• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Here's the thing, those backers could pull out if they wanted before the kickstarter ends. What if the whales decide that it's not in their interest to do so, or perceive Sony as funding it and, as it's already smashed through its funding goal, back out?

It will be interesting to see if the number plateaus or peters off.

That could happen in any Kickstarter, but almost never does. Bloodstained was revealed to be published by Deep Silver (with confusion over whether they own the IP) halfway through the campaign and it still made every goal they set.

The people that most want Shenmue 3, really want Shenmue 3. Those people aren't going to back out. It will slow down in the middle like all Kickstarter projects do, and depending on how hard they push toward the end it may or may not pick up again.

That could happen in any Kickstarter, but almost never does. Bloodstained was revealed to be published by Deep Silver (with confusion over whether they own the IP) halfway through the campaign and it still made every goal they set.

And I guess the people who are backing it have an interest in the series anyway, so why kill their conclusion?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I have this suspicion FF7 will still somehow come out before KH3. I just have a feeling that thing is going to be fucked.

I have no idea why there's still no date for FFXV.

I have this suspicion FF7 will still somehow come out before KH3. I just have a feeling that thing is going to be fucked.

You mean rushed out as fast as possible?

Oh man what if it's trying to recover from last year's E3 where they announced the FF7 re-release and everyone got real pissy about it.

I don't understand people bitching about the Sony backing shenmue thing. It's more money. That's a good thing. You still get as much say in anything as you did before (nothing), and if at any point you used critical thinking you'd know 3 million dollars is nowhere near enough to make a tenth of shenmue, they were always going to have other funding partners. What are you mad about?

KingKong

I don't understand people bitching about the Sony backing shenmue thing. It's more money. That's a good thing. You still get as much say in anything as you did before (nothing), and if at any point you used critical thinking you'd know 3 million dollars is nowhere near enough to make a tenth of shenmue, they were always going to have other funding partners. What are you mad about?

Well the problem I have with it is that Sony wanted people to think they weren't involved in the campaign, so I can see how people would feel tricked. I have to laugh at how many people are willing to pay for companies to make products for them though, Kickstarter sure has come a long way.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You mean rushed out as fast as possible?

Oh man what if it's trying to recover from last year's E3 where they announced the FF7 re-release and everyone got real pissy about it.

Nomura doesn't know the meaning of rushed. I'm not saying FF7 will be rushed. Im saying it will somehow take priority over KH over time. I watched the making of Roger Rabbit and they talked about how for every scene they basically had to send cels to Disney and WB and say, 'like is this ok or what?' I can't imagine making a game combined with Nomura's nature of game designing and the high expectations of a sequel to a game that's over a generation old.

Where as the other one is just a remake of a game we all know. Might change a few things, but I could just see the development of KH3 being a complete clusterfuck until they grab Tabata and tell him to finish it off

this just in, fucking internet idiots don't understand how funding of the arts actually works

I'd be more worried that Suzuki came out and said "the more you all pay, the better the game will be" which is cause for alarm all over the place. I mean damn, do the research, figure out what the cost is to do what you want to do, raise that much money. none of this wishy-washy "we'll make it for $ but it will be shitty unless you give us $$$"

Nomura doesn't know the meaning of rushed.

it's amazing how both he and Ueda are both employed somehow

e: and how Igarashi, who routinely delivered on time basically had to quit to escape from the mobile phone storage closet Konami had him in

Wait, didn't this happen? I could have sworn it was said the "true version" of the game would be made at the 10mil mark.

yeah that's what I'm saying. that right there is what people should be worried about, not that they're also getting money from other sources

Sony also doing the smart thing by making sure they're not on the hook if this thing gets fucked up

They're both Nomura projects, and one has a giant corporation overseeing and approving it, so yeah.

KH3 comes out first... next year. Then FF7 comes out 2017 for the 20th anniversary.

PBalfredo

They're both Nomura projects, and one has a giant corporation overseeing and approving it, so yeah.

KH3 comes out first... next year. Then FF7 comes out 2017 for the 20th anniversary.

Isn't one of the reasons FF Versus XIII XV is so long in coming because basically no progress was being made on it while FFXIII was still in development? If Nomura is on both, there's likely to be next to no forward movement on FF7-R until KHIII is out.

I feel like it has to or people are going to go mad.

Final Fantasy 15 will somehow missed coming out in 2015... would have practically written the marketing campaign on its own if they made it this year.

Square dont give a fuck about releases making sense. I do expect some kind of playable demo for 7 for the 20th anniversary though. Maybe pack it in with that rumoured Dragon Quest 11 for PS4.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

There is no world where FF XV comes out this year and KH 3 comes out next year. Early 2016 for FFXV(and that's in Japan) and maybe late 2017 for KH 3. MAYBE.

Don't see FF7 remake coming out before 2018 at least. Its probably barely even begun development, and people seem to be forgetting how massive that game is. And I'm not exactly trusting of SE's dev cycle to actually put the game out anytime within the next few years.

Myggen

Don't see FF7 remake coming out before 2018 at least. Its probably barely even begun development, and people seem to be forgetting how massive that game is. And I'm not exactly trusting of SE's dev cycle to actually put the game out anytime within the next few years.

Depends on what they're doing with the game. "Remake" can mean a lot of things. If they're building it from the ground up for the PS4 there's no way it'll release in 2017. If it's more of a remaster I can totally see it releasing in 2017. I still find it hard to believe that Square is going all in with this, more likely it's a remaster or something in between.

Depends on what they're doing with the game. "Remake" can mean a lot of things. If they're building it from the ground up for the PS4 there's no way it'll release in 2017. If it's more of a remaster I can totally see it releasing in 2017. I still find it hard to believe that Square is going all in with this, more likely it's a remaster or something in between.

Yeah, I don't think there's any chance of it looking even remotely similar to the CG cutscene they showed. I'd honestly be shocked if the game looked as good as FFXIII does. I still think at best we're not gonna see it for a few years considering all the stuff they've got lined up as well, but its not like I know for sure.

I just can't see a game as huge as FF7 being built in 2 years unless it is more of just a remaster. But they specifically threw out the word "Remake" for a reason at the end of the teaser.

Visceir

They will probably take the story and turn it into a new game, something shorter and more condensed with all the key elements still being there.

I'm willing to bet it will look atleast as good as FF XV.

popo

Can someone explain why people back a kickstarter at the lower tiers, the ones that do not include a game? Surely if you are willing to back a game you want made, you would actually want a copy of the game. Seems like giving charity to a corporation.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
FF7 is Square's last major 'get out of jail free' card. They're going to build it up from the ground up as a major AAA thing even if they make some changes.

The real question is how they'll put Gackt into it.

Can someone explain why people back a kickstarter at the lower tiers, the ones that do not include a game? Surely if you are willing to back a game you want made, you would actually want a copy of the game. Seems like giving charity to a corporation.

If you don't have the money but still want a sense of "I helped!" when it comes out.

one of the websites who posted the rumor articles of the the game siliconera or maybe the verge? said that they were aiming for Dissidia PS4 models for cloud and presumably the rest of the cast. So i can see a fully remake but not with hi tech graphics.

FF7 is Square's last major 'get out of jail free' card. They're going to build it up from the ground up as a major AAA thing even if they make some changes.

i thought he got all angry with square over Crisis core

Final Fantasy 15 will somehow missed coming out in 2015... would have practically written the marketing campaign on its own if they made it this year.

Square dont give a fuck about releases making sense. I do expect some kind of playable demo for 7 for the 20th anniversary though. Maybe pack it in with that rumoured Dragon Quest 11 for PS4.

well ff12 demo did come with dq8 for ps2 so they can totally do this again

Hagi

They should get him to voice Vincent!

They already used up there last get out jail free card on Realm Reborn. They turned that shit around amazingly well. Out of all the big Japanese developers of all Square Enix is the one I have the least problems with these days.

That last segment. Holy fuck.

ThinWhimsicalAnteater.gif

Classic GB. Get these three to close it next year. And for the next 10 years.

They already used up there last get out jail free card on Realm Reborn. They turned that shit around amazingly well. Out of all the big Japanese developers of all Square Enix is the one I have the least problems with these days.

this is true

star ocean , nier 2 and the work they do with ff14 is pretty amazing

one of the websites who posted the rumor articles of the the game siliconera or maybe the verge? said that they were aiming for Dissidia PS4 models for cloud and presumably the rest of the cast. So i can see a fully remake but not with hi tech graphics.

I'll be really happy if it looks like this:

Realm Reborn wasn't really a get out of jail free card, it was more of a bat shit insane make good.

tchocky

What often happens is the lowest tier with a copy of the game is for the PC version with console ports as stretch goals. Maybe they are backing the lower tiers since they don't have a capable PC and want to help it reach the stretch goals for a version they can play.

I think we should move away from this topic. I don't see it ending well.

We should all talk about how johnny v should have put boyes number on twitter instead of lang

Myggen

I think we should move away from this topic. I don't see it ending well.

We should all talk about how johnny v should have put boyes number on twitter instead of lang

That way people could call in with questions about Shenmue 3 instead of just tweeting him!

Is it wrong that I am considering the witcher 3 simply because I want to play more GOTY candidates?

I guess not that's kind of just a roundabout way of saying "hey i want to play videogames that are good and that people are going to be talking about"

hamchan

Is it wrong that I am considering the witcher 3 simply because I want to play more GOTY candidates?

I guess not that's kind of just a roundabout way of saying "hey i want to play videogames that are good and that people are going to be talking about"

Money and time are limited in this world. Only playing games that are critically acclaimed by many people is a legit way to go about it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Today is a good day to watch GB's Quick Look Throwback of Shenmue.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-throwback-shenmue/2300-1334/

Some guy in the comments said:
I made an account here just to say how pissed off I am about Jeff's flippant and condescending attitude about Shenmue. If you're so bitter and jaded about gaming, do a massive favor for those of us who love video games and respect them as art; get the fuck out of games journalism. Goodbye, Giant Bomb,

I think I might love Shenmue after all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom