• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yawn. Better with nacho cheese.

I hope they cover some Rocket League this week during it's 2nd beta. That game is surprisingly awesome the more I play it.

Jintor

It's oft-repeated and always lame. They're not above criticism, especially when their decision making process is put on public display.

People are talking about "Oh they haaaaaave to play Witcher 3 or it won't have a chance at GOTY"

it's their GOTY, you only get in there if you appeal to them personally enough for them to play it, so

BanGy.nz

Banned
GOTY exists to prove that the game I like is objectively the bestest game. I'm a cool person and if other cool people like my game it means we're best friends forever.

GOTY is meaningless, It won't retroactively make any of the games on the list better so why the are we still talking about it 5 months later?. We should be talking about how Beastcast is a lie and is never going to happen..

Jintor

CEzbJh1W8AE--2E.jpg
thanks hotman

But you fight SO much of the same dudes in the same drab settings. For a bunch of guys who hate Dynasty Warriors, it was kind of like, 'what's the difference? Except this game is way fucking easier'

The difference is that in DW you never feel any kind of tension of you dying. The enemies are literal fodder and there's nothing to them. They might as well not be there. At least in Shadows, there's the potential of death if you do something stupid, actual punishment for just rushing blindly.

danm999

It's oft-repeated and always lame. They're not above criticism, especially when their decision making process is put on public display.

I don't understand the substance of the criticism though. They give the GOTY awards to, collectively, their favourite games.

If the criticism is, they should have different favourite games, I'm not sure that makes any sense.

KingKong

I don't understand the substance of the criticism though. They give the GOTY awards to, collectively, their favourite games.

If the criticism is, they should have different favourite games, I'm not sure that makes any sense.

I think the 'issue' (note I don't see any issue because I don't come to Giant Bomb for their videogame opinions) is the dichotomy between them having favourite games and them naming games best of the year. People naturally think that GOTY awards should take into consideration all the games that came out that year fairly and equally, but because Giant Bomb is just a handful of guys with their own personal tastes compared to IGN or something they end up either skipping or not caring as much for a lot of games

Really it's only annoying when they all ignore something like Dark Souls despite it being praised by literally every other game journalist and developer.

Patryn

I hope Brad or Jeff are reviewing Witcher 3. They need somebody on the podcast to be able to talk about it and during the 2011 GOTY the game got 0 discussion time because nobody gave it the time or even a shot.

I thought we went over this: Witcher 3 ain't getting a review at GB. I doubt anyone will even play much of it, much less finish it.

And all the coverage we are expecting from them is a Vinny tweet that the game came out or a 2 minute thing in the bombcast where they mention that the game came out and that none of them will ever play it?

Add a QL in, and yeah, that's pretty much what I expect it'll get.

Again: GB does not do RPGs, unless it's Souls, Elder Scrolls, Fallout or Mass Effect.

Actually Witcher 3 is the same day, so that will probably dominate the discussion?

Why? Who would play it?

Brad - Maybe. Keep in mind that he didn't finish Witcher 2. Not even sure he played much of it. Even if he did, I find he tends to not want to really get into gory details unless he's absolutely over the moon about a game or somebody else is willing to engage with him. Which leads me to....

Jeff - Didn't like Witcher 2. Doesn't like RPGs. In what world would he play it? The best chance for discussion from his end is if his girlfriend plays it.

Dan - Just lol.

Drew - You don't have to set up Track IR, make extensive diagrams of control schemes and it doesn't involve real-world combat. Or Sonic. So not going to happen.

Witcher 3 will likely only get 5-10 minutes of discussion, and barely be mentioned again.

Patryn

I will say, for those wanting coverage of Witcher 3, the one realistic possibility would be Vinny videos for GBeast.

I can see him proposing a series to allow him a chance to actually play it given that I doubt he'd have the time at home.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Someone avatar bet patryn because he's going in hard on the minimal witcher 3 coverage agenda

Patryn

Someone avatar bet patryn because he's going in hard on the minimal witcher 3 coverage agenda

I consider it setting expectations correctly.

I'm also a little mystified why people are suddenly expecting Giant Bomb to start deep coverage of RPGs when they've never really done that.

What I'm basically trying to lay out is that you should look at the amount of coverage Dragon Age Inquisition got and you can probably draw a rough corollary to the amount of coverage Witcher 3 will get.

That being said, watch Brad come back with a Video Review of Witcher 3, and then we get a full playthrough series of it. Just to spite me.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I consider it setting expectations correctly.

I'm also a little mystified why people are suddenly expecting Giant Bomb to start deep coverage of RPGs when they've never really done that.

What I'm basically trying to lay out is that you should look at the amount of coverage Dragon Age Inquisition got and you can probably draw a rough corollary to the amount of coverage Witcher 3 will get.

That being said, watch Brad come back with a Video Review of Witcher 3, and then we get a full playthrough series of it. Just to spite me.

I think you're probably right, so I wouldn't bet against you.

The last part is why it would be interesting though - your conviction would make it all the more hilarious if they all fell in love with it and sang it's praises from now til goty :p

Oxirane

Yeah, with VinnyVania and the upcoming Kerbal series GBEast already have a lot planned.

The Kerbal Space Race between GBEast (Vinny, Alex) and GBWest (Drew, Dan) means Jeff, Brad and Jason are free to do Monster Hunter multiplayer. (Ian can join in to help Jason carry the other two).

Myggen

That's the second 10 of 2015, isn't it?

Kind of shocking, given that they've only given out 9 total.

More games will get 10s now that they're only doing a 10 point system. It was extremely rare previously because they were rating stuff on a 100 point scale. A game that would previously get a 9.6 will now get a 10, at least in theory.

More games will get 10s now that they're only doing a 10 point system. It was extremely rare previously because they were rating stuff on a 100 point scale. A game that would previously get a 9.6 will now get a 10, at least in theory.

It's still really rare. Last one was Bayonetta 2 last year, and before that Galaxy 2 in 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom