• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJDubz

Lockdown?!
tumblr_l7qse0nSi91qaqggd.gif

FStop7

Banned
I really prefer the Jeff-as-a-talk-show-host style of these last couple of E3 night shows over the absolute chaos of the old days. These smaller groups allow for even the more soft spoken and gun shy devs to get some time to talk about what they're there for and also allows for GB to better set up these appointments so that most of the folks sitting on the couch are better suited to one another. It still leads to random moments (like when Steve Gaynor jumped into the discussion out of nowhere) but it's a more controlled, better flowing chaos.

Yup. The new format is great. I think that's why the Boyes/Johnny/Lang segment bothered me, because the new style is so much better that it was particularly striking to see them revert to the old style. I kind of felt the same with the Campo Santo segment, too.

The Rami/Cowboy/Boyes segment was probably my favorite.

The old style is just... reminiscent of screaming PewDiePie-esque crap... I dunno, maybe I've just outgrown it.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It was a little more like the GDC shows and those were always my favourite. So a "Yeah!" from me for the E3 after hours streams!

I don't think we have to choose between the thoughtful segments and the crazy ones. I loved them both for different reasons. Watching the passion and knowledgeo f lorne Lanning was great, but watching the drunk Midway Besties self destruct was awesome too.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I thought this was the best three nights of after hours shows they've done.

No Vinny, no craziness other than Lang/V/Boyes. The only great segments were the Spencer/Kudo, Cowboy/Boyes, and the Lang/Johnny V. Lorne/Green/Drake was pretty interesting.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I feel like this years E3 after hours allowed for a lot more thoughtful conversation, but was missing out on the more hilarious absurdity that the giant groups allowed.

Stuff still got real crazy and hectic, but not in the same way as last year.

This is excluding the Boyes/Johnny V/ Lang segment, because that is such an absurd outlier every time that it'll always be golden.

Johnny V that was really fucked up what you did!

Edit: Also like alr1ght said, there was a serious lack of Vinny. I'd love to see him on those segments, hearing his impressions on the beastcast was great.

Fjordson

I feel like this years E3 after hours allowed for a lot more thoughtful conversation, but was missing out on the more hilarious absurdity that the giant groups allowed.

Stuff still got real crazy and hectic, but not in the same way as last year.

This is excluding the Boyes/Johnny V/ Lang segment, because that is such an absurd outlier every time that it'll always be golden.

Johnny V that was really fucked up what you did!

Edit: Also like alr1ght said, there was a serious lack of Vinny. I'd love to see him on those segments, hearing his impressions on the beastcast was great.
Agreed on all counts.

Still a great set of shows, though. Jeff is a fantastic interviewer. Also, I'm catching up on the day 3 show now and man Dave Lang, Adam Boyes and Johnny V are hilarious together.

No Vinny, no craziness other than Lang/V/Boyes. The only great segments were the Spencer/Kudo, Cowboy/Boyes, and the Lang/Johnny V. Lorne/Green/Drake was pretty interesting.

I think I generally agree with this statement. But it really comes as no surprise to me that the most interesting/entertaining panels are the ones with the long-time industry vets.

I know there's been plenty of talk about VR making horror games intense.

But man imagine walking around your dimly lit house at night with some Hololens horror game fuckin with you

Volotaire

Back to community eh? A shame GBeast had their first recorded beastcast scrambled. It sounded like a great guestlist. I love the Jeff Bakalar joke this week.

Volotaire

From last E3, the obvious weakness of the setup was with larger guests per segment, quitier and non-regular guests were crowded out. This was especially stark with the success of the lone Ed Boon segment.

I think GB went slightly too much in the other direction this year. Although I loved more of the deeper discussion with fewer guests, which allowed for all guests to talk and engage, I felt outside of the last segment, there were not enough crazy GB segments. The last segment worked moreso in a 3 person setup because of the connection between the 3. Of course, this opinion may differ by poster.

What I think they should do next year is to allow flexibility. Continue to use these shorter segments for more thorough discussion or new guests to the show, and use larger sets I. E an extra sofa for guests they are regular and more confident. Mix these throughout the night to allow for more variety.

Edit : this is not to say Jeff Green and Xavier segments were not funny. But overall, a bit more silliness could have been injected.

Greatwork GB crew and thanks again.

The final segment was what i was hoping for (except the drama didn't have to be that real LOL) so i'm glad it happened.

hopefully the crew can merge both approaches some more or if not they can leave the crazy shit for last like this one.

daydream

Banned
while i'd always appreciate more vinny, the bottom line for me is: the highs were much higher this year and the different panels were much more memorable. the filler guests last year really took away from my enjoyment, and in hindsight, it all blends together

last year wins in terms of conference commentary, though

Yeah I'd say last years commentary was better, I wasn't a fan of the negativity, kind of missed Patrick during them and Dan was way too quiet. The evening live shows though we're excellent, good guests, discussions and Jeff really showed how good he really is at all of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom