• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's just a bunch of assholes dragging each other down.

Ok I might be into that.

There's definitely some damn good gold.

m1pMxZO.gif

X9iQxip.png

5uReXfo.png

v1IeN8p.png

Anjin M

They always record on Tuesday.

The Bombcast almost always records on Monday afternoon. People always ask if they will talk about some news that breaks Monday night and they never do for that reason. They record Monday afternoon, Brad does the production work Tuesday morning, then posts the cast in the afternoon.

The only times they record on Tuesday are when the office is closed on Monday or when they eff up the recording. In those cases, Brad has to produce the show in the afternoon, then we get a late night tweet about it still being Tuesday somewhere.

Some of that is supposition that Brad can please correct, but it lines up with what I've witnessed over the years.

Damn, it has been years, hasn't it?

justjim89

This week's Danswers has taught me that girls don't like to look at dicks apparently.

From my experience, that's a correct assertion. Penises aren't terribly handsome things and when you combine that with cell phone quality pictures and lighting, plus typically unflattering angles said pictures are often taken from, you may as well not bother. In any type of erotic text message exchange, some flowery, descriptive language will typically go a lot farther than some haphazard bathroom lit action shot of your commander in chief.

Just speaking generally, of course.

danm999

Sounds like Dave Lang really shit the bed with the AK PC port.

JV knew

Yeah I was gonna pick it up tonight for Steam but it sounds like the port really needs a couple patches.

Textures not working, SLI not working, hard crashes, people struggling to hit 30 FPS with even 980s...

Fuck I know the Witcher had some XP issues but it really felt like we'd turned a corner from last year where big AAA games were super busted at launch.

danm999

So watching the Batman QL, where Brad is zooming around the city exploding enemy vehicles, how on earth is Batman not uh, killing people, doing that?

Even if its an EMP it seems like shit is blowing up that is bound to off someone.

So watching the Batman QL, where Brad is zooming around the city exploding enemy vehicles, how on earth is Batman not uh, killing people, doing that?

Even if its an EMP it seems like shit is blowing up that is bound to off someone.

They're unmanned! Or something? I know in that one segment after the bombs are dropped they specifically say that the trucks for that moment are unmanned, so maybe they all are?

danm999

They're unmanned! Or something? I know in that one segment after the bombs are dropped they specifically say that the trucks for that moment are unmanned, so maybe they all are?

Ah ok. Seems an obvious work around.

I wonder if the animations get all Crazy Taxi weird if you try and run dudes over in your Batmobile though.

I'm dwelling a lot on murder huh.

danm999

unkess it gets way better than what they showed off in the QL, the Batmobile seems like such a bad idea.

Yeah I've watched a few more videos besides the Quick Look at this point and it seems like it was dreamt up as because someone in marketing said "we need a new hook for this fourth game".

Zaph

After reading that Luke Smith/Eurogamer Destiny interview, I had to re-watch his segment on the Day 2 night show as a palate cleanser.

His attitude during the two interviews couldn't be any more different. It seems everyone knows better than to try and bullshit Jeff.

Iron Galaxy did the Batman port?
Welp.
After reading that Luke Smith/Eurogamer Destiny interview, I had to re-watch his segment on the Day 2 night show as a palate cleanser.

His attitude during the two interviews couldn't be any more different. It seems everyone knows better than to try and bullshit Jeff.
Could it partially be a tone thing that doesn't come across in the text version?

Zaph

Could it partially be a tone thing that doesn't come across in the text version?

Maybe? But doubtful. Read this:

Luke Smith: And for existing players it also comes with the Founder's pack with a new Sparrow, shader and emblem.

Eurogamer: Just not the emotes.

Luke Smith: It doesn't because they come with the Collector's Edition.

Eurogamer: Final question on prices -

Luke Smith: Is it also the final question on the emotes?

Eurogamer: I'm not going to mention them again. I can't get them.

Luke Smith: But you can if you buy the Collector's Edition.

Eurogamer: I'm not going to buy the game and the two DLCs all over again.

Luke Smith: Okay, but first I want to poke at you on this a little bit.

Eurogamer: Poke at me?

Luke Smith: You're feeling anxious because you want this exclusive content but you don't know yet how much you want it. The notion of spending this money is making you anxious, I can see it -

Eurogamer: I do want them. I would buy them -

Luke Smith: If I fired up a video right now and showed you the emotes you would throw money at the screen.

Eurogamer: What I'm saying is that fan frustration is not because they don't understand the proposition. It comes regardless of how cool the exclusive content is. The frustration - and mine as a fan - is that the method of acquiring it requires me to re-buy content I bought a year ago.

Luke Smith: [Long pause] It's about value. The player's assessment of the value of the content.

I'm not sure what type of tone would be required to massage that.

Hagi

lol really pushing those emotes there Luke

Destinys problem has always been the players value of the content not stacking up with Bungies

I'm gonna obscure my spoilers but I'll tag them anyway.

OreImo is one of those shows that would've been good had the ending gone one way or the other (which some people may be creeped out by given the subject matter). Instead it took the non-committal middle road which made everything leading up to it pretty much meaningless. Basically the ending had no confidence in itself and it retroactively wrecked the story.

So what's up with the new Destiny DLC? I haven't been keeping up.

oreimo's pretty bad but not because of the subject matter. it's poorly paced, follows some seriously questionable and frustrating logic, and shits the bed at the end. it could have been more.

SAO has the potential to be amazing and it kind of actually pulls it off... about 10% of the time. the rest is just like some carefully constructed psychological torture built to destroy the will of anyone who watches it. but I don't have enough self respect to stop watching it.

I have a weird tendency to cling onto things that show promise, even well after common sense dictates it's time to let go... like Destiny.

"You're gonna buy it just for the emotes aren't you?"
"I-- I mean... no..."
"Look at you. Your hands are shaking. You sick son of a bitch. You're gonna do it."

Iron Galaxy did the Batman port?
Welp.

Seems as if Iron Galaxy handled the steamworks integration. The actual port appears to have been done in house by rocksteady.

Given that most PC gamers still can't run Arkham City at max settings without a severe performance hit years later, it comes as no surprise that AK is jank city right now. Even Batman Oranges had the decency to run reasonably on the PC outside of a couple of save bugs.

And yeah, I have a buddy who is super into destiny and he can't get over the fact that for $60 I'll have more content than he does even though he's already invested over $100 in the game. The least those folks can do is give up the dumb emotes so they're not giving their hardcore fans the finger. Almost seems like bungie has botched Destiny at every level since release.

I managed to give it the boot after like 60-70 hours, and weirdly it wasn't the grind that killed my enthusiasm, it was the string of patches that made the game worse and less worth playing with every iteration

that people are still letting themselves get dicked around by bungie at this point is horrible. has there been a single update that brought a net positive to the game?

demidar

lol really pushing those emotes there Luke

Destinys problem has always been the players value of the content not stacking up with Bungies

I finally got around to reading that interview.

I don't know who's idea it was to price The Taken King at $40 (or 40 pounds even), but whoever it was fucked up. And those extra emotes is just the shit icing on the shit cake.

oreimo's pretty bad but not because of the subject matter. it's poorly paced, follows some seriously questionable and frustrating logic, and shits the bed at the end. it could have been more.

SAO has the potential to be amazing and it kind of actually pulls it off... about 10% of the time. the rest is just like some carefully constructed psychological torture built to destroy the will of anyone who watches it. but I don't have enough self respect to stop watching it.

I have a weird tendency to cling onto things that show promise, even well after common sense dictates it's time to let go... like Destiny.

Everything I've seen of the SAO is just... ugh. Everything that is not animation is pervasively and aggressively poor.

The big thing that put me off of Destiny is that it's pointless trying to get loot due to how Bungie handles the DLC. Also the lack of matchmaking for a bunch of content sucks.

I managed to give it the boot after like 60-70 hours, and weirdly it wasn't the grind that killed my enthusiasm, it was the string of patches that made the game worse and less worth playing with every iteration

that people are still letting themselves get dicked around by bungie at this point is horrible. has there been a single update that brought a net positive to the game?
People whined enough that there's matchmaking for Strikes. I don't think there's match making for the raids yet which is a pretty big turnoff for me. I play at weird hours and don't have many gaming friends so match making is absolutely a necessity for me.

popo

Luke Smith has always been arrogant. I liked him at 1up but there is no denying that. The crux of why his arguments with Shane were so entertaining was basicaly two big headed jerks who would never give an inch going at each other. I never understood him going in to PR.

People whined enough that there's matchmaking for Strikes. I don't think there's match making for the raids yet which is a pretty big turnoff for me. I play at weird hours and don't have many gaming friends so match making is absolutely a necessity for me.
There's no matchmaking for one of the weekly strikes, raids or 3 of the 4 versions of the co-op wave based thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom