• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

No_Style

You'll see. YOU'LL ALL SEE.

I just doubled my donation to spite you.

I'm not saying that the Kickstarter doesn't deserve the $10 million but the random reach outs to internet celebrities to promote the Kickstarter is weird to me. If they were interested in it, you'd think they would have already promoted it, no?

I half expect someone to reach out to Xavier Woods so he could pitch it to Vince McMahon and have it appear on RAW at this rate.

I want someone to do this!

Myggen

Is the Kickstarter running badly or what's the problem right now?

It has stagnated, but all Kickstarters stagnate to some degree after the initial rush. The "panic" comes from Yu Suzuki saying that Kickstarter will provide most of the funding, and that he needs $10m to make it truly open world.

Every time I look at that game I just can't get over the fact that she won't shut up, but her voice has no effect on the "every sound creates a visual" world.

It's, like, internal monologue or something... except when she's talking to the other person. In which case, uh... yeah I dunno I just like what the game's going for. It's sort of like the spooky Gone Home I actually wanted.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
It's, like, internal monologue or something... except when she's talking to the other person. In which case, uh... yeah I dunno I just like what the game's going for. It's sort of like the spooky Gone Home I actually wanted.

They said it was a deliberate choice but it's so wrong that it makes me feel uncomfortable just watching the video. I just can't buy into it at all because of that and can't see myself playing the game. Might seem silly but every time she talks and nothing happens it just screams "game" and I lose all sense of believing in the world.

f0rk

fucking kickstarter has developed a new breed of obnoxious back-seat developers

Who also are incapable of doing the proper due diligence a large investment should require, because the risk is reasonably thinly spread.

If you went to an actual investor/publisher and said "we need $10 million from you to make the game like this, and this would be most of the funds", the publisher would 100% want to nail down a definition of "most". But because it's being requested from fans they all immediately scramble to meet the request and take the vague terms as gospel.

The difference between investment and purchase on kickstarter is almost a semantic thing at this point, I still think it can boarder on anti-consumer.

Myggen

I thought it was really interesting that Burnie Burns mentioned (on the Rooster Teeth segment Jeff was on) that big crowdfunding conference he had been on where the film industry was still debating the ethics of something like Kickstarter.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I don't give a shit about Shenmue. It's like a more boring version of Yakuza. And Yakuza is already boring as hell.
There, I said it.

Good for those who want it though.

Hagi

ehhh at this point you might as well just skip Kenzan. at least Ishin and 0 are cross-gen and potentially open to a bigger market

I suppose you're right it would just be nice to play Kenzan without a tablet on my lap for a change. I'm going to pick up Ishin and 0 when I'm in Tokyo next week, everything I've read about 0 sounds fun. I really don't expect either of them to get English releases before the PlayStation 5 comes out.

Where is that Jeff in a penguin suit gif from btw? I'm looking for stuff to put on my nexus to watch on the plane.

I suppose you're right it would just be nice to play Kenzan without a tablet on my lap for a change. I'm going to pick up Ishin and 0 when I'm in Tokyo next week, everything I've read about 0 sounds fun. I really don't expect either of them to get English releases before the PlayStation 5 comes out.

Where is that Jeff in a penguin suit gif from btw? I'm looking for stuff to put on my nexus to watch on the plane.

It's from the 10/31 Halloween episode of UPF

Also features Mary Kish in a zero suit

As I said, I can't wait for:

1) TLG continues to be essentially vaporware.
2) Shenmue is a poor to meh game.
3) The FF7 remake misses all the marks that made FF7 good. Alternatively, Lightning is the main protagonist this time.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
As I said, I can't wait for:

1) TLG continues to be essentially vaporware.
2) Shenmue is a poor to meh game.
3) The FF7 remake misses all the marks that made FF7 good. Alternatively, Lightning is the main protagonist this time.
3) E3 2020: "If they don't show the FF7 Remake this year, it's probably dead"

Haunted

Now that's a Final Fantasy I'd play.
image.php

Shenmue 3 kickstarter is pretty badly run.

The stretch goals have no explanation to them.
The prices for tiers are all over the shop.
Maybe they should do a update post saying "hey Sony isnt actually funding this. They are just giving us the support they give other self published games"
No PayPal?
No retail discs for PS4 version even for higher backers?

But its still bringing in money. I went out for a hour and it was up 3k by the time I got home. Thats more then decent. But it seems like after all the shit that has been tossed at it + maybe a bit of over expectations on their part it wont be bringing in the crazy ammount of money they expected.

I would be shocked if it didnt outdo the Bloodstained Kickstarter but I dont expect it doing significantly more then it without a major shift on their messaging.

3) E3 2020: "If they don't show the FF7 Remake this year, it's probably dead"

Someone really needs to update that TLG Star Trek DS9 gif for FF7 remake. That game is going to go dark until at least 2017 and wont be out to 18 or 19 at the earliest.

Here's the thing, those backers could pull out if they wanted before the kickstarter ends. What if the whales decide that it's not in their interest to do so, or perceive Sony as funding it and, as it's already smashed through its funding goal, back out?

It will be interesting to see if the number plateaus or peters off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom