• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

Hello,

I reinstalled WWE Supercard.
smh.gifvek0c.gif

For all the people talking about how disappointing Skyrim was compared to previous games, I was in the same camp about SR3.

God knows how terribly the game holds up now (it looked like shit at the time), but SR2 was soooo much more feature-rich than SR3, so many more missions, fantastic side activities (Hot Fuzz is maybe the best open world side mission ever), more content. The city actually had personality (granted they just built on the SR1 city) with a ton of interiors including a Museum of Science and Technology, gigantic indoor mall, and massive underground Area 51 base.

Story is always subjective but I always preferred SR2's psychopathic Saints boss and separate faction campaigns, and interesting and diverse gameplay throughout its campaign. People will argue that SR3's singleplayer was better based off a handful of missions towards the end, forgetting that almost an entire Act of that game's missions was just introductions to all the side activities.

Edit: I did have a lot of fun with SR3, mind you. And I don't know that I could ever go back to SR2 because I assume it has aged terribly. But ya SR3 kinda elicited some of the same feelings in me as Skyrim did for some people.

jaina

For all the people talking about how disappointing Skyrim was compared to previous games, I was in the same camp about SR3.

God knows how terribly the game holds up now (it looked like shit at the time), but SR2 was soooo much more feature-rich than SR3, so many more missions, fantastic side activities (Hot Fuzz is maybe the best open world side mission ever), more content. The city actually had personality (granted they just built on the SR1 city) with a ton of interiors including a Museum of Science and Technology, gigantic indoor mall, and massive underground Area 51 base.

Story is always subjective but I always preferred SR2's psychopathic Saints boss and separate faction campaigns, and interesting and diverse gameplay throughout its campaign. People will argue that SR3's singleplayer was better based off a handful of missions towards the end, forgetting that almost an entire Act of that game's missions was just introductions to all the side activities.

I promise to give SR2 a chance eventually. Already own it because of a humble bundle.

I promise to give SR2 a chance eventually. Already own it because of a humble bundle.

It was totally great, though honestly I don't know how well it would hold up. The one thing SR3 unequivocally improved on was in the areas of graphics, feel of the gameplay/gunplay, and general polish. SR2 was rough as fuck in those regards.

edit: what Myggen said

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Both SR3 and Skyrim are fantastic.

Morrowind is still my favorite by far. I bought it again during the Steam sale and started a play through. I'm planning on sticking with it even though some of the mechanics haven't aged well. The diversity in landscape and architecture are what nails it for me. Each area feels different. Everything in Skyrim felt like a carbon copy. And the levelling system in Oblivion made the game dull.

Myggen

Morrowind is still my favorite by far. I bought it again during the Steam sale and started a play through. I'm planning on sticking with it even though some of the mechanics haven't aged well. The diversity in landscape and architecture are what nails it for me. Each area feels different. Everything in Skyrim felt like a carbon copy. And the levelling system in Oblivion made the game dull.

Morriwind is one of my all time favourites, but I still regard Skyrim as a fantastic game. That goes double now with mods.

Myggen

He's playing the damn game anyway! Just put a camera on it and there's another two hours of premium content that most members will love.

But again, it's a principle with them of not doing that with a new game. You'll never get anything like that with a new game.

Xater

My favorite Elder Scrolls game is -insert first Elder Scrolls game you played here-.

My first was Morrowind, I think Oblivion was better and I think Skyrim made no progress and/or made things worse. The world which basically reacts to nothing you do is probably my biggest complain of the Elder Scrolls series.

Myggen

didn't they do the persona 4 run after that game was old news

They did both the P4 ER and the DP ER when both those games were fairly new I think, which is what Jeff has said they won't do again due to ethical concerns on his part of playing through a new, narrative-driven game.

Are there no videos from the show floor going up this year? :\

I like the E3 content a lot, but it would be nice to actually have some content from E3 itself. The floor tours are always great. A real shame if they didn't bother this year.

Xater

I like the E3 content a lot, but it would be nice to actually have some content from E3 itself. The floor tours are always great. A real shame if they didn't bother this year.

They probably barely were on the floor, because these days everything is so appointment driven. When I cover Gamescom I also only go to my appointments, because fuck going on the floor.

They did both the P4 ER and the DP ER when both those games were fairly new I think, which is what Jeff has said they won't do again due to ethical concerns on his part of playing through a new, narrative-driven game.

P4 was atleast 3-4 years old at that point

Deadly Premonition was newish but it's ok because swery is a friend of the site™.

Jeff mentioned they mostly did appointments this year, that they weren't on the floor so much like in past years.

They probably barely were on the floor, because these days everything is so appointment driven. When I cover Gamescom I also only go to my appointments, because fuck going on the floor.

A real shame :(

That last video they did from PAX pre-show etc was amazing. Gives you a real insight in to what the show itself is like on the ground.

danm999

Morriwind is one of my all time favourites, but I still regard Skyrim as a fantastic game. That goes double now with mods.

Morrowind's story is so fucking good.

All the shit with Almsivi and the betrayal at Red Mountain. With all the Dunmer clans and the Empire and Dagoth Ur. And fucking CHIM.

Bethesda Game Studios made that fucking game and then turned around and made Oblivion and Skyrim. I mean, what the fuck. It'd be like if Dostoevsky turned around and wrote 50 Shades of Gray after War and Peace.

In reality, probably the person/people behind Morrowind's story left after that game which is why Oblivion and Skyrim are extremely vanilla fantasy stories.

Bethesda games are garbage. :x

I've never found one to be terribly compelling or interesting, Skyrim least of all. Oh it has no shortage of objectives and things to do, but everything is just dull and I honestly can't remember one name of anyone. Fallout 4 looks a little more interesting at least.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Jeff should go to the World's Ugliest Dog contest. It's held in Petaluma.
http://m.nydailynews.com/life-style/2015-world-ugliest-dog-competition-gallery-1.2273527
Content.

Bethesda games are garbage. :x

I've never found one to be terribly compelling or interesting, Skyrim least of all. Oh it has no shortage of objectives and things to do, but everything is just dull and I honestly can't remember one name of anyone. Fallout 4 looks a little more interesting at least.
If I was 12 years old again and could only get 1 game every six months, they'd probably be pretty cool.

colinp

Banned
Morrowind's story is so fucking good.

All the shit with Almsivi and the betrayal at Red Mountain. With all the Dunmer clans and the Empire and Dagoth Ur. And fucking CHIM.

Bethesda Game Studios made that fucking game and then turned around and made Oblivion and Skyrim. I mean, what the fuck. It'd be like if Dostoevsky turned around and wrote 50 Shades of Gray after War and Peace.

In reality, probably the person/people behind Morrowind's story left after that game which is why Oblivion and Skyrim are extremely vanilla fantasy stories.

Ummm, Dostoevsky didn't write War & Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom