• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
"I don't know what the juice situation is" is kind of an unfortunate sequence of words to say out loud.

Was that not what he was wrong about?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
It is unfortunate how Capcom has treated Mega Man but...to be honest, there are plenty of Mega Man games.

There are *too many* Mega Man games.

Sure, but I didn't have an original Playstation and don't play handhelds.

So really, there have only been like two Mega Man games in the past 20 years.

Oh dear......Do I like anime?

Ask yourself if this thing would appear in any medium outside of anime:

rBn4Xyv.gif

Hello friends, let me talk to you about a little podcast called FRIENDS AT THE TABLE. It's a tabletop RPG podcast ("Actual Play") run by Giant Bomb's own, Austin Walker. I just finished listening to all 51-ish hours of the first season, and man, I can not recommend it enough.

The premise is that Austin DM's a post-post apocalypse story in a fantasy setting. The world has been through a great cataclysm, but have also rebuilt somewhat. He leads 5 players through a highly improvised story, shaping the world as they explore it and learn about their own characters.

The world is incredibly cool, the system they're using is simple but incredibly flexible, and every player and their character is fascinating. After the first season ended, I felt empty because I wanted to see what happened next. Austin is amazing as a DM, he excels at both improvisation and meticulous preparation. The stories he and his players tell are all of the following: incredibly engaging, surprisingly thrilling, and often deeply sad. I almost cried like four times during this podcast.

There are some production issues especially early on, as people in the campaign figure out their audio issues, syncing audio, trying not to clip and to make everyone equally hearable, but even through those hiccups it's super fun, engaging and interesting. I listened to those 51 hours in maybe a week. The players are funny but also super thoughtful, the music (made by one of the players) is PERFECT, and I genuinely like everyone involved in the podcast.

You can hear hints throughout that imply these guys were fans of Giant Bomb, I distinctly remember Austin saying "what a season, what a season" at one point, in the exact cadence of that great GB moment. There are a couple other moments like that sprinkled throughout.

The short version is, this podcast is great, and it's highs are among the best highs of any role playing campaign I've ever seen or been a part of. I really really think that, if the logistics of it could be worked out, GiantBomb should host this thing, like they do with 8-4. It's something really special.

Myggen

This is very true.

I don't know how much gas he's got left in the tank, though... dude's 44 years old now!

He just needs another great collab project. Someone get Dan the Automator on the phone? Or at least Dan the Automator from 10-ish years ago I think would've been a good fit. Madvillany 2 is obviously never happening.

Anyways, do we have a time for The Big Drive tomorrow?

He's not capable of that anymore.

I will always believe.

He just needs another great collab project. Someone get Dan the Automator on the phone? Or at least Dan the Automator from 5-ish years ago I think would've been a good fit. Madvillany 2 is obviously never happening.

Dan the Automator from 15 years ago would've been even better. Gorillaz, Deltron 3030, and a Doom album would've been incredible.

Yeah, planning to check it out after the E3 shenanigans.

Nice: Minor warning though, the very first episode is mostly just them theorizing about the world and coming up with the conception of the characters, which was interesting to me, but I could see it being a bit of a chore to get through for some. Their first brief adventure is everyone getting their bearings with the system, but when that concludes there is a very distinct shake-up that solves some things.

The style of this thing is very open, a lot of "Hey ____, what is your character thinking right now?" and sort of a free-flowing thing.

Myggen

Dan the Automator from 15 years ago would've been even better. Gorillaz, Deltron 3030, and a Doom album would've been incredible.

Yeah, I changed it to 10 years after thinking about it. 15 years works too. The dude is 48 years old now! Everyone is getting old!

Nice: Minor warning though, the very first episode is mostly just them theorizing about the world and coming up with the conception of the characters, which was interesting to me, but I could see it being a bit of a chore to get through for some. Their first brief adventure is everyone getting their bearings with the system, but when that concludes there is a very distinct shake-up that solves some things.

The style of this thing is very open, a lot of "Hey ____, what is your character thinking right now?" and sort of a free-flowing thing.

Making characters and all that is very much part of the game, and I enjoy it as a way to get more context for the actual campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom