• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

daydream

Banned
bizarrely that thread and people flipping out about the tweet just prompted me to go through and prune about half of my twitter follow list. even people who I genuinely like who use it as a platform to talk about depressing things or complain a lot.

what's your handle

we need to start a gbgaf twitter list

Any time anyone is bummed about Jeff, who is just one person, seeming unenthusiastic about a game they like (or want to like) just remember this:

He dislikes Red Dead Redemption.

It just one man's opinion! I would describe Jeff as skeptical rather than jaded.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
There is really no such thing as a review that is objective.
Don't tell that to anyone in review threads.

Any time anyone is bummed about Jeff, who is just one person, seeming unenthusiastic about a game they like (or want to like) just remember this:

He dislikes Red Dead Redemption.

It just one man's opinion! I would describe Jeff as skeptical rather than jaded.
Jeff's skepticism is the best thing about his style. There are way too many blind followers playing games nowadays

Lunar FC

People are freaking because he said the game didn't grab him? The fact that people let somebody else's opinion on a video game affect them is mind blowing to me.

The whole situation is especially weird to me because he's one guy, not even doing this for a review.

It would be like if someone found my nonexistant Twitter where I said I didn't like the game and freaked out about it.

fuzzyset

Dragon Age Inquisition had similar levels of reviews a week before launch as well. I don't think anyone on GAF actually likes that game. Jeff is just ahead of the curve (
or him not liking an open world fantasy RPG is not surprising at all.
).

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Game A has
✓ Graphics
✓ Sound
✓ Gameplay

Game B has
✓ Graphics
✓ Sound
✓ Gameplay
✓ Racing Wheel compatibility

Game B is objectively superior because it has more check marks.

He liked skyrim!

If you take a masterwork sculpture of indescribable beauty and shave off all the sharp edges from it all you're left with is a ball that people can play with. This is what mass-marketability is, and why Skyrim is so broadly appealing.

It's a bit of a bummer, really.

Zaph

Game A has
✓ Graphics
✓ Sound
✓ Gameplay

Game B has
✓ Graphics
✓ Sound
✓ Gameplay

Do you have a site I could follow? I'm so sick of jaded and bought-off reviewers.

Egg0

Banned
I can't wait for GOTY talks where Jeff argues for Bloodborne over Witcher 3. To everyone's confusion/amazement.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Game A has
✓ Graphics
✓ Sound
✓ Gameplay

Game B has
✓ Graphics
✓ Sound
✓ Gameplay

What if someone made the game equivalent of 4′33″ man.

Where's it's all about what's not there.

It'll like, break down the walls of objectivism man.

I can't wait for GOTY talks where Jeff argues for Bloodborne over Witcher 3. To everyone's confusion/amazement.

No one else will be arguing for it. They'll have it on the list, and then Jeff or Brad will challenge it going "I finished this game I like, did anyone finish Witcher 3?" to which point Brad will slip DotA 2 into the top ten somehow.

Brad, you monster.

Don't tell that to anyone in review threads.

Jeff's skepticism is the best thing about his style. There are way too many blind followers playing games nowadays
Yep. In Jar Times and other avenues where he broaches the issue of trusting reviews, Jeff is always quick to recommend building knowledge of any particular reviewers likes or dislikes and use that to inform how useful a review is.

Personally, I'm surprised Jeff still resists against just abolishing scores. The five point system is decent, but I guess he realises there's still a contigent that doesn't place value on a buyer's guide that doesn't have that quantifiable metric at the end.

Anyway, the first two Witcher games never grabbed me either, but I'm still excited for this one, preloaded and ready to go. If nothing else, I feel partially obligated to support CD Projekt's consumer-friendly approach and old-school ethos.

Egg0

Banned
No one else will be arguing for it. They'll have it on the list, and then Jeff or Brad will challenge it going "I finished this game I like, did anyone finish Witcher 3?" to which point Brad will slip DotA 2 into the top ten somehow.

Brad, you monster.

At least it won't be Destiny.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Game Room was so great. Like 95% of the games should have been free for opening the damned thing. They never got to a point where they were releasing games from a time where games are still actually playable, it was full of terrible home ports of arcade games that themselves aren't great to play but were at least influential, they fucking sold Venetian Blinds for money, everything about Game Room is a fever dream.

justjim89

Kinda bummed it seems like the most W3 coverage we'll get is out of GBeast, but it sure seems like a Vinny game. So as mentioned, we'll get 10 minutes or so on the Bombcast and a QL out of GBeast. Then, when GOTY rolls around, it'll be one of those things that get kinda passed over cause Jeff didn't care for it and no one else played it substantially. But hey, them's the breaks.

Also, this is my first time listening to Jeff's mixlr and holy shit, it's like a concentrated version of his already substantial cynicism. It makes me kinda feel bad for him. Then again, nobody is likely to be psyched on their way to work.

Game Room was so great. Like 95% of the games should have been free for opening the damned thing. They never got to a point where they were releasing games from a time where games are still actually playable, it was full of terrible home ports of arcade games that themselves aren't great to play but were at least influential, they fucking sold Venetian Blinds for money, everything about Game Room is a fever dream.

the best part about the game room quick looks is that IIRC, you could play a trial mode of any game, and yet jeff still bought all of them so he could play them for like 8 minutes and then never turn them on again

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The only thing really bothering me in that review thread is how many people said CDPR paid for Gamespot to fly to Poland and cover the game. They even put it in every video that that's not the case. So much ethics, so little reward.

the best part about the game room quick looks is that IIRC, you could play a trial mode of any game, and yet jeff still bought all of them so he could play them for like 8 minutes and then never turn them on again

and at least once an episode he reminded you that it was his own money

The only thing really bothering me in that review thread is how many people said CDPR paid for Gamespot to fly to Poland and cover the game. They even put it in every video that that's not the case. So much ethics, so little reward.

Yeah... at least they had the foresight to add a disclaimer so it was clear. The production values do make it seem like something more than a special feature, which is why the whole thing was so impressive. Very well done.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

I'd forgotten about the trials.

Jeff paid $3 for a tech demo made solely to say "Fuck you" to a lawsuit from three decades prior. He paid real money for an emulated version of a sarcastic response to a subpoena, when there was an option to get the entire experience for a free trial.

And they say he doesn't love video games.

Zaph

Gamespot's policies to do with publisher relations have been all over the place lately, so I don't really blame people for questioning the veracity of those claims. It's definitely at the lower end of the thread's craziness.

and at least once an episode he reminded you that it was his own money

The episode where they had to blur out his credit card info as he added points to his account to buy more Game Room games is a particularly choice cut.

I believe that's also the one where everyone was evacuating the office as they were recording due to it smelling like swamp gas.

Myggen

People don't let disclaimers get in the way of making a poorly thought-out point.

People don't let disclaimers get in the way of making a poorly thought-out point.

Honestly, I didn't like Gamespots coverage of the Witcher 3. Yeah, GS may have paid for their own transportation, but CDPR probably invited them, and the whole coverage that GS had is just one big PR setpiece.

Patryn

Dragon Age Inquisition had similar levels of reviews a week before launch as well. I don't think anyone on GAF actually likes that game. Jeff is just ahead of the curve (
or him not liking an open world fantasy RPG is not surprising at all.
).

Raises hand.

I liked, and still like, Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom