• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
People complaining about Jeff was the thing that surprised me. I thought he came off as the most positive by the end of it even if there was shit on there he didn't like. Like of course they're not going to be excited about HDDD Press Sneak Fucks. No one there liked it but Patrick.

But he's crazy for not thinking the Revenants and Mancubus looked awesome. And I liked all the flavor they gave to the in-game Pip Boy.

Jintor

i've really got to get the Giant Bomb Royalty Free Playlist on my phone or something. I know all the words to Lockdown, it turns out.

danm999

So in the last week or so I've been catching up on episodic games in my backlog; starting with the Walking Dead Season 2 and Game of Thrones.

I was pretty meh on both of them, and I was starting to think the whole episodic game thing might be something that goes away, or at least something I wasn't interested in continuing to bother with.

Then I played Kentucky Route Zero, the Fall, Dreamfall Chapters and Life is Strange and its kind of nuts how a bunch of developers almost immediately found more interesting things to do, and more interesting ways to tell stories with the Telltale model than Telltale did.

Really feels like they completely lost their mojo after TWD S1 and the beginnings of the Wolf Among Us.

I get a few of the cynical complaints, they were a bit grumbly or something at times, at least in the first half of the show.
I dunno, it was the first one, there were the setup issues, overall it was grand, I liked the wrap up chat.

That Mario Maker footage though. I will break out the WiiU for that, it seems.
Cara is working on Dishonored 2, almost makes up for her not working at GB.

https://twitter.com/caraellison/status/610353796728942592
Excellent news!

jaina

So in the last week or so I've been catching up on episodic games in my backlog; starting with the Walking Dead Season 2 and Game of Thrones.

I was pretty meh on both of them, and I was starting to think the whole episodic game thing might be something that goes away, or at least something I wasn't interested in continuing to bother with.

Then I played Kentucky Route Zero, the Fall, Dreamfall Chapters and Life is Strange and its kind of nuts how a bunch of developers almost immediately found more interesting things to do, and more interesting ways to tell stories with the Telltale model than Telltale did.

Really feels like they completely lost their mojo after TWD S1 and the beginnings of the Wolf Among Us.

Sounds great, makes me more excited to get around to Dreamfall Chapters and Life is Strange. Did you play Longest Journey/Dreamfall beforehand? I'll probably play them in order.

Telltale seemed to have peaked with TWD season 1, the writing hasn't been as good since then and the games are still really buggy when they really shouldn't be. I'd like to see them focus on a single project because right now I get the impression that they are falling behind the competition.

Will M

Hello BombGaf, I will be sleeping through today's E3 party as it'll be middle of the night in Japan. As such, please use these .GIFs well. I made these a while ago but wanted to make sure they got into circulation at a good time.

e1IQ5cI.gif

arToj73.gif

G3cs9sQ.gif

When I awake tomorrow I expect one of the two things:
- Christmas morning but for video games​
- A smoldering crater in LA where the incident took place... Last Guardian.​

both will not happen

Hello BombGaf, I will be sleeping through today's E3 party as it'll be middle of the night in Japan. As such, please use these .GIFs well. I made these a while ago but wanted to make sure they got into circulation at a good time.

When I awake tomorrow I expect one of the two things:
- Christmas morning but for video games​
- A smoldering crater in LA where the incident took place... Last Guardian.​

both will not happen

luckily you got 13 hours until Sony happens :)

danm999

Sounds great, makes me more excited to get around to Dreamfall Chapters and Life is Strange. Did you play Longest Journey/Dreamfall beforehand? I'll probably play them in order.

Yeah, years ago. I'd forgotten a lot of the stuff from them but the game guides you in pretty ok for the most part. Reading a primer on the Stark/Arcadia stuff might be a good idea though.

Telltale seemed to have peaked with TWD season 1, the writing hasn't been as good since then and the games are still really buggy when they really shouldn't be. I'd like to see them focus on a single project because right now I get the impression that they are falling behind the competition.

Actually that's a good point too; I haven't had any issues with bugs in KRZ, the Fall, Life is Strange or Dreamfall.

Maybe that's not a universal thing with those games for others, but these shorter, narrative focused episode stuff really should be flawless from a technical perspective, shouldn't it? It's not like the Witcher 3 where you can shrug and excuse some of the jank because of the scope of the game.

Actually that's a good point too; I haven't had any issues with bugs in KRZ, the Fall, Life is Strange or Dreamfall.

Maybe that's not a universal thing with those games for others, but these shorter, narrative focused episode stuff really should be flawless from a technical perspective, shouldn't it? It's not like the Witcher 3 where you can shrug and excuse some of the jank because of the scope of the game.
I assume they have the money and the staff to fix that stuff but they're too focused on cranking out multiple projects to be able to fix the problems with that engine.

Zaph

Given how this is now obviously the E3 of reigniting long-dead projects, over/under on Jeff announce a date for The Raid?

Someone posted a Doom 3/Doom 2015 trailer comparison thread and I didn't get a chance to post this gem:

I remember when Doom 3 and Half Life 2 were being compared side by side at the time, I felt Doom 3 was graphically more impressive but, now, looking back, I feel Half Life 2's visually aged better. I'm not even sure how to explain that. I guess whatever impressed me about Doom 3's visuals at the time has worn off as other games have been released and Half Life 2, while still has obviously aged a lot graphically, I find is still visually interesting.

It had to get out there.

Fox318

Doom 3 killed id as a game maker.

If they wanted to make Doom 3 they should have called it something else.

It's not a doom game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Ha, no. I know it's not controversial. I just typed it all out and wasn't able to post it.

Sorry, I was just joking around. It's the benefit of this being a community thread I guess.

Nah, it's fine, it's just that the way you constructed it made it seem like it came from an article or something :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom