• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jothel

Hot! Around 30Celsius average I would said. We get a couple of 35-40 days every year but I would say they are more around august.

Edit: Squishy Boobs!

Fair enough, I'm living in Japan so I'm used to that kinda weather.

Goddamn it Kojima. I really wanna know what bullshit reason he has for Quiet looking like that, to the point where we will regret our words and deeds... So silly

Zebetite

Banned
Jeeze, is that pretty standard for Canada? They're currently adding about 75$ a month in interest on my loan, which fuck that...

Also... My wife and I are thinking of places for a honeymoon/general holiday and Canada is one of the places we're considering, heard good things about Vancouver, what say you?

Since it sounds like you're looking at Canadian cities,

Vancouver's pretty small as a city, but is also our prettiest. Aside from the drug trade, it's a pretty straight-laced white-collar kinda place, kinda boring. Typical upper-class West Coast vibes. Only a hop, skip, and a jump from the US border if you wanted to check out both countries.

Montreal's much larger, and probably our least-boring city, culturally-speaking. It's (probably) the only noteworthy place in Quebec where you can get by without knowing French (varies from district to district). If you're going later in the year, they have much harsher winters than most of the alternatives, though. Also a bit of a party city-- whether or not that appeals to you might change your opinion.

Toronto's our largest city. It's a bit less straight-laced than Vancouver, but in exchange is a lot more blue-collar boring. Can be pretty ugly, depending on where you are-- a lot of industrial areas and suburban sprawl in the surrounding region. It has some stuff going for it as far as tourist attractions are concerned, though. It has the CN Tower, it's right on top of one of the Great Lakes, and is a reasonably-short bus ride (~3 hours) from Niagara Falls (which, as a common tourist locale, has a ton of available accommodation basically year-round). Lots of random events like TIFF and NXNE means there's often something going on while you're here.

Ottawa skews English, but has a bit of French in it. It's the nation's capitol, but is only our fourth-largest city. It's within driving distance of Montreal (~2 hours) and to a lesser extent, Toronto (~5 hours). The population isn't very dense and that gives it kind of a small-town vibe compared to its two neighboring behemoths, aside from all the fixings of a federal government. Loads of museums and stuff, too, as you might expect of a nation's capitol.

I barely know anything about Calgary. They have an annual Calgary Stampede, which is a big ol' rodeo. They typically seem to be into rodeos and country music so that's why I barely know anything about Calgary.

I know a lot more about Toronto than I do the others, considering I've lived in and around the city all my life, so if you've got questions about it feel free to ask. As far as my recommendation for Canadian cities to check out as a tourist: Vancouver if you want to be in a place that's real pretty, Montreal if you want to be where all the hip artsy types are at (or the partiers, or the french people), Ottawa if you're historically-inclined, and Toronto if you just wanna go big and check out a big dumb tower and a big dumb waterfall.

popo

Fair enough, I'm living in Japan so I'm used to that kinda weather.

Goddamn it Kojima. I really wanna know what bullshit reason he has for Quiet looking like that, to the point where we will regret our words and deeds... So silly

I like the Plant Lady theory someone came up with. She has to be nearly nekkid to photosynthesize. It will make so much sense and we will all be ashamed that we all thought he just came up with a bullshit backstory because he always liked to have female characters to perv over in his games.

I think it's a dumb design but I'm not really sure why she's making some people so angry. Danny was complaining about it earlier. I've seen people say stuff like "I'm going to have a hard time taking your game seriously" like that was ever a possibility with a modern-day MGS game to begin with.

It's more skin, but arguably less gross in practice than the Beauties were if I'm being honest.

I'm not going to tell someone they're wrong for being offended by something, I'm just confused that this is where the line for taste in a Kojima game is being drawn.

I don't see what's wrong with the figure, it's way more tame than the usual shit you see. I mean yes, the character design is ridiculous. But come on, it's a Metal Gear game.

"Once you recognize the secret reason for her exposure, you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds." - Master Troll Hideo Kojima

to throw my hat into the student loan discussion

50k. english degree.

my life is over

lol at least I went to one of the cheapest schools in the state to get my stupid useless degree, cost me about 25.

on a completely different note, thank you Giant Bomb for showing me Box Boy, this game is fun.

Thanks for the iOS suggestions. I've heard good things about both games. I've tried out some other stuff, and it's typically ended in disappointment. The biggest one was "holy shit, it's Ghost Trick!" and then the game crashes as soon as you get to actual gameplay. Other events in this parade of miseries: the character sprites in FF5 and FF6 literally caused me to scream "why" when I saw them, Rayman Jungle Run won't let me download the 30 free levels and then deleted all of my progress, all of the Dragon Quest games have to be played in vertical orientation, DQ8 has no voice acting, and what seems to be considered the best original RPG on the system is based on a cartoon I've never heard of that's apparently super popular on tumblr.

iOS gaming is scary and I have no idea what's going on. Is this how regular people perceive console gaming?

If Mary wants me to tweet at someone just so that she can squish some plastic boobs, who am I to stand in her way?

I'm finding it very difficult to be upset at a doll's breasts being soft.

Jintor

the worst part is i'm only going to find out whether my degree(s) is (are) worth anything when i re-enter the real world next year

oh well earn money in the meantime i guess

Jothel

Since it sounds like you're looking at Canadian cities,

Vancouver's pretty small as a city, but is also our prettiest. Aside from the drug trade, it's a pretty straight-laced white-collar kinda place, kinda boring. Typical upper-class West Coast vibes. Only a hop, skip, and a jump from the US border if you wanted to check out both countries.

Montreal's much larger, and probably our least-boring city, culturally-speaking. It's (probably) the only noteworthy place in Quebec where you can get by without knowing French (varies from district to district). If you're going later in the year, they have much harsher winters than most of the alternatives, though. Also a bit of a party city-- whether or not that appeals to you might change your opinion.

Toronto's our largest city. It's a bit less straight-laced than Vancouver, but in exchange is a lot more blue-collar boring. Can be pretty ugly, depending on where you are-- a lot of industrial areas and suburban sprawl in the surrounding region. It has some stuff going for it as far as tourist attractions are concerned, though. It has the CN Tower, it's right on top of one of the Great Lakes, and is a reasonably-short bus ride (~3 hours) from Niagara Falls (which, as a common tourist locale, has a ton of available accommodation basically year-round). Lots of random events like TIFF and NXNE means there's often something going on while you're here.

Ottawa skews English, but has a bit of French in it. It's the nation's capitol, but is only our fourth-largest city. It's within driving distance of Montreal (~2 hours) and to a lesser extent, Toronto (~5 hours). The population isn't very dense and that gives it kind of a small-town vibe compared to its two neighboring behemoths, aside from all the fixings of a federal government. Loads of museums and stuff, too, as you might expect of a nation's capitol.

I barely know anything about Calgary. They have an annual Calgary Stampede, which is a big ol' rodeo. They typically seem to be into rodeos and country music so that's why I barely know anything about Calgary.

I know a lot more about Toronto than I do the others, considering I've lived in and around the city all my life, so if you've got questions about it feel free to ask. As far as my recommendation for Canadian cities to check out as a tourist: Vancouver if you want to be in a place that's real pretty, Montreal if you want to be where all the hip artsy types are at (or the partiers, or the french people), Ottawa if you're historically-inclined, and Toronto if you just wanna go big and check out a big dumb tower and a big dumb waterfall.
Awesome response, will show the wife later on, thanks very much!

I like the Plant Lady theory someone came up with. She has to be nearly nekkid to photosynthesize. It will make so much sense and we will all be ashamed that we all thought he just came up with a bullshit backstory because he always liked to have female characters to perv over in his games.
I for one, will be incredibly ashamed of myself once the truth is revealed.

Zebetite

Banned
lol at least I went to one of the cheapest schools in the state to get my stupid useless degree, cost me about 25.

on a completely different note, thank you Giant Bomb for showing me Box Boy, this game is fun.

to be fair, my degree itself only cost in the neighborhood of ~28k if you were to do it in four years. i flunked out of a couple classes and needed to take a fifth year (and wasted some money in the process) so probably in the low 30s. the rest was just living in toronto for five years, which sure adds up. i worked part-time (pulling around 10k a year) to supplement that, but it ended up kinda fucking me over because our provincial student loan system is fuckin' BUSTED

for whatever reason, OSAP (Ontario Student 'Assistance' Program) arbitrarily decides that for the four years after you've finished high school, your parents are obviously bankrolling your education and will give you a reduced amount of money depending on their income (guess whose parents wasn't giving him any money). so the first year, i wasn't working and they gave me enough money to get by on residence. the second year, i started working, and they gave me ~$1.5k a year because they thought i was making money from work AND my parents. so i had to open a student line of credit at my bank to make tuition, because i was barely making enough money to live and eat in toronto. so i had that rolling for the next three years, and then in my fifth year, since it'd been four years since HS graduation, the fuckers at OSAP went back to giving me 12k a year because obviously now my parents had stopped giving me money

so i actually have 50k in debt split between one 20k loan and one 30k loan and i need to repay both at the same time because fuck you very much OSAP

Awesome response, will show the wife later on, thanks very much!

To throw my own hat in, Prince Edward Island as a whole is a very tourist friendly destination and one you should know about if you've even got a passing familiarity with Anne of Green Gables. Problem is that it's not on any kind of direct flight (you'll likely hit Quebec and fly out of there), and it might be a bit expensive. However, it's beautiful countryside and seaside views pretty much anywhere you go, and the seafood is magnificent.

If you want an even more nature-y visit, Nova Scotia is the place to go. Acadia National park is breathtaking in many places.

Toronto is also a solid spot for someone looking to visit and have plenty of things to do, and as Zeb mentioned, it's not far from Niagra which is a really great stop. Plus you could hop over into NY for a spell, though there isn't a whole lot going on in that corner other than the parks. You could make a bigger trip of it and travel over to the Adirondack mountains, but I don't know what your budget or timeframe will be.

Just for clarity's sake, I'm from central NY but I've got family spaced out in various places in Canada.

Same boat money-wise! I'm gonna be pretty fucked when I graduate, right?

see, you'd think so, but it seems like people are generally pretty happy that you have ANY degree, unless you're going into a highly specialized field.

e: oh, you mean being in the hole for money

yeah probably

Zebetite

Banned
e: oh, you mean being in the hole for money

yeah probably

Woof, student loan talk is depressing as fuck.

it's just disheartening to know that with the money i owe for school i could walk into a car dealership and buy a car, cash, straight-up, that would probably be more useful in the long run than my degree (partially my fault for choosing a useless degree, partially my high school teachers' fault for insisting that i go to university if i get the chance no matter what i choose for a degree)

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I only have seen Game Center from when Kotaku was re-airing them. Always meant to go and watch more

Thats how i got introduced to it. They wernt great versions but the led me to finding the actual episodes with subs. Its a pretty great show.

Fox318

I hope Brad or Jeff are reviewing Witcher 3. They need somebody on the podcast to be able to talk about it and during the 2011 GOTY the game got 0 discussion time because nobody gave it the time or even a shot.

Thats how i got introduced to it. They wernt great versions but the led me to finding the actual episodes with subs. Its a pretty great show.

the DVDs are better because you can watch them with full subs instead of dubs, and also because the DVD set contains the entire Mighty Bomb Jack saga, which is hands down the best the show has ever been. it's a great package, even though it's a little pricey. it's also got Ninja Gaiden which is up there for all-time greats too.

and then you can download the missing segments from sa-gccx and you've got the best of both worlds.

danm999

I hope Brad or Jeff are reviewing Witcher 3. They need somebody on the podcast to be able to talk about it and during the 2011 GOTY the game got 0 discussion time because nobody gave it the time or even a shot.

I cannot see either of those guys sinking 100ish hours into an RPG like that.

There's no way Jeff would be able to give Witcher 3 the time it will invariably ask of players. I look forward to their discussion of the game, but I don't think I would get any value out of a review from Giant Bomb.

Anjin M

Since no one took me up on my avatar bet before, I assume that most people here agree that Giant Bomb doesn't really emphasize reviews any more.

Either that or people didn't read my post. :(

I'm finding it very difficult to be upset at a doll's breasts being soft.
Yeah, I couldn't care less about the doll so much as what it represents: Kojima's creative bankruptcy.

But as I was referring to before, if Mary wants one for an unboxing video, I want her to have one.

Teddified

Ugh I still need to start and finish Witcher 2 before I can even think about 3. I played a bit awhile ago and stopped for some reason even though I liked it. Now I'm in the middle of some other games and I've been too sick to finish said games. It just sucks wanting to play stuff but being too sick to really enjoy it so I just choose not to play anything and watch Giant Bomb....>.>

Fox318

I cannot see either of those guys sinking 100ish hours into an RPG like that.

Its a major AAA game and its being released during a time where nothing else is out.

Unless they suddenly decide to start giving every steam game a shot they should cover it.

Look at destiny. Most of the people on staff fucking hated the game or were disappointed by it and stuck with it for way longer than most games.

I don't care if they come out if it hating or liking the game but ignoring the game or just having Alex do a review and expecting Vinny to talk about it in December is not the way to cover it.

Hell how much longer are they going to do Mortal Kombat X on Unprofessional Fridays?

There's no way Jeff would be able to give Witcher 3 the time it will invariably ask of players. I look forward to their discussion of the game, but I don't think I would get any value out of a review from Giant Bomb.

Then there's Bradley "played 10 hours and stopped" Shoemaker, and Dan I wouldn't trust to review a McChicken let alone the Witcher 3.

danm999

Its a major AAA game and its being released during a time where nothing else is out.

Unless they suddenly decide to start giving every steam game a shot they should cover it.

Oh they'll probably do some coverage, it'll likely have a Quick Look, get talk on the Bombcast, potentially get on UPF, get discussed on GOTY etc, but I doubt they'll review it.

It's a big time investment unless Wolpaw's Law kicks in, and since none of them appear to be looking at it now (you can usually tell because they'll discuss something on the Bombcast they "can't talk about it yet") it probably won't be reviewed on release, if at all.

Then there's Bradley "played 10 hours and stopped" Shoemaker, and Dan I wouldn't trust to review a McChicken let alone the Witcher 3.

My guess is Dan would like it honestly (despite it being fantasy it's pretty tonally close to GoT which he enjoys). Then again he might have played a previous Witcher and hated it so IDK.

Jintor

to be fair, my degree itself only cost in the neighborhood of ~28k if you were to do it in four years. i flunked out of a couple classes and needed to take a fifth year (and wasted some money in the process) so probably in the low 30s. the rest was just living in toronto for five years, which sure adds up. i worked part-time (pulling around 10k a year) to supplement that, but it ended up kinda fucking me over because our provincial student loan system is fuckin' BUSTED

for whatever reason, OSAP (Ontario Student 'Assistance' Program) arbitrarily decides that for the four years after you've finished high school, your parents are obviously bankrolling your education and will give you a reduced amount of money depending on their income (guess whose parents wasn't giving him any money). so the first year, i wasn't working and they gave me enough money to get by on residence. the second year, i started working, and they gave me ~$1.5k a year because they thought i was making money from work AND my parents. so i had to open a student line of credit at my bank to make tuition, because i was barely making enough money to live and eat in toronto. so i had that rolling for the next three years, and then in my fifth year, since it'd been four years since HS graduation, the fuckers at OSAP went back to giving me 12k a year because obviously now my parents had stopped giving me money

so i actually have 50k in debt split between one 20k loan and one 30k loan and i need to repay both at the same time because fuck you very much OSAP

man i'm so glad aussie government has hecs

Jothel

To throw my own hat in, Prince Edward Island as a whole is a very tourist friendly destination and one you should know about if you've even got a passing familiarity with Anne of Green Gables. Problem is that it's not on any kind of direct flight (you'll likely hit Quebec and fly out of there), and it might be a bit expensive. However, it's beautiful countryside and seaside views pretty much anywhere you go, and the seafood is magnificent.

If you want an even more nature-y visit, Nova Scotia is the place to go. Acadia National park is breathtaking in many places.

Toronto is also a solid spot for someone looking to visit and have plenty of things to do, and as Zeb mentioned, it's not far from Niagra which is a really great stop. Plus you could hop over into NY for a spell, though there isn't a whole lot going on in that corner other than the parks. You could make a bigger trip of it and travel over to the Adirondack mountains, but I don't know what your budget or timeframe will be.

Just for clarity's sake, I'm from central NY but I've got family spaced out in various places in Canada.
Awesome will take all of this into account, thanks!

Woof, student loan talk is depressing as fuck.
Apologies for bringing it up, what situation are you in, Taylor?

Jintor

I know it's an oft-repeated point but it's Giant Bomb's GOTY. Their GOTY. What appeals to them. If Witcher 3 doesn't appeal to them enough for them to sink their hours into it - well, too bad I guess.

I mean it's the same thing I'm not toooooooo cut up about Wolf being ignored last year for Destiny. If they had really liked it that much more than destiny they would've said so instead of drowning in Destiny trying to find something of value in it

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think that game was really fun.
Kinda shallow.
Kinda easy.
But the core combat and getting around the world was fun and fast.

But you fight SO much of the same dudes in the same drab settings. For a bunch of guys who hate Dynasty Warriors, it was kind of like, 'what's the difference? Except this game is way fucking easier'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom