• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
Looks like the Steam Refunds policy did its job.

Too bad I bought it on Nuuvem...I wish I could get a refund and buy it on PS4 instead.

Get ready for E3 2016 stories about how Dave Lang had to tell every publisher he talked to about how this wasn't Iron Galaxy's fault.

Maybe this whole Johnny V tweeting out Lang's phone number was a false flag operation to cover for being mysteriously unavailable when all this PC port shit went down!

#scoops

Get ready for E3 2016 stories about how Dave Lang had to tell every publisher he talked to about how this wasn't Iron Galaxy's fault.

How did Iron Galaxy get thrown into the mix anyways? I imagine they handled the packaging of the port data into the package but...goddamn. This sucks for Dave Lang.

I got a email from twitter that I found kind of funny.

xG3Ehdx.png

Zaph

Fark I wish they did that before I spent my money. At least GMG will give refunds eventually.

Now that the game has been pulled, I imagine the first patch (and inevitable 're-launch') is a ways off. Wonder if they'll change that policy considering the news?

They're in the steam database listing with the game, so it's assumed they worked on the port.

Yeah, it's a huge assumption that they're singlehandedly responsible for the port. Which I mean....it's not a foreign concept that companies hire 3rd part companies to put together a port job...and WB has precedent for it(High Voltage for MK9...that was a disaster).

It's like holy shit, WB is not catching a break with PC ports. I'm surprised Shadow of Mordor turned out all right. I hope someone Youtubes Jeff talking about it on Mixlr.

Fox318

I feel like GB should record a breaking news podcast on the Batman and Destiny stories.

I know they have the Beastcast but I feel like Jeff might have insight on both stories.

interesting

Wouldn't be shocking if thats what is going on.

While also doing full ports, Iron Galaxy also does sometimes come in at the end of a project just to help get it over the finish line and free up the core team to do bigger jobs rather then worry about the minor optimizations.

I think they did that for Bioshock Infinite on PS3.

Irrational did 90% of the work. IG was just hired to get the framerate up to snuff. Same with Destiny on PS3 I think. Most of the work was done at Bungie with IG helping out with their PS3 porting expertise.

Actually come to think of it. Has Iron Galaxy done many PC ports / worked on many PC projects for other companies. I mostly see them as the Divekick people and the "we will help get your unreal engine game running better on PS3" people.

This has not been a good week for Dave Lang. If this wasn't their fault I really hope IG doesn't suffer due to this; their classic capcom ports last on last gen machines were stellar.

Lijik

I feel like GB should record a breaking news podcast on the Batman and Destiny stories.

I know they have the Beastcast but I feel like Jeff might have insight on both stories.

They can just call in their resident Hottest Mess expert at the top of the beastcast

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Early on somebody said that Iron Galaxy only did the Steam integration, but I never actually saw any proof of it. Either way it's hard to jump to conclusions about how much a studio like theirs has done.

Jeff's right though, if they handled the port completely they would have a significant credit on the box or on the Steam page. Or if they didn't want their name associated with it, they probably would have submitted a late request to get John Vignocchi listed as the PC developer.

Egg0

Banned
Wow I didn't know IG was credited for the PC port of AK, sucks for Lang. Should've gotten Other Ocean or High Voltage.

SmithnCo

Jeff on mixlr talking about it now

http://mixlr.com/jeff-gerstmann/

saying

"saying they did the port is taking it too far"
says their ports usually have their name on the box
thinks they came in quite late
but not sure..?

I'd love to hear the full story on this port one day. Hard to assign blame when something goes through multiple devs like this apparently has. Besides blaming WB for putting it out in that state to begin with.

Megasoum

Banned
Early on somebody said that Iron Galaxy only did the Steam integration, but I never actually saw any proof of it. Either way it's hard to jump to conclusions about how much a studio like theirs has done.

Jeff's right though, if they handled the port completely they would have a significant credit on the box or on the Steam page. Or if they didn't want their name associated with it, they probably would have submitted a late request to get John Vignocchi listed as the PC developer.

They did the PC Port

Fox318

I'd love to hear the full story on this port one day. Hard to assign blame when something goes through multiple devs like this apparently has. Besides blaming WB for putting it out in that state to begin with.

You will never hear these stories.

We still haven't heard about the 38 studios disaster. I mean look at the amount of tax payer money that the state invested in a studio that made nothing.

Hell wasn't Rich Gallup lead producer with no prior experience with a big budget title?

danm999

They're listed on the Steamdb as having worked on it, and the credits list them as having provided engineering and PC support.

What that means nobody knows is speculation from what I've seen, whether they did the full port or they did minimal work towards the end.

hamchan

They're listed on the Steamdb as having worked on it, and the credits list them as having provided engineering and PC support.

What that means nobody knows is speculation from what I've seen, whether they did the full port or they did minimal work towards the end.

It would be sad if they really only did minimal work, since it seems they're the lighting rod for all the criticism now. Poor Dave Lang.

You will never hear these stories.

We still haven't heard about the 38 studios disaster. I mean look at the amount of tax payer money that the state invested in a studio that made nothing.

Hell wasn't Rich Gallup lead producer with no prior experience with a big budget title?

I don't know what it says about the journalism side of this industry that we've never gotten a single big expose story.

I was real upset that Bungie was forcing their existing playerbase to spend $60 to get The Taken King with the exclusive collector's edition emotes so I'm thrilled to hear that they have apologized and are now allowing me to spend $40 and then an additional $20 to get The Taken King with the exclusive collector's edition emotes. What a humble group they are.

demidar

I was real upset that Bungie was forcing their existing playerbase to spend $60 to get The Taken King with the exclusive collector's edition emotes so I'm thrilled to hear that they have apologized and are now allowing me to spend $40 and then an additional $20 to get The Taken King with the exclusive collector's edition emotes. What a humble group they are.

I'm not so good at maths, but if they say it's better value then by golly I'll believe them!

danm999

I'm like 90% sure that the final response is going to be "FUCK IT, NO MORE PC PORTS" from WB

I doubt it, that's leaving an awful lot of money on the table. I'm guessing WB just got side-swiped here by the Steam refund thing earlier in the month.

It basically changed the game by making all that pre-order money no longer a sure thing.

Fox318

I don't know what it says about the journalism side of this industry that we've never gotten a single big expose story.

None of these guys want to cut off any relationships in the industry. In order to do a big expose about something they need to do that a little. When EA and activision were pushing employee's work hours we barly heard a peep about it.

And lets face it how many of the people who start out in writing about games wind up making games.

Luke Smith, Jeff Green, Shane Bettenhausen, Greg Kasavin, Alex Navaro, Matt Rorie...

I'm sure Jeff had offers to be a community manager around the time Whiskey was going down.

Jeff may be one of the few writers that never crossed over and he doesn't really write anymore.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

So does the rule of three apply to becoming the internet's new public enemy #1? If so, who wants to take bets on what other Giant Bomb after show panelist will have some sort of mob after them this week? Dave Lang and Luke Smith (mostly through decisions they probably couldn't have actually made any better) have set a high bar.

I'm honestly surprised people still care enough about Destiny to complain. I know its the internet, but I would have thought people would just get over or ignore its bs by now.

danm999

So does the rule of three apply to becoming the internet's new public enemy #1? If so, who wants to take bets on what other Giant Bomb after show panelist will have some sort of mob after them this week? Dave Lang and Luke Smith (mostly through decisions they probably couldn't have actually made any better) have set a high bar.

It will come out Lorne Lanning has been murdering people in VR during LSD binges for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom