• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seventy70

Woof. That Destiny video is some strong shit, really interesting examination. Let's look at the comments, shall we?

aoQuwsW.png

deaddove.gif

Is that Brad?

Destiny fans are the worst.

Is there another game as high profile as Destiny where the developers flat out lied to such a large extent? I remember there's a dev video where they're showing an area and talking about how you can go anywhere and in the real game there are invisible walls everywhere in the relatively small zone :/

FStop7

Banned
Yeah Desert Golf isn't very good. No idea where all the praise comes from. Stickman golf is 1000x better

I've had it on my phone for months. I play it once every few weeks, for about 30 minutes. It never got its hooks into me. I don't like the physics. But it's not bad for killing small amounts of time.

Is there another game as high profile as Destiny where the developers flat out lied to such a large extent? I remember there's a dev video where they're showing an area and talking about how you can go anywhere and in the real game there are invisible walls everywhere in the relatively small zone :/
tGbZiSo.jpg

I joke. Kind of.

danm999

Woof. That Destiny video is some strong shit, really interesting examination. Let's look at the comments, shall we?

aoQuwsW.png

deaddove.gif

I have no clue how this person got there on that logic.

Oh for sure. Molyneaux, Randy Pitchford, etc.

I mean, even Bungie is an old hand at this. The first Halo 2 demo or whatever of the New Mombassa level ending up looking NOTHING like what was in the game.

danm999

Destiny does that to people

You would say that but you probably supported the Holocaust.

Am I doing it right?

Yeah but good piece by Danny. I sometimes forget how articulate he can be since he's doing dumb shit with Giant Bomb so often as my main point of contact.

I imagine the thought process there is that due to Destiny's relatively positive reviews it's similar to an objective law that it is a good game. Which is of course absurd but most people don't seem to understand that reviews are subjective.

And yeah, Colonial Marines is probably the worst example as not a single drop of real gameplay was released until the game launched with nothing in common. Still can't believe the situation with that game.

Rainmaker

Banned
I haven't played Destiny in over a week and don't even feel the need to anymore. I have all of the loot the game offers that I wanted outside of stuff that requires me to beg to be carried by the few people that are extremely good at PvP (the loot I wanted the most). I grew really tired of the hardcore fans defending it so blindly and then everyone else constantly crapping on it/the people that play to a ridiculous degree. I want so much more from that game and it's not ever going to be that (sometimes I think a lot of the community wants it to be a different game than I do). Me not paying for the next DLC isn't going to change anything but I feel a little better not participating or supporting what they've done. Maybe one day Bungie/Activision will get it right.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I haven't played Destiny in over a week and don't even feel the need to anymore. I grew really tired of the hardcore fans defending it so blindly and then everyone else constantly crapping on it/the people that play to a ridiculous degree. I want so much more from that game and it's not ever going to be that (sometimes I think a lot of the community wants it to be a different game than I do). Me not paying for the next DLC isn't going to change anything but I feel a little better not participating or supporting what they've done. Maybe one day Bungie/Activision will get it right.

Hail 2 U brother.

danm999

I'm currently playing Lightning Returns for some fucking reason so I'm not sure I have the right to talk down to anybody about what they're playing.

DMC4 is an action game with unparalleled depth. Destiny is a shooter that "feels good" in the vaguest sense as no one can ever seem to explain otherwise.

No one also really denies that what sucks about DMC4 is straight garbage, but god damn that combat system is so good.

Special Edition is also 25 bucks, while people who've bought Destiny from day one have probably spent over a hundred by now to own all the content so eh.

daydream

Banned
Love the Beastcast. The whole ghost conversation had me laughing.

"You want ghost slaves Vinny!"

it was a great conversation until they mentioned the novelist which i did not like one bit and then vinny brought up ghost trick and everything was fine again

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh I noticed alright.

TitS isn't really grabbing me as much as Ys, though I'm still enjoying it.

Mostly because Falcom characters feel like they fell out of the most generic 90s anime, but Ys pays so much less attention to them then TitS.

Pfffffff....

I can't get into Witcher 3. I hate the delay on Geralt's movements, and I feel like I should have played the previous two games first despite knowing what a clusterfuck the first one was. All these people, things I'm supposed to recognize, and it's all meaningless. Just walking from A to B, use my Witcher sense a bit, exchange a conversation, and usually fight off some monsters. What am I missing that strikes so hotly with so many people?

demidar

TitS isn't really grabbing me as much as Ys, though I'm still enjoying it.

Mostly because Falcom characters feel like they fell out of the most generic 90s anime, but Ys pays so much less attention to them then TitS.

I can see that, TitS slowly ramps up until the final stretch where it goes full-on afterburner.

Let's just say there's a reason why people are pining deeply for Second Chapter.

Anjin M

We're talking trash about Destiny? Fantastic. Destiny is a bad a game and everyone who plays it BreezyLimbo should feel bad.

That really hurts BanGy. :(

I like Destiny, but I play it like I play Windows Solitaire. It's relaxing. So it's a massively AAA way to unwind that costs way too much. I'm never going to love it, even though I've spend more time playing it than any other game on PS4. But I like it and that's okay for me.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I can see that, TitS slowly ramps up until the final stretch where it goes full-on afterburner.

Let's just say there's a reason why people are pining deeply for Second Chapter.

Looking forward to it!

On the otherhand, this also makes me dread how goddamn long it takes for this series to localise.

TitS seemed cool, but I ditched after about 8 hours because I got really bored with the gameplay

BUT, Trails of Cold Steel is coming out this year and it's also supposed to be pretty good, while being...well, somewhat more modern
and more anime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT21B0K_5YI

hopefully that will feed my Falcom needs until Tokyo Xanadu comes along

e: posted totally wrong link haha

Trails in the Sky gradually gets better as it goes along, and by the time you get to the last chapter its really fucking good. Gameplay can get stale from how easy the game is until a certain point, but the characters and story are really well done.

Examining a treasure chest after you opened it is super quirky, but I love it.

danm999

Pfffffff....

I can't get into Witcher 3. I hate the delay on Geralt's movements, and I feel like I should have played the previous two games first despite knowing what a clusterfuck the first one was. All these people, things I'm supposed to recognize, and it's all meaningless. Just walking from A to B, use my Witcher sense a bit, exchange a conversation, and usually fight off some monsters. What am I missing that strikes so hotly with so many people?

How deep in are you?

The first few hours aren't the most amazing, especially since your Gwent deck sucks.

justjim89

Watching the Gamespot Destiny video and yeah, good stuff. It feels like the kinda thing I'd find on SuperBunnyhop instead of something as major as Gamespot.

Also, stating the obvious, Danny is a really good on-camera personality. He's gonna have a TV show someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom