• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

popo

No sure. That is why I want an unbiased opinion. Not because I love the game and want my purchases violated - because I suspect that I am done with Batman and want to know where the high review scores are coming from.

Jason seems to really life Batman so getting him in on the QL would be a good start. I suspect Brad will give it a fair shake too.

I think the fact that its open world is kind of putting me off of Batman. Well that and the preorder stuff being a huge headache. But I vastly preferred the atmosphere and world design of the asylum to the city, even if the levels themselves were still designed well.

But I vastly preferred the atmosphere and world design of the asylum to the city, even if the levels themselves were still designed well.

me too, by a huge margin. pretty much every area in the game had a purpose and a reason to be there, it weirdly felt more like a real place than the city games

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Man, screw those lazy GB bums. Still no content? Pfff, what the hell. Subscribtopkaafkan camöjklna

I dunno, at this point I am completely sick of all things with batman combat.

It probably helps that I didn't play anything Batman-like since Arkham City. (Mordor doesn't count).
I hope Knight is better than City which I found pretty dull. (Except for the flying around part).

I always prefer intimate environments that you return to after something happened to a static open world. Maybe I misremember AC but I can't really remember anything particular about that game.
It's a great "Listen to a podcast and grind some achievements" game though.

me too, by a huge margin. pretty much every area in the game had a purpose and a reason to be there, it weirdly felt more like a real place than the city games

Totally agree. I think Brad has mentioned on a Bombcast or elsewhere that he really appreciated the focus of Arkham Asylum, and I think that hit the nail on the head. The navigation stuff was fun in City, but the larger open world added nothing to the game.

Even though I really like DMC/NG-style character action, I thought the combat was really well-done in Asylum. It properly conveyed the feeling of being Batman, and if nothing else presented the illusion of being skillful even if it was incredibly forgiving without you knowing about it. Really good game design.

But none of that is true if you aren't actually Batman.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I think the Batman games suffer most from being too samey game to game.

Yeah, but weirdly enough the biggest new "thing", the tank, in Arkham Knight seems to be the thing most people dislike. It's weird how the Batman games remind me so much of Assassin's Creed despite not coming out nearly as frequent. Even though I have played just 2 games and looking forward to AK I doubt I would buy a fourth one.

Yeah, but weirdly enough the biggest new "thing", the tank, in Arkham Knight seems to be the thing most people dislike. It's weird how the Batman games remind me so much of Assassin's Creed despite not coming out nearly as frequent. Even though I have played just 2 games and looking forward to AK I doubt I would buy a fourth one.

Origins really isn't worth buying so this is for the best.

I don't really see how they suffer from that more or less than any other sequel.

For some weird reason it feels like Batman suffers from it so much more, right with Assassin's Creed and other annualized groups. Which is really weird because it's not annualized; there's only four games in the series now.

demidar

For some weird reason it feels like Batman suffers from it so much more, right with Assassin's Creed and other annualized groups. Which is really weird because it's not annualized; there's only four games in the series now.

Also Batman combat is everywhere, and that fatigue will carry through.

I am fucking sick of Batman combat.

Fortunately DMC4:SE will release in a day, and I will be in combat heaven.

I agree with that when you compare City and Origins, but I'm not really sure how much more they could have grown (while still retaining the score of the series) in the leap from Asylum to City.

It's true though. Once they went open world with City, the options for expansion became limited.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
BTW this will be my new "Hey guys, I just came into this threa - oh god what the hell is happening" gif.

YIAexyZ.gif

santeesioux

I dunno, at this point I am completely sick of all things with batman combat.

Yeah, if I wouldn't have gotten it free with my new GPU, I probably wouldn't have played this until a Steam sale like next summer. It probably doesn't help I just played Origins several months back.

jaina

I have GB in a twitter list, on a separate tab, so it doesn't clutter up my feed. In the end I read all of it anyway :/

I don't even watch their videos anymore, all the best quotes end up here.

Except I just watched the day 2 E3 video, and Xavier Woods seems like a really cool guy. Giant Bomb should hire him.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
What is Triple Triad like, and how could it possibly be more important than Gwent?

Triple Triad is the time when you don't have to look at the characters in Final Fantasy 8 so you think "Sweet zombie jesus this card game is the greatest thing in the world" and that's all you remember later because you went back to the soul numbing monotony that is the plot to that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom