whereas who cares what excuse you need to have cars blow each other up?

the difference is that the writing in those games isn't trying to shock you or get a reaction out of you like this terrible shit is.

I'd have to disagree on all fronts. This looks like exactly the sort of thing that I'd expect the person behind God of War to think is cool.

The core gameplay in God of War is good, everything else about it has always been juvenile bullshit.

The first game at least made Kratos a sympathetic character. You want to see what his story is, why he is so angry, what set off the current chain of events (no pun intended). It's a story about loss and coping terribly with it. It's actually Jaffe's most mature work, which i suppose you can take that whatever way you please.

By God of War 3, Kratos basically breaks bad and becomes the villain and annoyingly so. He's just angry to the point of being a fucking idiot and all sympathy for his character is tossed out the window in favor of a 6-8 hour greek god snuff film where you want to punch him through the TV screen.

popo

I wonder if more outlets call it out as juvenile and looking like shit - Jaffe will go off on them as well. GB trend setters once again.

I can't listen to these live drives any more. It's just shitty music being played and jeff occasionally saying something interesting.

Totally on board for more call in days though.

Xater

I get what he is going for as well, but it just comes off as awkward and not good. I will probably still play it because I expect it to be a fun MP time just like Twisted metal was. I like some of his design sensibilities in that regard.

Brashnir

I get what he is going for as well, but it just comes off as awkward and not good. I will probably still play it because I expect it to be a fun MP time just like Twisted metal was. I like some of his design sensibilities in that regard.

Yeah, I don't see who it's trying to appeal to. The people who would have found it appealing when they were 14 in 1990 aren't 14 anymore, and it's not 1990 anymore. It's a game designed around a demographic that can't possibly exist anymore, except in the case of a few people who never grew out of it.

I really like how pretty much everything on the Beastcast is a conversation. Everyone jumps in on it and it becomes a conversation. Not saying anything against the Bombcast, it just makes it really noticeable and fun to listen to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom