• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

danm999

Jeff's tweet was the first major negative statement about the game, and in Review Threads (especially pre-release review threads for major games in which most reviews are positive) there is always a "Burn the witch!" mentality that dominates as soon as a negative opinion surfaces.

Yep, IIRC there was a Bloodborne review at 7.5 or something that got a similar treatment.

The base game deserves better, I just don't understand how you build and keep an online community with such sparse content and missing fundamental features like playing together in a party.

The party play reads to me like the team wanting that feature in but Nintendo, being Nintendo, not wanting to sacrifice precious Wii U game development time enough to devote resources to it before launch.

I've had a weird feeling about the content stuff ever since that Nintendo Direct because they've consistently shown more a lot more content than will be at launch in videos and screens going back months (or even back to the reveal trailer). Which makes me strongly believe that they're deliberately staggering out the release of maps and the like (that may be very much finished already) to keep initial buyers playing the game with constant promises of "DON'T STOP PLAYING, SQUIDS, WE'VE GOT AN INK-REDIBLE NEW UPDATE NEXT WEEK!!"

Which could be one part anti-used games, one part "this is how you build a multiplayer community, right????", and one part "We want to hide gaps in the Wii U schedule with DLC packs for our multiplayer games."

Megasoum

Banned
Also, FYI about the quicklook

anonymous asked:
Hey Jeff, when will we see a quick look for the Witcher 3? Bonus question: do you think Bethesda will stick with the Skyrim engine (heavily upgraded/modified of course) for Fallout 4? thanks

No sooner than release day. The embargo is all specific about the split between reviews and gameplay videos.

Jintor

The party play reads to me like the team wanting that feature in but Nintendo, being Nintendo, not wanting to sacrifice precious Wii U game development time enough to devote resources to it before launch.

I've had a weird feeling about the content stuff ever since that Nintendo Direct because they've consistently shown more a lot more content than will be at launch in videos and screens going back months (or even back to the reveal trailer). Which makes me strongly believe that they're deliberately staggering out the release of maps and the like (that may be very much finished already) to keep initial buyers playing the game with constant promises of "DON'T STOP PLAYING, SQUIDS, WE'VE GOT AN INK-REDIBLE NEW UPDATE NEXT WEEK!!"

Which could be one part anti-used games, one part "this is how you build a multiplayer community, right????", and one part "We want to hide gaps in the Wii U schedule with DLC packs for our multiplayer games."

It's kind of shit but I can't deny that it's working. Of course if this was just another shooter I wouldn't give it the time of day, but the hook is so damn strong

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

The party play thing was what made me change from "Wow that's a terrible rollout strategy" to "Wait, is this fucking game done?"

If it weren't for that, I might have just said their awful idea with the maps and modes was just another awful Nintendo idea. They're great at coming up with those and getting in the way of their games. But "We're adding party play three months after release" is the equivalent of airhorns, flashing lights, and a computer voice screaming "WARNING" over and over.

danm999

I for one can't believe Jeff gave such a low score of "Not being grabbed" to the Witcher 3.

We just need Dan to get on Twitter and say Geralt looks like a sickly soccer player and that the Witcher does not seem like a cool game for cool dudes and we can burn this internet down.

Quentyn

Context? Been following these nutters since last year.

Jeff gave Twilight Princess a 8.8. People were not pleased.

2022215-4dn4ihh.jpg

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Jeff should just post a Witcher 3 review and give it 4,3 Stars.

We just need Dan to get on Twitter and say Geralt looks like a sickly soccer player and that the Witcher does not seem like a cool game for cool dudes and we can burn this internet down.

Dan hates fantasy games, so that might actually happen.

Risible

Also, I think it's totally worth it all for the Hottest Mess/Most Disappointing/Please Stop/Worst Game awards.

Exactly. It's not about finding out which game is the best, it's all about the journey. Who will betray who? Will Brad filibuster? What stupid shit will be said, what hilarious shit will Jeff and Vinny spout, etc.

It's not informative in nature but rather just entertainment.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Isn't it amazing though?
The game get's near perfect scores from everybody, but one guy tweeting "Eh, it didn't grab me" is enough to destroy the entire thread. Image if he actually reviewed it.

Fucking lol.

Now the thread is arguing about how to dig a hole.

That's really fitting, actually

Yeah, now that the mods updated the thread title, I think it might be a good idea to steer clear of any involvement.

What if he actually reviewed it and gave it an 8. Oh my god if we could get a repeat of that TP thing I'd lose it.

Myggen

Yes in retrospect Jeff's review was right on the money which made it all the more impressive he was able to rise above the BS.

If you go back to read the reactions, you'll see so many people dismissing Jeff's comments about the Wii's motion controls being unnecessary and just a hassle (before they had touched the game). Contrast that with how the original Wiimote is viewed today.

I think history has shown that Jeff was right, if not generous with the 8.8 for Twilight Princess.

That is a game that would hover between or 3/5 or a 4/5 today.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Guys i hear Jeff thinks Bloodborne is allright while The Witcher 3 is garbage, funny you would think is the other way around crazy world..

Risible

When are people going to learn that the last place you go for an objective review is Giant Bomb? I mean, they have stated that over and over and over throughout the years. Jeff will be the first to tell you that GB is the last place to go for an "objective" review.

Also, Vinny's face at the end of this GIF is priceless.

Myggen

Jeff's 8.8 is iconic. People even use that review to complain about Jeff even if they don't know it was Jeff that wrote it

It's probably the most famous/infamous review and score of all time. I don't think any review has gotten that kind of reaction before or after. Eurogamer's Uncharted 3 review is probably the closest here on GAF, but I doubt many people still remember that review. And that reaction was mostly confined to GAF.

bizarrely that thread and people flipping out about the tweet just prompted me to go through and prune about half of my twitter follow list. even people who I genuinely like who use it as a platform to talk about depressing things or complain a lot.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Twilight Princess was probably a good game, I'll just never really know because I only played the version where button presses were replaced by motions resembling what your arm does when you are caught by an unexpected sneeze.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
When are people going to learn that the last place you go for an objective review is Giant Bomb? I mean, they have stated that over and over and over throughout the years. Jeff will be the first to tell you that GB is the last place to go for an "objective" review.

Also, Vinny's face at the end of this GIF is priceless.

There is really no such thing as a review that is objective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom