• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

I'm just now finishing the Day 3 E3 Live show, and this segment with Adam Boyes, Johnny V, and Dave Lang may be one of the best things I've seen on Giant Bomb, ever.

Myggen

The DMC 4 remaster looks okay, but I have no need to play that game ever again. The combat is incredible, the level design and pacing is garbage.

demidar

The DMC 4 remaster looks okay, but I have no need to play that game ever again. The combat is incredible, the level design and pacing is garbage.

I've been playing Vergil and Jesus H. Christ he is amazing.

Vergil can teleport cancel almost everything giving him amazing mobility and combat options.

They had eyes. Anyone who had seen videogames for most of their lives could tell that shit wasn't realtime. I knew instantly.

Yes, it was my first time seeing anything pretending to be on a new console that couldn't possibly exist at the time too. And yet somehow I knew.

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

if you want to argue that the combat in DMC4 is better than the reboot, then I'd be willing to listen, but, man, reboot is so much better of an actual game

All of those pre PS3 demos were really too good to be true. And I don't get the sense that Sony was outright lying with those trailers, just that they had much bigger ambitions regarding the tech in the PS3 than what they eventually settled on. Even Kojima was in on it, with those early MGS4 demos being of a much higher fidelity than what we eventually got.

In defense of Sony and Kojima, all of the games they showed off with those target demos ended up being terrific looking games at release. They just weren't close to the things we saw originally. Made playing Resistance 1 feel weird given that it just looked like a late gen PS2 game running in a higher res.

i mean

the definitive edition of DmC had a changelog that was like 10+ pages of "we made the combat more like 3 and 4 because the fans were right, that's better"

I said I was willing to listen ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I actually liked the level design though, unlike 4, which was just something to drag yourself through to get to the next fight.

oh my god i just saw the Destiny Red Bull thing

jesus christ

When future generations ask how this game got passed over for most disappointing title in favor of an Ubisoft game everyone had written off a year before, we can only answer with silence and shame

oh wait

so this is an "extra" mission for the upcoming expansion that people are already doubting has enough content to justify its price tag

ok, yeah, that's pretty gross

oh my god i just saw the Destiny Red Bull thing

jesus christ

When future generations ask how this game got passed over for most disappointing title in favor of an Ubisoft game everyone had written off a year before, we can only answer with silence and shame

It's just that coming off of Destiny's anemic launch content, then followed by Desiny's anemic season pass, then topped off by Destiny's upcoming $40 expansion that rewards newcomers but includes items that seem to be there just to force a double dip from the hardcore players.

and now a red bull quest that isn't included in the expensive $40 expansion pack.

I mean fuck, I was one of the folks who held off of Destiny because I wanted to wait for some sort of GOTY or Ultimate collection type of thing so i felt like i was getting my money's worth but this shit just seems like a new low and i don't think i can support it.

Allow me to quote myself:

Sleeping Lesson said:
Watch Dogs may have won for Most Disappointing game, but Destiny is far more memorable in its disappointingness, and has continued to disappoint for months after its release.

The more I see about Destiny the more it just seems like some kind of drug mentality. Give as little addictive product as possible so you're just craving for anything new and you'll pay just about anything for any little piece of that product to come along. You'll be pissed about it but you'll still buy it because the game you have now is addictive, but it isn't enough, so you have to get more. But it costs too much because I'll barely be getting much more than I already have, but ahhhhhh fuck it I'll buy it. Fuck you bungie.

Zaph

oh wait

so this is an "extra" mission for the upcoming expansion that people are already doubting has enough content to justify its price tag

ok, yeah, that's pretty gross
Yeah. Activision is really testing the elasticity of value with Destiny and I fear a lot of other publishers are watching carefully.

Taken at face value, it's not that big a deal, but when you consider the impact shit like Horse Armour had on a generation (and continues to have), you can't let anything slide.

omg

Why was Watch Dogs more disappointing to them then Destiny again? I remember they had reasons and it wasnt just Brad strong arming like he did with Destiny in the top 10.

Man... Destiny. What a bummer you are.

Why was Watch Dogs more disappointing to them then Destiny again? I remember they had reasons and it wasnt just Brad strong arming like he did with Destiny in the top 10.

Man... Destiny. What a bummer you are.

Because at least destiny's gun play is fucking fantastic.

Watch_dogs does nothing in particular very well. It looks like butt, it plays like a pretty terrible GTA knockoff, it's bloated, its missions all end the same way with you trying to get the cops off your tail, the story is garbage, the main character is a sociopath who has 0 redeeming qualities...

I could go on. In defense of destiny, the parts of it that work are exceptional. Watch Dogs does nothing well and does several things piss poorly.

You've made an argument that Watch Dogs is a worse game, not that it was more disappointing. It was clear before release that Watch Dogs was not the game anyone thought it could be.

Destiny came out and there was this palpable period of disbelief: How could this be the game? What happened? Surely this can't be all there is.

The more I see about Destiny the more it just seems like some kind of drug mentality. Give as little addictive product as possible so you're just craving for anything new and you'll pay just about anything for any little piece of that product to come along. You'll be pissed about it but you'll still buy it because the game you have now is addictive, but it isn't enough, so you have to get more. But it costs too much because I'll barely be getting much more than I already have, but ahhhhhh fuck it I'll buy it. Fuck you bungie.

lol evilore

demidar

Yeah, disappointment isn't what is qualitatively worse, it's the gap between expectation and reality.

I've never been on the Destiny hype train though (and I haven't even played the game) so I can't say how disappointing it is, just that everything surrounding it has been handled very poorly this week.

You've made an argument that Watch Dogs is a worse game, not that it was more disappointing. It was clear before release that Watch Dogs was not the game anyone thought it could be.

Destiny came out and there was this palpable period of disbelief: How could this be the game? What happened? Surely this can't be all there is.
Watch dogs had the burden of being the first game of the newgen that folks expected to be the game that ushers in the new generation of gaming. From what was shown early on, people were expecting the game to be the Gears 1 or the MGS2 of this era, a game that just seemed a step above everything else we had seen before.

When compared to where the expectations were the game we got was just a mediocre ass game that did nothing that couldn't be done in any previous gen outside of just looking a bit sharper on the new machines. Destiny definitely looked like a game that was pushing the current gen and its gun play is leagues better than most FPS games and especially good when you compare it to the game that's most similar to it conceptually, the borderlands games. It's just incredibly uneven.

I just think the apex of Watch Dog's hype was well before it came out. It was one of the first "downgrade" controversies, and that was pre-release. People were wary from that point on.

Destiny was unreasonably hyped straight up until release. Remember the "Destiny beta withdrawal" thread? Then the game came out and everyone realized they'd seen everything Destiny has to offer.

I feel like there was already warning signs Watch Dogs was a bit of a train wreck once it was pushed form launch though. And even looking back on it now the worst I can say about Watch dogs is its completely forgettable.

Destiny though played everyone like a damn fiddle right until release. The beta was super fun if a bit basic but you though "hey its just a beta. Cant wait to see this fleshed out when I see the actual story and play more missions, side quests, see some characters and stuff". Then the finished game came out and you saw the Beta was actually just the first third of the game and nothing was changed. It has no story, it has no characters and the concept of a side mission doesnt exist in it.

Watch dogs had the burden of being the first game of the newgen that folks expected to be the game that ushers in the new generation of gaming. From what was shown early on, people were expecting the game to be the Gears 1 or the MGS2 of this era, a game that just seemed a step above everything else we had seen before.

Unless you knew some really gullible ass people, nobody honestly thought Watch_Dogs would be the fucking MGS2 of the new gen.

What I remember from Watch_Dogs is people thinking that it was a neat looking idea for a new IP with great graphics during an E3 with fuck all else interesting, and already being disappointed when the guns showed up at the end of the demo and hoping that the hacking street lights and bridge stuff wouldn't be as formulaic as it would be. Then the second it got delayed and started showing up as real gameplay, hype dropping dramatically as people realized it was an Ubisoft game.

Destiny was a game where people were still in denial about what it even after it came out was because their brains refused to accept how disappointing it was.

http://imgur.com/a/mhSNp

Wooooow this is disgusting. Fuck you bungie. And...red bull I guess.

There are plenty of people in that thread who have no problem supporting this practice apparently

Between the investment alot of people have to Destiny(Me included), and the addictive properties of the game...we have no problem because well..it's an addiction at this point. I'm considering buying a stupid can or something. Fuck.

I find any first-person shooter that has to be played with a controller to lack tight gunplay, but doesn't the "great gamplay" make it more disappointing? Like, imagine the gameplay of Destiny but in a good game!

Brad Tumblr:

We had a Nintendo guest lined up that we felt really good about, but that fell through at the last minute due to uninteresting logistical factors. As for Sony: got that Boyes, son!

I'm gonna guess Bill Trinen. Or maybe Nate from Treehouse. Too bad this didn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom