• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

It's still really rare. Last one was Bayonetta 2 last year, and before that Galaxy 2 in 2010.

They were rating on a 20 point scale when Galaxy 2 got released. I think they began with a 10 point scale mid 2013 or something. They still don't give it out very often, but I expect them to give it out more frequently now that they just rate on a 1-10 scale.

Anyways, gonna buy Witcher 3 even though there's probably no chance that I'll finish it.

Patryn

the Witcher 3 review thread is eating it all up :D

it's the last of us all over again

GAF* loves Souls and GAF* loves the Witcher. Not sure what you expected.

What do you mean? Is The Last of Us now terrible?

Guessing he's talking about confirmation bias?

*By saying GAF I am not implying GAF as a whole. There is no singular hivemind at GAF despite what people think. My saying GAF is simply implying that there is an extremely vocal contingent that will bring up and defend these series, even when they are not the topic of conversation.

Fox318

I thought we went over this: Witcher 3 ain't getting a review at GB. I doubt anyone will even play much of it, much less finish it.

Add a QL in, and yeah, that's pretty much what I expect it'll get.

Again: GB does not do RPGs, unless it's Souls, Elder Scrolls, Fallout or Mass Effect.

Why? Who would play it?

Brad - Maybe. Keep in mind that he didn't finish Witcher 2. Not even sure he played much of it. Even if he did, I find he tends to not want to really get into gory details unless he's absolutely over the moon about a game or somebody else is willing to engage with him. Which leads me to....

Jeff - Didn't like Witcher 2. Doesn't like RPGs. In what world would he play it? The best chance for discussion from his end is if his girlfriend plays it.

Dan - Just lol.

Drew - You don't have to set up Track IR, make extensive diagrams of control schemes and it doesn't involve real-world combat. Or Sonic. So not going to happen.

Witcher 3 will likely only get 5-10 minutes of discussion, and barely be mentioned again.
Thing is I'd put Witcher up with Mass Effect and Elder Scrolls.

This game is already getting too much positive media coverage for them to just pass it off while Brad plays Destiny and Dota or Jeff complains about the state of hd rerelases while ignoring a fantastic game.

Patryn

This game is already getting too much positive media coverage for them to just pass it off while Brad plays Destiny and Dota or Jeff complains about the state of hd rerelases while ignoring a fantastic game.

Bayonetta 2 got a 10.

How much coverage did that get?

At this point, I guess we'll just have to see who is right.

Myggen

They talked about it on a Bombcast a couple of weeks ago. Brad's going to play it (and is probably already playing it), Jeff will too due to being curious about the huge world they've created even though the beginning of Witcher 2 put him off that game.

I just want them to play it so we don't have to read 7 months of fans bitching about them not playing it, like with TLoU.

Bayonetta 2 got a 10.

As I said, going by them talking about it on a Bombcast, they're gonna play it. How much they play of it will depend on if they like it or not, Jeff especially. If it gets a ton of post release coverage remains to be seen. I don't care either way.

Fox318

Bayonetta 2 got a 10.

Didn't Alex and Patrick both talk nonstop about that game?

Also lets face it, it was on the Wii U which I'm sure is collecting dust for most of the staff if they aren't playing something like Smash or a Mario game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm pretty much at the point of "Jesus christ who fucking cares."

Just wait and see how the coverage pans out and then lodge (or don't) your complaints instead of making up arguments based entirely on hypotheticals.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Gamespot comments remind me to keep things in perspective. I was almost duped by that official 10/10.

I watched this game 5 minutes on Twitch, and I immediately knew it is no better than a 7. Slow combat, useless magic, and boring combat. You'd think a game that has 100+ hours of gameplay, would include a challenging combat. But it's far from it.

7 it is then. At best.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The beginning of The Witcher 2 is so bad, though. The patched-in tutorial makes it even worse, I think. And in the end, almost none of it matters. There are 2-3 difficult fights in the whole game.

Myggen

I'm pretty much at the point of "Jesus christ who fucking cares."

Just wait and see how the coverage pans out and then lodge (or don't) your complaints instead of making up arguments based entirely on hypotheticals.

BUT THINK OF THE GOTY AWARDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSzzzzzz.

danm999

Gamespot comments remind me to keep things in perspective. I was almost duped by that official 10/10.

7 it is then. At best.

There is some amazing stuff going on in the GAF review thread as well that I'm convinced is going to end in some bans :p

Honestly, Witcher 3 is just...meh. Like, I get it's getting positive reviews and coverage, but it's no Mass Effect or Elder Scrolls. Heck, I don't think I've heard the GB team fawn over Witcher 2 or 1, so I doubt their coverage of 3 will be significant.

Megasoum

Banned
Where there you go

Jeff Gerstmann
‏@jeffgerstmann
Was hoping Witcher 3 would grab me after everyone kept going nuts for it during preview coverage, but it didn't.

Patryn

7 it is then. At best.

Arguing about the amount of coverage is one thing, but this is just infuriating. I'm not making any comments on the quality of the game, just trying to extrapolate trends from the people at GB.

It's also extremely disrespectful to CDPR. I mean, god damn, until you've actually played the game you can't really judge it.

Honestly, Witcher 3 is just...meh. Like, I get it's getting positive reviews and coverage, but it's no Mass Effect or Elder Scrolls. Heck, I don't think I've heard the GB team fawn over Witcher 2 or 1, so I doubt their coverage of 3 will be significant.

Vinny did. Remember, he read the books! In Italian, even!

Patrick also beat and loved Witcher 2, I believe.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
why doesn't Jeff like video games

e5TXWbo.png

Fox318

Arguing about the amount of coverage is one thing, but this is just infuriating. I'm not making any comments on the quality of the game, just trying to extrapolate trends from the people at GB.

It's also extremely disrespectful to CDPR. I mean, god damn, until you've actually played the game you can't really judge it.

Vinny did. Remember, he read the books! In Italian, even!

Patrick also beat and loved Witcher 2, I believe.

Ryan also enjoyed the WItcher 2 IIRC.

Not exactly surprising considering he didn't really get into The Witcher 2. I would have been a little surprised if he actually liked 3, just because it is seemingly a lot like 2.

Haunted

Witcher is this week's big release. GB tends to cover those in some way (can't shake those Gamespot roots).

Vinny will definitely play it because he knows how good these games are, at least one other person in the SF office will also play it.

You won't get in-depth discussion of the game on the Bombcast because no one on the cast really engages with RPGs on that level since Klepek went away.

Maybe if Rorie comes on as a guest.

Jeff is just mad Gamespot says this game is as good as Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3 when it clearly isnt.

Can you do reverts in The Witcher 3? NO!

Yeah, I don't think he ever liked a long RPG.

He liked the fallout games. And I dont think he has a problem with the other Bethesda games.

Man Does Bep Gerstan Even Like Video Games Any More I Mean Come On Every Time My Fave Pre-Ordered Game Comes Out He Says "this is TERRIBLE SHIT"

Jintor

Time for the Splatoon camp to start making their move!

I have zero hope for splatoon and giant bomb because to hope is only to invite disappointment :T

Myggen

Witcher is this week's big release. GB tends to cover those in some way (can't shake those Gamespot roots).

Vinny will definitely play it because he knows how good these games are, at least one other person in the SF office will also play it.

You won't get in-depth discussion of the game on the Bombcast because no one on the cast really engages with RPGs on that level since Klepek went away.

Maybe if Rorie comes on as a guest.

Did Patrick engage with any RPG that wasn't Divinity? I feel like people remember him being a RPG fan just because of literally that one game. Going by his Twitter and YT channel, he hasn't really expanded that into a love for other CRPGs and similar games.

Patryn

Comes out next week. Not sure when video embargo ends.

I'd set the over/under for the QL at 90 minutes.

Did Patrick engage with any RPG that wasn't Divinity? I feel like people remember him being a RPG fan just because of literally that one game. Going by his Twitter and YT channel, he hasn't really expanded that into a love for other CRPGs and similar games.

Fire Emblem and the aforementioned Witcher 2.

In general though, Patrick was really good at trying games outside his normal wheelhouse.

It's a virtue that is lacking in the SF office currently.

Jeff's take on the Witcher 3 isn't surprising. He did enjoy Skyrim but outside of that he rarely seems interested in fantasy settings in general. D&D, Dragon Age, LOTR, Game of Thrones, I would have been surprised if the Witcher universe grabbed him.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
No wonder he's not into the Witcher 3, there's nary an assault rifle to be found

Can't aim down swords with left trigger, useless game

Time for the Splatoon camp to start making their move!

I have zero hope for splatoon and giant bomb because to hope is only to invite disappointment :T

Splatoon was a lot of fun but I got bored of that one map before the hour playtime was even up, I think it's going to bomb so hard that people look back fondly on the days of Wonderful 101's bright sales outlook. Unfortunate in a way but I also kind of really hope it bites Nintendo hard for how much they've screwed up the online multiplayer part of their online multiplayer focused title.

tchocky

He liked the Bethesda games and Witcher 2.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Does there exist a retail game for PS4/Xbone that doesn't have RPG elements? That stuff has infected everything...

bigkrev

Uh Oh, the review thread discovered that Jeff's GOTY last year was Call of Duty, and are now calling for him to step away from game reviews.

After the way Dragon Age Inquisition played out (wild hype that suddenly turned into backlash and complaints a month or two after release), I'm still in wait-and-see mode with Witcher 3. I have high hopes though.

Also review threads are the worst things on NeoGAF and the less we talk about them here the better but I'm not going to stop y'all if you wanna do that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom