• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

demidar

Anyone else have some major issues with Giant Bomb's stream today? I know there were initially some problems, but everyone seemed okay after the actual show started. I was having problems getting in there halfway through.

The on-site player didn't even work for me. Had to resort to the YouTube mirror.

danm999

I know somebody said it at the Press Conference, but it's really striking me how fucking much Bethesda has been trying to be Blizzard the past few years.

Chasing WoW down the rabbit hole of subscription based open world MMORPGs with ESO.

The online team based MP game with microtransactions.

The CCG themed on their most popular franchise.

The Bethesda.net thing that looks like it'll be a like-Battlenet client.

I didn't know that liking ESO is pre-requisite to liking videogames.

Where do I hand in my liking videogames card?

Do you perchance have a chainsaw you could destroy it with in a totally sick melee animation you'll probably get tired of quickly?

I know somebody said it at the Press Conference, but it's really striking me how fucking much Bethesda has been trying to be Blizzard the past few years.

Chasing WoW down the rabbit hole of subscription based open world MMORPGs with ESO.

Well I mean

Blizzard has connected product. That seems to be what Bethesda wants. When you have multiple games that unlock things within their product range(IE Card backs from WoW purchases, mounts through playing hearthstone, heroes of the storm having a pet for WoW and mount for HotS), you create an insane attachment value to that brand.

Tan

Todd Howard even mentioned Blizzard during the conference. Weird.

danm999

Well I mean

Blizzard has connected product. That seems to be what Bethesda wants. When you have multiple games that unlock things within their product range(IE Card backs from WoW purchases, mounts through playing hearthstone, heroes of the storm having a pet for WoW and mount for HotS), you create an insane attachment value to that brand.

Yeah you could definitely do worse when you look at companies you're trying to emulate, but I'm just not sure a lot of this stuff will land and Fallout and the mainline Elder Scrolls will be made to pick up the slack.

Oh well, I liked most of what I saw towards the end of the Conference today.

LiK

I'm struggling to figure out why I should give a fuck about another Fallout game. but OK.

It's more like an F- to this point.

Edit - ESO? Christ, it managed to somehow get worse.

lol, everything turns around during Todd Howard's presentation. damn fine speaker.

Anjin M

Before I get to replies, I want to thank everyone for being cool here in community. I don't know what's up with the gaming side GB-E3 thread, but it's a real disaster. Ugh. I think I'm sticking to our home for the week.

So we're all playing as Face number 7 AKA Drew Scanlon right?

I'll probably play as myself, at least if they have Theodore in the name soundbanks.

Since I'll be playing as a lady, I don't have to make these hard choices. Virtual Drew is pretty tempting, though.

iFkVfvm.png

Most of Jeff's cynicism is just for laughs.

I really hate the cynical Jeff meme. That dude loves games in a way many of us don't and he catches crap because he doesn't love the right ones. Ugh.

Anyone else have some major issues with Giant Bomb's stream today? I know there were initially some problems, but everyone seemed okay after the actual show started. I was having problems getting in there halfway through.

I watched the stream via the site on my kindle. Other than a couple of hitches that obviously put me out of sync from the main feed, it ran smoothly for me. I tried the youtube player, but couldn't get it to run fullscreen which is bull on a tablet.

Todd Howard's presentation kicks the conference up from a C- to an A+.

I didn't care much for Fallout 3, but his presentation made me interested in Fallout 4. I didn't think it could happen.

Brashnir

Todd Howard reactions:

-E3 is the best week in entertainment? More like the worst week in advertisement.

-Concept Art. OK? Where's the game?

-Random ass applause for nothing of substance.

-Character creation. this fucking sucks. At least you can make a black dude or a lady. They look like an unflinching hellspawn either way.

-Robots. This is pseudo-cool sci-fi.

-fedora and trench coat. My dad lives in the future.

-This is a bunch of bullshit related to videogames but isn't an actual game yet.

-shit got blowed up I guess. events transpire. some descendant.

-dead landscape, but astonishingly dapper attire.

-This is the good part? fuck off.

There's still an hour left, but this can't possibly get better. This is raw sewage.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wanted to say some parts of the Doom 4 bits were underwhelming.

But I've watched that playthrough about 5 times now so clearly something's working for me.

I really hate the cynical Jeff meme. That dude loves games in a way many of us don't and he catches crap because he doesn't love the right ones. Ugh.
Yep. I think most people don't get the talking over the press conference stuff is for entertainment first and foremost and not for analysis. It's their first blush reactions. The staff is so varied in their personalities and tastes now that the initial reactions almost always gives you a taste of everything.

I really wish collectively 'we' could evolve past "this person not liking what I like makes me angry or dislike them".

I can't imagine watching the press conferences without the GB commentary now. They'd be an absolute slog.

Lunar FC

Good thing too, wouldn't want the chat blowing a gasket over everything he said with that long cooldown and all.

I kind of miss the days when almost every day there was a "Dan doesn't know that?!" moment.

on the contrary. Games are my thing, but not a bunch of bullshit related to games that isn't actually games.
Don't watch it if it bums you out. This was my course of action with watching the daily news and i'm a happier person now.

SamNW

Brashnir said:
on the contrary. Games are my thing, but not a bunch of bullshit related to games that isn't actually games.

Look, I understand not liking the concept art montage, or the ES card game, or the amount of time spent talking about Fallout 4's collector's edition, but they *did* show three major games. Very little of Dishonored 2 was shown, but there was a lot of Doom 4 and Fallout 4 shown and discussed. You can say you don't care for any of those games. Great, that's an opinion. Move on unless you're interested in elaborating. But to say that nothing related to games was shown is laughable. No one is forcing you to watch the in-between parts.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The amount and choice of stuff they showed for Fallout 4 was INCREDIBLY poor to me. Especially considering they had their own conference to do this at.

I thought Todd Howard's presentation was the antithesis of almost every soulless E3 press conference ever and made the entire thing worth watching.

You could tell he was extremely proud of something he worked on for a long time and cared about it deeply. Outside of an indie developer like James Murray or something I don't think you're going to get anyone that genuine the rest of the week. Especially not on that AAA level.

Or maybe I was just that excited for F4.

The discussion during the Fallout 4 Create a character section, Jeff's reaction to another fucking remaster, etc are some of the reasons i really like this approach and i'm glad GB has embraced it as its own some more.

Phatmac

Lol these YouTube comments on the Bethesda conference are brutal. Dunno where these people came from if they expected giant bomb to not be cynical during the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom