• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

danm999

People whined enough that there's matchmaking for Strikes. I don't think there's match making for the raids yet which is a pretty big turnoff for me. I play at weird hours and don't have many gaming friends so match making is absolutely a necessity for me.

I just...

How did this semi MMO come to be you guys.

There's no matchmaking for one of the weekly strikes, raids or 3 of the 4 versions of the co-op wave based thing.
But doesn't it have a lot of stuff that would be hard to do with randomers? Like with a coordinated crew (the gb stream) it took many hours.

It's a creative decision, not a technical one I think.
Of course the answer then is to enable matchmaking for those who have finished it at least once. >_>

I just...

I can kind of understand their reasoning (that it would suck if you have randos dropping out in the middle), but the solution isn't to nix matchmaking, it's to figure out a way to make the content conducive to the matchmaking

but that's crazy talk

danm999

But doesn't it have a lot of stuff that would be hard to do with randomers? Like with a coordinated crew (the gb stream) it took many hours.

It's a creative decision, not a technical one I think.
Of course the answer then is to enable matchmaking for those who have finished it at least once. >_>

Or to allow you to take some friends, and matchmake in whatever else you need.

I can kind of understand their reasoning (that it would suck if you have randos dropping out in the middle), but the solution isn't to nix matchmaking, it's to figure out a way to make the content conducive to the matchmaking
Eh, can you explain what you mean?
Because I don't think the answer is that you shouldn't make long, intense content for those willing (and able) to go the extra mile.

Bacon

I just...

People still defend bungie for this decision on this very forum. "You wouldn't want to play The raids with randoms, trust me"

I mean really? To not even let the player have the choice to matchmake is a baffling decision.

hamchan

People still defend bungie for this decision on this very forum. "You wouldn't want to play The raids with randoms, trust me"

I mean really? To not even let the player have the choice to matchmake is a baffling decision.

It's a real dumb defence for sure.

People still made their own PUGs using sites like DestinyLFG in the end. Sure, of course you'll get bad randoms that just plain suck, don't know the raid mechanics or drop out all the time but then that's like EVERY OTHER MMO IN THE WORLD.

Eh, can you explain what you mean?
Because I don't think the answer is that you shouldn't make long, intense content for those willing (and able) to go the extra mile.

make it easier to drop out and regroup? make it possible to matchmake while in the raid? there's plenty of things that could be done without changing the overall feel of the content. I think I worded that poorly.

danm999

Yeah it's a pretty basic thing for an MMO.

WoW raids are totally PUGable with a few caveats, and those seem infinitely more complicated than Destiny's.

klonere

Banned

When a game like Dota or League relies almost entirely on random matchmaking for a game almost entirely based around teamwork, you know this is bullshit. You grind away at the public MM until you find a core group of good buddies to do stuff with. Making finding likeminded people a core part of the experience is going to turn away casual players who can't invest time into finding groups from scratch. Then again, Destiny seems to be specifically structured to turn away casual players which is bizarre given the marketing reach and costs involved in the making of that game.

Yeah, if someone is going into this content with randoms then they should know that they will probably be in for a bad time, it should be their choice if they want to do it not Bungies.

it's like... I'm old. my friends are old. it's not easy to organize 6 people out of a group of married people, some with kids. the only reason I ever got to do VoG was because one of my friends used one of those matchmaking websites

it's maybe less of an issue if it's an optional thing but when it's literally the best part of your game, it's such a monumentally dickish move to soft-block a portion of the audience for the sake of some vague "optimal experience"

--

the steam reviews for arkham knight look like a napalm strike

http://store.steampowered.com/app/208650/

giving that refund policy a workout

I saw one person in that thread suggesting that using a third party site wasn't really that bad, and I got sad. Real sad, like the person was so far in they didn't understand why that wasn't a solution. Other people said why they think having no lore/story in the game is ok, hell, why the grind is ok ("It's really rewarding when you get the thing you've been looking for!").

The early episodes of SAO are good. If it ended around 12, it would have been a good anime. But they went too far.

giving that refund policy a workout

As they should if the game doesn't work. Great to see that happening.

Ajzb.jpg

Heh.

What I really didn't like about that AK QL was how your driving from place to place could be interrupted by a homing car out of no where. From all the pre-release stuff, it seemed like the Batmobile was going to be real fast, but it looks jarring.

Boy this Arkham Knight QL is a slog, no fault of Brad or Jeff just this game isn't exciting...

truthfully, you edit out the batmobile stuff and it's looking a whole lot like AC 1.5. The whole Joker visions thing is such a huge copout, why bother having him die if he's going to play Loki to your Thor for a significant portion of the game? It's as if they didn't think their game could get by without a heavy dose of the guy.

Wonder if they decided to go all in on the Joker stuff or if someone at WB got cold feet at releasing a game with little to no Joker in it because it focus tested poorly.
I can now play Mortal Kombat at 4K, 60 FPS with no drops so hopefully Arkham City will be the same down the line. Have to settle for 4K, 30 for now ;-;

Well that's because High Voltage got kicked off the project and QLOC was brought in. And QLOC is a damn fine port house.

I can now play Mortal Kombat at 4K, 60 FPS with no drops so hopefully Arkham City will be the same down the line. Have to settle for 4K, 30 for now ;-;

And it really should be noted that like Brad said the quick look starts moments after the Joker elements are introduced. I've played a few hours past and he just just appears on buildings as you're flying around from time to time. It's not in your face.

Jothel

truthfully, you edit out the batmobile stuff and it's looking a whole lot like AC 1.5. The whole Joker visions thing is such a huge copout, why bother having him die if he's going to play Loki to your Thor for a significant portion of the game? It's as if they didn't think their game could get by without a heavy dose of the guy.

Wonder if they decided to go all in on the Joker stuff or if someone at WB got cold feet at releasing a game with little to no Joker in it because it focus tested poorly.
Yeah it's a shame because Asylum was a hell of a game

And it really should be noted that like Brad said the quick look starts moments after the Joker elements are introduced. I've played a few hours past and he just just appears on buildings as you're flying around from time to time. It's not in your face.
Good grief what's your setup?

Wonder if all this PC performance junk will affect Rocksteady in any way, or if they'll live up to their name.

AC takes such a terrible hit when the settings are maxed even to this day. the DX11 implementation was never optimized to a point of being competent so very few folks have ever ran that game @ 1080p 60 fps with everything on blast.

Oranges would take a performance hit if you set the PhysX stuff to max but that's par for the course regarding PhysX. Everything else could be set to max and it played beautifully. So it seems that for whatever reason the issues with the PC batman games seems to be related solely to the Rocksteady releases.

danm999

The chatter on twitter indicates Iron Galaxy Studios worked on the pc port.

Yeah there's a Steamdb page saying they worked on the PC version but it's a little unclear what exactly happened. Some people are saying they only worked on the Steamworks integration and others are saying the full port.

Nobody knows. We might never know.

As an expecting dad, I really wish Vinny got together with a few other dad's and did a podcast about becoming a father. He seems like a very good role model for us gamers. I know he has talked about it a few times, but I'd love a one off show (or a series) with some advice, a bit like Danswers where they don't feel obliged to talk about games, but with hosts with a bit more relevant life experience than Dan and Danny.

Make it happen Vinny, save my child to be.

Yeah there's a Steamdb page saying they worked on the PC version but it's a little unclear what exactly happened. Some people are saying they only worked on the Steamworks integration and others are saying the full port.

Nobody knows. We might never know.

They are mentioned in the credits of the pc port as well but yeah we don't know if they did the full port or not.

it's like... I'm old. my friends are old. it's not easy to organize 6 people out of a group of married people, some with kids. the only reason I ever got to do VoG was because one of my friends used one of those matchmaking websites

it's maybe less of an issue if it's an optional thing but when it's literally the best part of your game, it's such a monumentally dickish move to soft-block a portion of the audience for the sake of some vague "optimal experience"

Agreed. I traded in Destiny as soon as I hit 20 because I knew I would never see this content.

At least with games like WoW you can join communities IN the game to see some of the best content after a period of getting to know people etc.

Destiny expected you to have those groups and relationships with people in place already. A huge flaw in the design.

As for the £40 thing. It's just ridiculous.

As a current subscriber, I really wish Dan Ryckert and Drew Scanlon got together with Jason in the control room and did a video series about playing through the life of Solid Snake and friends. This seems like it would be a very good model for a video series for us gamers. I know drew has talked about it a few times, but I'd love a one off show (or a series) with some anime cutscenes, a bit like an Endurance Run where they don't feel obliged to pay attention to the on screen prompts but with maybe some popcorn for when things get a bit long winded, like in the Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

I hope they start on that game, MGS4, just feels like it would be pretty cool.

Cmon guys, MKX required at least 3 15 gb patches on the PC and it still wasn't up to snuff with the console version. It was so bad that the support for that PC port has shifted to another developer.

MKX PC is very clearly in the lead here.

Zaph

Wow, thanks. I will watch this tonight.

No problem. And don't forget this video where Brad shares his views with Vinny on raising children. It's very touching and informative

http://viewpure.com/CFaAj4WtKb4

Cmon guys, MKX required at least 3 15 gb patches on the PC and it still wasn't up to snuff with the console version. It was so bad that the support for that PC port has shifted to another developer.

MKX PC is very clearly in the lead here.

What are you talking about? It was an awesome port! Calling Ed Boon a liar?

FLC9Fn9.gif

popo

So was Taco Bell ruined to Dan by telling him everything has sour cream in it?

I genuinely hope it was.

Nah. He selectively memory edits anything that ruins his world view. To be fair if you define mayo as egg yolks and oil, sour cream as the product of a cow - nothing Taco Bell serves will include mayo or sour cream. It may contain emulsified fats, potato starch and water - which is sometimes sold as "mayo" and "sour cream dip" on store shelves :D

Yeah this and MKX is making a strong argument.

If you team up MK and Batman as "fucked Warner PC ports" then I think they already have it in the bag.

Rocksteady just mentioned "external PC development partner" in their forums so yeah most likely Iron galaxy worked on the port

I want to say "of course they'll shift the blame" but that might actually be the case here. I don't know, it would be weird to see them put out such a turd so close to KI coming to PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom