• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

lol, the crash in the Payday QL

I liked the first game and though about getting this port, but I heard iffy things about it. It crashing in during the QL of course killed any interest I might have had. Got DS2 instead because I have not played that and it was on sale.

FStop7

Banned
We've seen the Destiny apologists infiltrate this thread too. Remember that guy a few weeks ago that insisted he was "ok with people not liking Destiny" while aggressively trying to rebuke anyone who said anything negative about the game? It's comical how weirdly defensive that game's base is.

But enough about Brad...

Zaph

What bugs me about Bungie is how the hell they managed to break away from MS (while remaining mostly intact), which is no small feat, and then sleepwalked into an even worse contract with Activision. Did their management team become completely inept overnight?

Getting funding for a large AAA studio accustomed to luxurious dev cycles isn't easy, I'll give them that, but they made fucking Halo. They should have been able to do better.

My only guess is that the perceived state of the industry at the end of last gen really screwed them. Everyone was acting like the sky is falling and next gen would flop, so very few pubs were willing to cut a check?

Maybe someone should do one of those big writeup posts about game development, those usually get a lot of attention when they're well written. Like that Bioshock Vigors and Snake Oil topic from a few weeks back.

Zaph

chiming in on the iron galaxy stuff
i think frank is spot on here:
https://storify.com/kingmunch/batman

He absolutely has a fair point, and QA/devs do get the unfair end of the stick, but I'm sick to death of people in the industry (who, shockingly, are usually current/former journalists) expecting consumers to know the intricacies of game development, and direct their disappointment and frustration accordingly.

Are you fucking kidding me? This is already one of the worst industries for putting the risk and onus on the plate of consumers. I desperately want devs to be more front-facing and enjoy the benefits of artists within other mediums, but that shit goes both ways. If you want your name on the box and accurate credit listings, you're going to catch some shrapnel too if your game turns out to be a dud. And if you weren't in control of that game becoming a dud? Well maybe this is the type of motivation needed to encourage devs and their advocates to fight for better deals.

Chances are, if you're on GAF, you're in the upper 1% of gamers who pay attention to the industry, so yeah, you can probably put 2 + 2 together and realise the blame doesn't lay squarely with Rocksteady or IG, but that definitely doesn't apply to the larger game buying public.

That attitude - when in doubt, criticise the consumer - is basically one of the major reasons why there is such a distrust for the enthusiast press and led to such a build up that it ended up hurting the newer generation of independent devs who didn't deserve it.

He absolutely has a fair point, and QA/devs do get the unfair end of the stick, but I'm sick to death of people in the industry (who, shockingly, are usually current/former journalists) expecting consumers to know the intricacies of game development, and direct their disappointment and frustration accordingly.

Are you fucking kidding me? This is already one of the worst industries for putting the risk and onus on the plate of consumers. I desperately want devs to be more front-facing and enjoy the benefits of artists within other mediums, but that shit goes both ways. If you want your name on the box and accurate credit listings, you're going to catch some shrapnel too if your game turns out to be a dud. And if you weren't in control of that game becoming a dud? Well maybe this is the type of motivation needed to encourage devs and their advocates to fight for better deals.

Chances are, if you're on GAF, you're in the upper 1% of gamers who pay attention to the industry, so yeah, you can probably put 2 + 2 together and realise the blame doesn't lay squarely with Rocksteady or IG, but that definitely doesn't apply to the larger game buying public.

That attitude - when in doubt, criticise the consumer - is basically one of the major reasons why there is such a distrust for the enthusiast press and led to such a build up that it ended up hurting the newer generation of independent devs who didn't deserve it.
To be fair, most casual buyers would put the blame on WB first since they're the ones who have their logo across everything.

Myggen

I think your "don't blame the consumer" rant is misdirected here. This is about who has the ultimate blame for shit like this most of the time. Consumers are free to shit on all the developers in the world and do that on a regular basis, no one's stopping them (as you can see on GAF and Reddit).

mattp

i should have included this tweet in there too

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/613415247253102592

@atweetingtwit
@frankcifaldi If I'm learning anything from your mentions, it's that game consumers have NO idea how their sausage is made but think they do

@frankcifaldi
Frank Cifaldi retweeted Stiv
It's not their fault, we've treated video game development like it's secret voodoo magic for years now, it's stupid.

getting old jimmy

10269_angry-throwing-coach.gif

Chuck

Still without luck
Rewatching the conference videos. It's pretty fucking hilarious that every time Alex suggests a possibility, everyone says no no no, no way. And they're right. lol

Patryn

What bugs me about Bungie is how the hell they managed to break away from MS (while remaining mostly intact), which is no small feat, and then sleepwalked into an even worse contract with Activision. Did their management team become completely inept overnight?

Getting funding for a large AAA studio accustomed to luxurious dev cycles isn't easy, I'll give them that, but they made fucking Halo. They should have been able to do better.

My only guess is that the perceived state of the industry at the end of last gen really screwed them. Everyone was acting like the sky is falling and next gen would flop, so very few pubs were willing to cut a check?

I have little doubt the problem was Bungie wanting to retain the IP. That's where the money is made, so the publisher has to make up that money some other way.

See also: Titanfall exclusivity on the XBox One.

Myggen

can one really call Linkin Park "alternative rock?" what are they the alternative to? good taste? bands that aren't popular for no reason?

Better to not get upset about genre classifications. I remember when I cared about what sub genre of metal a band was, it was a dark time.

Zaph

To be fair, most casual buyers would put the blame on WB first since they're the ones who have their logo across everything.

So do Rocksteady. In fact, I think their logo is even larger (not that it really matters). And they of course get an intro movie as well as first billing in the credits. Again, to be perfectly clear, I'm not saying the fault is completely with them, but the consumer should not be expected to give a shit enough to know exactly who's fault it is.

Perfect example - if a layman looks up 'QA', they'll find 'Quality Assurance'. Should we expect them to know the more accurate title is 'Quality Suggestions And Hope An Engineer Gets Assigned And Given Time'?

It just grates me a lot when I see journalists so quick to correct the consumer but then their shitty site is usually plastered in ads to pre-order the next big game.

@frankcifaldi
Frank Cifaldi retweeted Stiv
It's not their fault, we've treated video game development like it's secret voodoo magic for years now, it's stupid.

That's good to see, but it only addresses one small part of the overall onus which has been slowly but surely brought over to the side of consumers for the last few years - something the enthusiast press are complicit in.

Thankfully, entities like the EU are helping to address the balance by bringing back rights to empower the customer, rather than hoping internet outrage will get the job done.

I think your "don't blame the consumer" rant is misdirected here. This is about who has the ultimate blame for shit like this most of the time. Consumers are free to shit on all the developers in the world and do that on a regular basis, no one's stopping them (as you can see on GAF and Reddit).

I don't think it's misdirected at all. I've set up my own business in the past, one that was completely at the mercy of another much, much larger entity. But it was still a concious choice to put myself/ourselves out there and stand by our service - nobody forced us to sign an unfair deal. If something screwed up, I would never expect a customer to really know or care who's ultimately to blame.

This industry needs to get its house in order - starting with the dev/pub relationship - trying to correct the consumer so they understand the skewed relationship isn't going to fix that.

Myggen

Watching the QL, it looks like Payday 2 does an even worse job at explaining itself to new players now than when I played it at launch. Parts of that game is a confusing mess.

Watching the QL, it looks like Payday 2 does an even worse job at explaining itself to new players now than when I played it at launch. Parts of that game is a confusing mess.

I played enough of it to get to the point where I was able to see that when everything comes together it's kind of cool, but so many times, it's just a mess. and then they just dump several years worth of updates on new players all at the same time...

Not surprised Jeff didn't like Payday 2, but I really do love that game and reccomend it - I'm a level 82 or something and how many ways a heist can go, combined with all the loadout customization, and that progression from stumbling idiots to skilled professionals who are straight up ghosting heists like the one where you
break into a senator's condo and replace his gold vault with a vault full of cocaine
is a really phenomenal effort of asymmetrical co-op and everything. Like if you're always playing with pubbies and A.I. you're sure to have a bad experience, granted, but when it clicks, it fucking clicks.

FStop7

Banned
It's not the customer's responsibity to please understand. They bought something and it's broken straight out of te box. Fucking fix it. Don't jerk off on Twitter with long-winded, self-important, condescending tutorials on the technicalities of your industry. Just fucking fix it.

Myggen

It's not the customer's responsibity to please understand. They bought something and it's broken straight out of te box. Fucking fix it. Don't jerk off on Twitter with long-winded, self-important, condescending tutorials on the technicalities of your industry. Just fucking fix it.

Don't think Frank Cifaldi has anything to do with Arkham Knight.

Myggen

Yes I understand that, ffs. But his attitude is prevailent and this broken game shit has been going on for a long time.

Sure, but it has to be possible to explain how this happens and who's largely at fault without people screaming JUST FIX THE GAME!!!!! Of course the dev should fix the game, but a better understanding about the industry never hurts.

Also, your rant made it sound like you wanted Cifaldi to get off Twitter and fix Arkham himself or something.

I'm waiting on how this shakes out who did what when under what circumstances. And I do wanna know.

My problem with Drive Club is that I miss all the modern assists they've removed for seemingly no reason other than to prove that they're hard core.

*thatescalatedquickly.gif*

"It's the Dark Souls of Driving Games!"

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
He just wants to educate people about how things work. People are already posting stuff like this and that's what he's talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom