• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

No_Style

Loved the new format for this year's late shows. Maybe have one more GB person on the couch like Conan and Andy Richter to bounce more questions but excellent shows regardless.

Megasoum

Banned
Man the internet is weird...

One minute I watch Dan periscope himself buying TP and Pizza rolls and then 5min later I see him come online on Xbox Live.

We live in the fucking future.

Edit: Obviously, in the WWE Network app...

Fobwashed

Vice: Meet The Vapers of E3

What kind of vapes are these?
R: This is a Ranger box mod with a Kanger SUBTANK-MINI.
U: A Hades mech-mod with a Kanger SUBTANK-PLUS.

What does that mean?
U: The SUBTANK uses the MINI's RBA so you don't have to switch out the chimney to make the OCC or whatnot. It holds .07ml. That's a lot of juice.

VICE: What are you doing at E3?
Anthony: Just trying to check out all the new games, get my hands on some previews.

What's up with your vape?
I'm just vapin' it, man.

No_Style

I didn't think people were serious but I guess there are a handful who have dumped GB after their negative press conference reactions? If they stuck around to the live shows, they'd see that the crew were in much better spirits and optimistic then. I completely forgot about their press conference downers.

Tan

I didn't think people were serious but I guess there are a handful who have dumped GB after their negative press conference reactions? If they stuck around to the live shows, they'd see that the crew were in much better spirits and optimistic then. I completely forgot about their press conference downers.

I don't know why considering they're tone hasn't really changed since last year. Maybe people thought Jeff was joking all these years when he said he didn't care about Shenmue or FF7.

daydream

Banned
went back and watched the ea commentary (only conference i missed) and man, i'm kinda excited for the new nfs. i dunno if i'll ever have the platform to play it on but it did give me serious undergound vibes

No_Style

I found them overly negative as well and couldn't imagine how much worse it would have been without Vinny there. But it's not the end of my GB visits if they're negative about press events. If they were negative about all games -- all the time -- sure. But that's hardly the case when you listen to the 3 live shows and the excellent GB Presents podcasts.

The people who dumped GB were just dirty casuls. No need to spend anymore time discussing them.

Doop

It's kind of weird to me that people make these weird allegiances to gaming websites. I'm pretty sure if the two crews met they'd get along fine.

Also hey guys, my account got approved a few days ago, I've been reading this thread for a while though!

Zaph

I highly doubt anyone who was following GB before E3 dumped them afterwards because of the press conferences. You only need to watch a tiny amount of their content to know their reaction was par-for-the-course.

It's the usual internet "I don't like thing and I need to feel like I can do something about it"

Edit: Welcome Doop. Tea and biccies in the corner.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm tired of seeing at least one new thread poping up everyday shitting on GB... I don't expect everybody to love the site, that's totally fine if you don't like them but goddamit, get over it... Ugh.

I'm tired of seeing at least one new thread poping up everyday shitting on GB... I don't expect everybody to love the site, that's totally fine if you don't like them but goddamit, get over it... Ugh.
I knew as soon as I saw that game trailers thread that people were going to shit on giant bomb for not exploding orgasmically at the Sony conference. Sigh.

No_Style

I highly doubt anyone who was following GB before E3 dumped them afterwards because of the press conferences. You only need to watch a tiny amount of their content to know their reaction was par-for-the-course.

That's what I thought but when I see comments in other threads, I began to wonder if anyone around here got that riled up over it. I mean, we did have plenty of discussion about Jeff and Brad being negative in that other thread but I thought it was just discussion and not a sign of discontent with all that the site offers. Was curious if anyone who frequents these parts threw their hands in the air in a huff and swore them off. Heh.

It just occurred to me:

Johnny V is basically Waluigi.

Johnny V reminds me of Oolong from Dragon Ball. That phone incident was the ultimate of perceived slights.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
People are entirely free to not be into the way giantbomb presents themselves.

Let's not turn this into "why don't guy like what I like." On both sides.

I think the actual issue is that people are angry that someone isn't enthusiastic about the shenmue 3 kickstarter or the FF7 reboot or the last guardian demo. They usually cite a general sense of negativity but always go back to the Sony conference. The GB crew were pretty much enthusiastic about everything they brought up during the night show, like Jeff being really impressed with the Hololens even though a lot of people were down on it, and I can't recall any instance of them bringing up a game just to criticize it. It just feels like people trying to build a wide narrative to support a single grievance.

There's a lot of questionable sentiment around all the stuff coming out of the Sony conference, I guess it's a testament to the goodwill the company has managed to accrue in 2 years.

Megasoum

Banned
That's what I thought but when I see comments in other threads, I began to wonder if anyone around here got that riled up over it. I mean, we did have plenty of discussion about Jeff and Brad being negative in that other thread but I thought it was just discussion and not a sign of discontent with all that the site offers. Was curious if anyone who frequents these parts threw their hands in the air in a huff and swore them off. Heh.

So, one of my friend at work is a somewhat well known GAFer who's a Nintendo AND GT super fan. I had a discussion with him about that on FB earlier.

The way I explained it to him is that the GB guys have very specific taste and if you follow them for long enough (like most people in here do) then you get to a point where you can predict with almost 100% accuracy a duder's opinion about a newly announced game before he even says anything on a podcast or on video.

Now, knowing that, that means that you can be smart enough to see them comment on things like the E3 conference and not even raise an eyebrow when they are kinda down on the FF7 and Shenmue announcement. It doesn't mean they are jaded, it just means that those particular games don't interest them AND both games are years away.

On the other hand you can see Dan having an orgasm over his VR demo or Jeff looking like a kid in a candy store any time the words "Super Mario Maker" are said on a stream.

They're not jaded, they just have specific tastes and they won't fake enthousiasm about a game simply because there's a ton of hype around it.

We should all just move to the Giant Bomb forums!

Let's not do anything crazy now.

As a strong consumer of popcorn, it's best to just let those groups be and enjoy looking at them from a distance. Don't popcorn piss or try to point out things; they've already made up their narrative and it's impossible to convince them otherwise.

I did feel like they were a little more negative this year myself. That said, they didn't despise the Nintendo conference as much as GAF so the reaction likely is just due to them not giving a fuck about some of the Sony stuff. Oh well.

FStop7

Banned

That's a pretty big overreaction on their part.

Zaph

I look forward to both those projects being delivered smoothly and without controversy.

I'm sure everyone will be happy, disappointment will be non-existent and GB will look like over-cautious old men for having ever raised an eyebrow.

Zacagawea

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I am ready for this GB vs GT war. Our first move should be to get that one Gametrailers thread moved to community where it belongs to cut off any of their possible reinforcements from new recruits. We're at a significant disadvantage being in here while they're out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom