• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

daydream

Banned
someone wake me up when we're talking about literally anything else

this kojima classic arrived today

AzmisnI.jpg

Jintor

Splatoon was a lot of fun but I got bored of that one map before the hour playtime was even up, I think it's going to bomb so hard that people look back fondly on the days of Wonderful 101's bright sales outlook. Unfortunate in a way but I also kind of really hope it bites Nintendo hard for how much they've screwed up the online multiplayer part of their online multiplayer focused title.

i kinda know what you mean but I played all three hours (including the one where I had to get up at 4am) and thirst for more. every hour completely flew by. the demo at least is an incredible piece of game design and it's so weird what nintendo's doing with all the stuff surrounding it.

except the lack of voice chat i TOTALLY get that. jesus christ i hate people with microphones on every game except tf2

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Uh Oh, the review thread discovered that Jeff's GOTY last year was Call of Duty, and are now calling for him to step away from game reviews.

This is always so dumb

Their opinion is not necessarily a bad one for them to personally hold - a guy choosing cod for goty might not align with their video game preferences at all and that's totally cool. So... just don't follow that person's reviews then? End of story.

Uh Oh, the review thread discovered that Jeff's GOTY last year was Call of Duty, and are now calling for him to step away from game reviews.

Review threads are among the worst on NeoGaf, especially prerelease. As excited as I am for the Witcher 3 and how much my tastes differ from Jeff's, I'll still never understand the emotional response to review or opinions.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Jeff is the anti-me when it comes to taste in games.
He only likes lame and dorky games, I only like cool and hip games.

EDIT: GO AND PLAY YOUR CALL OF DOOTY JEFF LOLOLOLO

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
You could just mute everyone. Nintendo is so ridiculous with their options. You're lucky if you get a volume slider.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
i kinda know what you mean but I played all three hours (including the one where I had to get up at 4am) and thirst for more. every hour completely flew by. the demo at least is an incredible piece of game design and it's so weird all the stuff surrounding it.

except the lack of voice chat i TOTALLY get that. jesus christ i hate people with microphones on every game except tf2

I guess, I just jumped in during the third session and by the time I was tired of playing that map it was only 35 minutes in. I don't love the way the gyro controls work (why does the stick only offer horizontal movement, can't it just be used for grand sweeps in any direction with the gyro for precision?) but I adapted by the time I was just bored of it. With the way they're handling the online rollout there's literally zero chance I ever look at the game before August, and I just don't expect any community worth speaking about to last the summer.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
i kinda know what you mean but I played all three hours (including the one where I had to get up at 4am) and thirst for more. every hour completely flew by. the demo at least is an incredible piece of game design and it's so weird what nintendo's doing with all the stuff surrounding it.

Those games do give you the option to turn it off.

Do review threads ever go smoothly?

I loved what I played of splatoon but the voice chat stuff is dumb and I'm someone who immediately mutes everyone.

I guess, I just jumped in during the third session and by the time I was tired of playing that map it was only 35 minutes in. I don't love the way the gyro controls work (why does the stick only offer horizontal movement, can't it just be used for grand sweeps in any direction with the gyro for precision?) but I adapted by the time I was just bored of it. With the way they're handling the online rollout there's literally zero chance I ever look at the game before August, and I just don't expect any community worth speaking about to last the summer.

There were two maps in the beta!

Jintor

You could just mute everyone. Nintendo is so ridiculous with their options. You're lucky if you get a volume slider.

if they had to implement voice chat i would have mute default because muting everybody every 3 minute round would be a major pain in the ass. but then you get problems with people not opting into voice chat and you just speaking into the void.

it's the party/friends list voice chat stuff I don't get. that makes complete sense to me to implement, you're not going to friends list people you don't want to chat to, presumably. maybe they're waiting for their mobile whatever the hell they're doing to go through, I don't know.

danm999

lol the witcher 3 review thread is pretty great right now

guys, jeff is jaded. did you know?

It's turning into the Giant Bomb State of the Union in there and I'm just gonna repeat my prediction some mods are gonna start nuking that thread.

M3z_

Did Patrick engage with any RPG that wasn't Divinity? I feel like people remember him being a RPG fan just because of literally that one game. Going by his Twitter and YT channel, he hasn't really expanded that into a love for other CRPGs and similar games.

Patrick definitely put in an honest effort into games he traditionally did not expect were to his tastes. He played Divinity as mentioned, Fire Emblem, Dragon Grandpa, 999, went back to retry Dark Souls after initially not being sucked in, Witcher 2, Monster Hunter, and those are just the game I can remember because he ended up liking them. There are things he tried outside his comfort zone that didn't click as well, one that I can remember off the top of my head is Etrian Odyssey, but there are others.

Though you can't criticize Jeff for not playing games outside his normal likes when he literally has now put time into both a Witcher game and a Souls game in the same year. Not liking something is totally different from not trying it.

Myggen

If it's a game people are pretty indifferent to, they do. If it's a game that has an insane amount of hype they rarely do. People pile on the one dissenting reviewer (Uncharted 3, never forget) in threads like that, and if it gets universal praise people who dislike the game will jump in to start shit.

Jintor

With the way they're handling the online rollout there's literally zero chance I ever look at the game before August, and I just don't expect any community worth speaking about to last the summer.

I have no way of predicting what will happen really but i just hope you're dead wrong because god damn is that game fun

Have people accepted that different people have different tastes?

well clearly the reviewers brought in their own biases and past experiences into their review so it's not a pure representation of the objective quality of this title

obviously there's only one objectively correct numerical value that represents this game's intrinsic value, so everybody else is wrong.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I have no way of predicting what will happen really but i just hope you're dead wrong because god damn is that game fun

The base game deserves better, I just don't understand how you build and keep an online community with such sparse content and missing fundamental features like playing together in a party.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
This is always so dumb

Their opinion is not necessarily a bad one for them to personally hold - a guy choosing cod for goty might not align with their video game preferences at all and that's totally cool. So... just don't follow that person's reviews then? End of story.
"If Jeff leaves maybe that means there is going to be a spot open for a new reviewer! Surely people will love my opinions!"

That's my not so secret idea on why people hate Jeff and want him to leave. They just really love the smell of their own farts and can't wait for everyone else to get a whiff.

That's the true secret behind review threads. A bunch of people fartin into a can and then huffing from it.

Jintor

The base game deserves better, I just don't understand how you build and keep an online community with such sparse content and missing fundamental features like playing together in a party.

I'm trying to remember how my early tf2 experiences were like, but then again, that was... jesus, like 7 years ago at this point.

tbh i've never really used friends list that much or party-based stuff, but i'm a pc gamer and an outlier regarding multiplayer shooters so *shrug*

danm999

well clearly the reviewers brought in their own biases and past experiences into their review so it's not a pure representation of the objective quality of this title

obviously there's only one objectively correct numerical value that represents this game's intrinsic value, so everybody else is wrong.

I do enjoy when Jeff talks about back in the day at GS they broke their backs trying to "objectively" review games and figure out complicated formulas and weightings to come as close as they could to a neutral perspective (whatever that was) and people would still just automatically look at a score they didn't like and go "whatever you hack press sneak fucks".

I'm pretty much at the point of "Jesus christ who fucking cares."

I'm at this point with a lot of discussion on or in regards to GB.

this kojima classic arrived today

Yeee. Good choice.

Review threads are among the worst on NeoGaf, especially prerelease. As excited as I am for the Witcher 3 and how much my tastes differ from Jeff's, I'll still never understand the emotional response to review or opinions.

The Bayo 2 thread was pretty fucking hilarious because of how many perfect scores it got. People who were outside Platinum's culture were confused as fuck and people inside were losing their minds from the hype.

M3z_

If Jeff not liking the game means coverage plans got shifted to GBeast for Wither 3 then I would think people would be pleased with that. Especially if Vinny decides to have one of his come watch me play this game at work on stream because I can't play it otherwise streams. Give me as much video of Vinny playing Witcher 3 as possible.

I decided to pop over to that thread because of you guys talking about it, holy fuck what a mistake that was.

They're acting like he already reviewed the game!

Patryn

jimmies are definitely being rustled

Jeff's tweet was the first major negative statement about the game, and in Review Threads (especially pre-release review threads for major games in which most reviews are positive) there is always a "Burn the witch!" mentality that dominates as soon as a negative opinion surfaces.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, you are right. Vinny + open world game + fan of the series + livestream? That would be a godlike combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom