• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.
how is the GeForce GTX 960?

Fucking great step up from the 660 I used to use, and really affordable too.

A-fucking-men

Shenmue sucks hard. The faster people realize this the sooner they'll learn they will be disappointed with whatever the third game turns out to be. It's not even fun in a deadly premonition kind of way, it's just boring and not fun.

And fuck QTE's

So why do people like it so much?

which webzone do I have to leave a comment on to get a pizza roll

Do they not have them where you are? Very sad.

he said that nobody wants to fund or support that idea, what a stupid world we live in

Well he's not wrong. Do you really think a publisher wants their name on something like that? Funds yeah, but it still has to go to market.

BearPawB

Banned
People who say Shenmue is bad and boring is like people who say Citizen Kane is boring (/yeahiwentthere). Shenmue, at its time, was a revelation. Never before had a world been that immersive.

Now it's sort of slow and plodding. But that game was monumentally influential and ahead of its time.

Sure compared to a modern game you say "how could anyone play that". But at the time, I was blown away by every bit of that game

I like the people in that thread trying to get people who never played the first two to back this one

boy, this one better have a good "last time on Shenmue..." if that's the case

demidar

People who say Shenmue is bad and boring is like people who say Citizen Kane is boring (/yeahiwentthere). Shenmue, at its time, was a revelation. Never before had a world been that immersive.

Now it's sort of slow and plodding. But that game was monumentally influential and ahead of its time.

Sure compared to a modern game you say "how could anyone play that". But at the time, I was blown away by every bit of that game

Yeah it's a world you can steep yourself in and never come up, that's why it's great.

fH5gni1.png

HA

There are so many people wanting a physical release, and this is the most wishy-washy answer that could have come out.

This is the last Shenmue thing I post, I promise.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Eh, you see that for a couple of games already, especially with vita games. Some publishers are opting to go digital only, with a physical release as a special edition.

I like digital, I love steam, and I don't get the fervent desire for physical copies. I guess it's a "property rights" sort of thing? I have the thing let me show it to you?

I like digital, I love steam, and I don't get the fervent desire for physical copies. I guess it's a "property rights" sort of thing? I have the thing let me show it to you?

the fear of not being able to play it at some indefinite time in the future, I'd guess.

but what Jeff talks about regarding "freelance preservationists" renders that more or less moot.

and I'm completely on board. the only reasons I buy physical at all anymore are because

- PSN downloads are slow as shit and trying to pull down 30gb of game is depressing
- Vita storage is way too expensive

digital is the best.

Antiwhippy

As someone with a 200gb cap I don't see myself going digital only with the new generation.

Thank god there aren't enough compelling games yet to make me jump onto the new generation!

oh yeah and

- it's usually somehow cheaper to import a physical copy than to buy it digitally.

it cost me the same amount of money to have Yakuza 0 shipped to me from the other side of the planet as it would have to buy gift cards and buy it from psn

Antiwhippy

Actually the one physical vs digital problem facing me now is that I want to play nier after the Square Enix conference, but they don't have that on PSN and for some ungodly reason the PS3 version is insanely expensive here.

Can't wait for Vinnyvania, MGS4, and the Old Games show this week!
*laugh track plays*

And I need a second 980Ti, want that sweet 4K, 60 fps ;-; Can get a steady 60 FPS at 1440P with pretty much every game now though.

demidar

As someone with a 200gb cap I don't see myself going digital only with the new generation.

Thank god there aren't enough compelling games yet to make me jump onto the new generation!

I have a 200GB quota as well (Australian internet is the worst) but my Steam downloads are unmetered. Same for you?

demidar

Nope. Didn't know that you can get that kind of deal.

Dunno if iiNet is over there, but they're the ones who provide that service.

God, I wouldn't be able to play any PC games were it not for that. Downloading GTA5 would be pretty much out of the question.

Anyway, shitty internet is why physical still exists.

I just checked my usage numbers from Comcast, out of curiosity, since I haven't been paying attention since they stopped enforcing the 250 GB cap. I'm at 450-500 GB a month between streaming video and digital downloads of games. I've become accustom to not paying attention to my usage, I fear the return of the cap.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm just watching day 3 of the Giant Bomb LIVE! at E3 and crying at the section with Dave Lang, Adam Boyes and John Vignocchi. Vignocchi just tweeted Lang's phone number.. That guy always comes across as put upon and is really defensive but that was a dick move.

edit: just saw Jeff say there was one thing worse he's seen on a Giant Bomb stream - what would that have been?

fucking funny though. And the section earlier with Lorne Lanning talking about VR was great.

Zaph

serious question, does that count for all traffic, or only for web traffic (i.e., ftp is exempt)?

Unless your ISP has some type of peering/exception arrangement like some do with VoD and gaming services (which is rare), then it's all traffic. In fact, I'm pretty sure making exceptions on any type of domestic traffic is now against both EU and US interpretations of net neutrality (but not mobile data).

And I second that comment of not knowing how people live with caps. It's a real sign of the times that estate agents now list the status of the neighbourhood broadband in the listings of property. That shit is clutch.

TraBuch

Banned
I have a new 750 GB cap after being uncapped for the longest time. I find myself constantly running into the cap. I had no idea we used that much bandwidth a month, but I guess streaming adds up. Especially baseball 25 times a month, sometimes on multiple TVs.

It sucks. There're some games I wanna download but have to wait a bit.

Antiwhippy

I stream a lot and I have no idea how people use up to 400gbs just based on streaming.

Heck, most of the time I manage to stay under my cap.

fH5gni1.png

HA

There are so many people wanting a physical release, and this is the most wishy-washy answer that could have come out.

This is the last Shenmue thing I post, I promise.

You are really pushing it with this shenmue thing in this thread for a bizzare reason.

If you don't like shenmue or the kickstarter i don't see why you have to keep bringing it up in this thread.

We already have a shenmue thread in Gaming which seems like the place to post about your concerns about it.

Zaph

I stream a lot and I have no idea how people use up to 400gbs just based on streaming.

Heck, most of the time I manage to stay under my cap.

That is a hell of a lot of data, but you're going to see numbers like that become more common as more people buy newer smart TVs and Roku-style devices which support playlist and uninterrupted streaming.

If you leave these TVs on as background noise, the data adds up quick. My girlfriend likes to leave youtube music playlists running all day sometimes, which would damn near give me an anxiety attack if I had a cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom